Kayaking in Myrtle Beach area

We are going to Myrtle Beach last week of March. I would like to bring a kayak or two. I’m looking for recommendations on where to use them and any information I might need to be aware of bringing a kayak from out of state. Any input would be great.
I’m think about the ICW or some of the marshes. I have a sit on top fishing kayak, a Jackson Coosa 11’. I know it’s best suited for fast moving creeks and some rapids, but surely it’d work to get me on the water here. I am looking to fish or just paddling.
We are coming from Indiana, so not much experience navigating this area.
Thanks!

I recommend you go south or north of the MB zoo for paddling.
We have spent a week at Litchfield Beach/ Pawleys Island for years. It is 20? Miles south of MB on US 17.
There is a public park with marsh access in Murrell’s Inlet, which is just North of Litchfield. There is also a throw in with decent parking , identified by an Oyster Shell Recycling sign. The marsh there is part of Huntington Beach State Park.
If you want to paddle the Waccamaw River, there is a public ramp also in Murrell’s Inlet on the land side of US 17. The landing is called Wacha Weeki. (sp)
All of these places are within a couple of miles of each other.
The river at that point is the ICW but there are many interesting creeks in the forest across the river, which is part of the National Wildlife Refuge.
If you are paddling the marsh, be aware of the tides because the low leaves many areas very shallow. In my opinion, the best time to go is from 2 hours before high tide until 2 hours after.
Every time we have had heavy rain this year, the Waccamaw has run very high. I won’t say flooded because it has many places to expand through the swamp.
Developers, who apparently own the legislature, now have permission to level and pave thousands of acres between Murrell’s Inlet and MB. That will increase the run off down the river. All those people leaving NY need somewhere to go! (Editorial comment).
You won’t see many on the water. It remains an uncrowded place.
If you want more info, send me a message or we can talk.
Jim

The Waccamaw north of North Myrtle Beach was a narrow, beautiful stream when I padded it a few years ago. Don’t know about now.

Thanks so much for the information.
I think I’ll check out the Murrell’s Inlet and Huntington Beach State Park area.
And I appreciate the advice on timing the tides.

@Sauce73 said:
Thanks so much for the information.
I think I’ll check out the Murrell’s Inlet and Huntington Beach State Park area.
And I appreciate the advice on timing the tides.

You’re welcome. You’ll love the marsh
by the state park. Lots of birds of all kinds . BTW, our post paddle tradition is the River City Grill on 17 alt in Murrell’s Inlet. Great burgers and sweet potato fries.