kayaking in summer

Learn to roll
Seriously - when you have the boat and the time together for this, it’s the best way to stay cool.

id love to learn
to roll looks fun

easy

– Last Updated: May-21-11 7:05 PM EST –

Flip upside down and inhale. Cools you right down.

Get up real early and paddle while it’s
cooler. On the dam-controlled rivers, you’ll avoid the paddling crowds. Just check to see when the dam release occurs. When the Nantahala releases early, I drive from Atlanta and put on at 8:30, and have the river to myself. The Hiwassee often doesn’t release until mid-day. The metro Chattahoochee always has enough water, and lately it has often had too much for most paddlers to be safe (4000-6000cfs).

Don’t go just by the stated temperature. In Atlanta, if the temperature is 95, the humidity is relatively low, and paddling isn’t too bad. But summer temperatures in the upper 80s are often accompanied by high humidity which can be intolerable. Another thing, even on very hot days in Atlanta, the relative humidity often drops after 6 PM, and I can cut the lawn or paddle the river in relative comfort.

NY summers…
Get pretty hot, and REALLY humid. I have been out on the bay in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity. When you hit a big swell and get drenched, it feels quite amazing :slight_smile: I live along Lake Ontario, and I believe the bay can warm up to 60 degree water temp or warmer in the summer (probably 70 in the sandbar area). Luckily there is usually a nice lake breeze to keep you from over heating, and I always take lots of water. I have a 1/2 gal coleman water jug that keeps water and ice cold for many hours on end! I also like to bring a granola bar or two, preferably one with a bit of a sodium kick to it, because I sweat a bit and lose salt fast while sweating.

I prefer to kayak in warm weather, but then again we get snow here…

FL SUMMERS
Gets quite hot and humid down here, but never too hot to kayak. Select rivers/streams with lots of tree cover, or go out early to the bay and catch the breezes.

Roll and Paddle Morning/Evening
Rolling is fun to learn, funner to do, and keeps you cool.

If it gets too hot in the day, go early morning, or evening. Sunset is my fav time for being on the water.

Oh, and wear a full brimmed hat