Kayaking Gloves: This massage therapist cannot get blisters

Hi!
Just beginning my second season. First day out, kayaked 10 miles and got blisters. Ugh.
As a massage therapist, I cannot afford blisters, and even more so calluses.

Can anyone recommend a kayaking glove? Preferably fingerless.

Thanks!

1 Like

I feel your pain. I always get blisters if I paddle without gloves - guess I’m just a delicate flower. I have three different versions of NRS gloves, two of which are fingerless. They all work well. One is a bit more substantial than the other - one is more summerweight. Even bike gloves would work, but they probably tend to soak up more water.

I think my real problem is that I tend to have a slight grip of death on the shaft, which I continue to try to work on.

1 Like

My wife wears NRS Womens boaters gloves and is very happy with them, she’s one her second pair. These gloves also happen to be the only ones that she could find that fit her hand well, they are not puffy in the palm.

3 Likes

I’ve always found that gloves give me blisters but was recently loaned a pair of NRS Skelton gloves for sun protection and I was pleased with them.

As someone mentioned the “paddle death grip” above - do make sure that your technique is good (no strangling that paddle!), and a lighter paddle may also help. The gloves aren’t a cure all.

Also note that I paddle a LOT (500+ miles this year so far) and I have very minimal calluses. Technique, technique, technique.

3 Likes

I have a light weight NRS fingerless glove I use paddling. I like fingerless gloves. I use sailing gloves to protect my hands from handling the sheets/lines (rope) while sailing. I ordered these a year ago and have been pleased. They are fingerless only on the thumb and forefinger. They were less expensive than the more well-known sailing brands but have held up well so far. I don’t know how the different sizes will work for you. the XL just fit me. I have large hands.

Amazon.com : MRX BOXING & FITNESS Sailing Gloves Sticky Palm Gripy Glove Yachting Kayak Dinghy Fishing 2 Cut Finger (White 2-XL)

You might want to check out sailing and fishing gloves for more options. Gill is a respected sailing brand.

1 Like

You need to be careful with some of the gloves on Amazon, EBay and other sites. Some have dyes in them that are water soluble and they actually stain your fingers. I had purple fingers for a week after using a pair of black NRS knockoffs I bought on EBay.

1 Like

I also have a pair of NRS Skeletons, which I like, but I more often reach for my Gore C-3s. They are marketed more for cycling, but they don’t have the extra padding on the palm that paddlers don’t need anyway. The long cuffs of the Skeletons offer more sun protection, but I prefer the feel of Gore’s more minimalist design. Also, the Gore gloves have little loops between the fingers that make it easy to get them off. Gloves, like hiking socks, need to fit snugly because loose fabric leads to abrasion … and blisters.

1 Like

Do you wash off the residue left on your palms and undersides of fingers from applying sunscreen? This is critical for good grip before you paddle, even if the goop claims to be “nongreasy.”

I always wash at least twice with dish detergent or plain Ivory bar soap. I found that it’s also important to wash in between the fingers, because after paddling and sweating sometimes the residue mixes with splash water and gets on the direct-contact hand parts.

The residue causes the paddler to grip the paddle harder even if they don’t realize it.

I like getting the calluses, or at least thickened skin on some parts of the hand’s underside. Blisters, while easy to get on those early-season paddles, are something that should go away.

1 Like

In all the years I’ve paddled , the only callus I’ve had is between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand.
I feather my paddle and that is my control hand that turns the paddle.
It sounds like a death grip issue.

1 Like

@StarlingGirl, I tried sailing gloves, similar to biking gloves. Wore twice, but didn’t like how they held water and shriveled my hands.

I get a blister in the “V” between the thumb and finger of right hand. Two middle fingers on the left hand gets a blister on either side of the middle joint. That tells me my paddle stroke isn’t applied equally on both sides - pulling to hard on the left and pushing too hard with the right. I need to focus on that the next time out. Thanks for pointing that out, because I never thought about it before.

1 Like

I have a pair of fingerless weight lifting gloves from almost 20 some years ago that are basically just mesh with a slightly padded palm (not across the whole Palm just the load bearing areas when you grip a shaft). In the last 15 years they’ve mostly been used for cycling and recently paddling. They were cheap from a big box sporting goods store years ago, might be an option to consider.

2 Likes

Hold the paddle looser that may help. No need for a death grip 95% of the time.

2 Likes

The NRS Hydroskin gloves work very well and are worth the price.

Technique is the most important, but the paddle shaft shape can make a difference. I prefer the shape of Lendal and Gram paddles.

1 Like

Gill Rigging gloves from any marine store. Iff fingerless.
Basic NRS gloves if fingered.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! I agree with the general consensus that gripping the paddle shaft too tightly is probably a big part of your issue. It’s very hard when you first start out not to do this, and I remember marveling at the loose grip the more experienced kayakers had.

Have you had any instruction or just getting out and paddling? It would be worth at least watching a few videos on proper paddling technique or to take a couple of lessons. I say this as someone who initially could not understand why on earth people were telling me to have lessons. Now a number of years later I see why and am always eager for more. Fun and makes your paddling more rewarding.

Also are you are using a heavy, inexpensive paddle? This will be more difficult. If you have a kayaking group or buddies or lessons, you will likely get to try out some better-quality paddles as well.

2 Likes

Completely concur. Gripping the paddle too tight is the normal cause of blisters that I have seen by myself and students…whether bare hands or with gloves.

2 Likes

If you want a lightweight glove with UV protection, check out the gloves offered by Buff: https://www.buff.com/us/gloves/gloves.html.

The fingers are slightly longer which keeps me from getting a callous right above my wedding ring, the wrists are longer so you can pull them over or unde shirt sleeves and they dry quickly. The only downside is I find they wear out quickly between the thumb and forefinger, much more so with my wood Greenland paddle than with my GearLab GL.

1 Like

Here is the most practical, cost efficient advice:

Choice one,go to any Walmart and buy the clearance non leather padded fingerless work out gloves usually about $5.00

Choice two, shop online at Amazon or sierra trading post for non leather, padded fingerless gloves usually about $8-11.

Never get leather gloves, they will easily crack and dry out, nor can you throw them in washer.

2 Likes

Hello Paddling.com, :kayak:

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses.

I belong to a local kayaking club and will seek additional grip training as many of you have mentioned. Being a newbie, I could certainly use more instruction on grip.

I appreciate the time that you took to share recommendations and links to gloves, the helpful grip advice, shaft shape considerations, and even to be aware of dye bleeds on lower quality gloves. Know that I took the time to read each of your responses. I would have loved to responded to each of you, but surprisingly there are so many.

Again, thank you. I look forward to spending time on this forum with your generous kind comments in the future.

Happy Paddling!

StarlingGirl

3 Likes

Best I’ve used are the Kokatat Paddling gloves, they seem to last longer and grip better than the NRS gloves or others I have tried: Lightweight Glove - Kokatat

1 Like