Kayaking the Georgian Bay area ??

Looking for suggestions for places to paddle on the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron. Day trips, possible overnighter. Where one can camp on the mainland, launch sites and islands to visit? Partner is new to kayaking so want to keep to more sheltered waters.

Take a look at Massasauga Provincial Park. I was there with a group last June and it may fit your needs. We camped two nights on Sharpe Island - sites 328 - 329 - 330 and did a day trip out to Wreck Island. Our last night was back at Blackstone Harbor, a short paddle from the launch/take out at Pete’s Place Access. The area is well protected and there are lots of islands to hide behind when needed. Speaking of lots of islands, be sure that you have decent maps & charts and your navigation skills are in decent shape. You do need to have reservations in season.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/themassasauga

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=45.16097906961315%2C-79.98441718481445&spn=0.051103%2C0.072012&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&z=15&ie=UTF8&mid=1y_yCb5ZdhEQ68aLEnaCu_pGqXok

Is there a particular part of Georgian Bay you have your heart set on, or that you’re close to? It’s a huge area and conditions can get pretty serious in some places. @rival51 gave some good suggestions, as most of Massassauga’s waters are about as protected as it gets for Georgian Bay and camp sites are obvious. Depending on whether you have some particular locations in mind, I might be able to point out some other spots.

Much of Georgian Bay is not day tripping territory. French River Provincial Park is wonderful but it takes two days of paddling to get to the Bay… Many campsites in FRPP that are protected but also a portage may be required depending on water levels.
Kilbear Park is a possibility near Nobel . You can contact White Squall in Parry Sound for launch places near there.

To answer Sparky961"s question, there is no particular section of the Georgian Bay that I am looking at. We are looking to make our way to Michigan’s Upper Peninsular and one route would have us driving past the Georgian Bay so thought if we are going by it, then it would be nice to at least paddle something that would be an aesthetic day or two or three on the water, but not have to be too concerned about the waters becoming suddenly big and a lot to handle as one of us does not have a lot of boat time. Also where can I track down maps for sections people are recommending.

This post made me curious about the Great Lakes so I did a little searching. As a southerner I’ve never lived or paddled the lakes (although I’ve seen a couple of them) so they’re a bit unknown to me. To my surprise there at 35,000 islands in the lakes. That’s incredible. There must be fantastic places to visit and paddle. One of these summers I’m going to have to make a trip up there. The hard part is to figure out exactly where.

You will go right along The North Channel Lake Huron
https://www.northeasternontario.com/paddling-the-north-channel/

Looks like a nice spot.

On one of my trips to the area, we put in at Hartley’s Bay on the French River, Paddled downstream, made our way to the bay, via a short portage (wanted to avoid the rapids), paddled into Georgian bay and spent 2 days wandering the area before our return. It’s a beautiful area and a paddlers paradise!. At the time, we could camp anywhere, not sure if that has changed

I hate Hartley Bay “Marina”. They treat kayakers like we’re something nasty they just stepped in. Every time I’ve been there I’ve been rushed to load and unload. On top of this, you are required to surrender the key to your vehicle once you’ve loaded your boat. The “valet”, who at least once in my experience must have been a chain smoker, then takes your vehicle and parks it in a fenced enclosure. If, for some reason, you arrive back from your trip outside of their regular hours you must go and wake up the proprietor, pay an outlandish fee, then be “granted” access to your vehicle.

No thanks. There are other ways to get to the bottom of the French River that don’t involve Hartley Bay Marina.

There are designated camp sites that must be camped at. If caught camping anywhere other than a designated site, you’ll get a stiff fine. They are on a first-come, first-served basis. Although the Bustard Islands are also under Provincial Park jurisdiction, there are no designated sites I’m aware of. Also be aware of private property. A good map is essential, and a permit is required to camp anywhere inside the park boundaries.

@Varney said:
…it would be nice to at least paddle something that would be an aesthetic day or two or three on the water, but not have to be too concerned about the waters becoming suddenly big and a lot to handle as one of us does not have a lot of boat time. Also where can I track down maps for sections people are recommending.

I’ll argue that any time you put a boat in Georgian Bay deeper than you can touch the bottom, there better be some planning and research done ahead of time. Sure, people just head out there… and people also end up on the news. Some end up dead. I’m not trying to be alarmist, just trying to get the point across that a beautiful afternoon paddle can turn into a deadly misadventure if you aren’t prepared for what the lake has to offer.

@DrowningDave mentioned the incredible number of islands, and he hit the nail on the head. It is a paddler’s paradise, but it’s also a navigational nightmare. Many islands look the same, even after multiple trips to an area. You often can’t tell whether something is a channel or a dead end bay. Many small channels are navigable at high water levels but impassable at lower water levels. Go the wrong direction a few times and it can add hours to your planned traveling time.

I’ll second the recommendation for White Squall. Once you figure out an area of interest, they can help you out with topo maps and/or charts for the area. I use the strip charts along the eastern shore. They’re nice because of the detail level but some of the outer islands aren’t covered - which shouldn’t be a problem for you.

If you’re going along the top, you can try Killarney Outfitters. I wouldn’t trust the advice from there as much as White Squall though.

@Sparky961 said:
I hate Hartley Bay “Marina”. They treat kayakers like we’re something nasty they just stepped in. Every time I’ve been there I’ve been rushed to load and unload. On top of this, you are required to surrender the key to your vehicle once you’ve loaded your boat. The “valet”, who at least once in my experience must have been a chain smoker, then takes your vehicle and parks it in a fenced enclosure. If, for some reason, you arrive back from your trip outside of their regular hours you must go and wake up the proprietor, pay an outlandish fee, then be “granted” access to your vehicle.

No thanks. There are other ways to get to the bottom of the French River that don’t involve Hartley Bay Marina.

My experience at Hartley Bay was different, then again it was some time ago and things may have changed. Next time I come up, I’ll do it differently.

My experience was different too but its been six years. What do you recommend Sparky961?

@kayamedic said:
My experience was different too but its been six years. What do you recommend Sparky961?

To get to the Bustards and the lower French River area, I’d suggest going out the Key River. There are two marinas right at Hwy 400, Key River Marina and Camp Dore. I received top notch customer service from the owner of the latter when I was there a couple years back.

Wind can be an issue because you’re paddling west downstream and the wind funnels through the river “gorge”. It can be a really big treat on the way home though! Try to plan a trip to coincide with favourable wind direction and strength.

I have done some kayak camping there. Here is a link to some pictures. I also have a map picture to see where I was at bottom http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm/georgian_bay_2016 plus this trip http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm/georgian_bay_2015 and this one http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm/georgian_bay_2 and this one all great time http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm/georgian_bay

Appreciate all of the input and info. For now I am zeroing in on the Parry Sound area with stop at White Squall for further Beta. Possibly staying at the Killbear Province Park and looking at paddling out of there or launching from the greater Parry Sound area and paddling the southern shoreline of Parry Island as it looks to be quite protected. If time allows then move over to Whitefish Falls or possibly Spanish to day paddle one of those areas. Then cross back over to the States at Sault Ste. Marie to explore a little of Lake Superior. Also open to suggestions for there.

Sounds like a great plan. If you launch from the east side of the peninsula that Killbear is on you’ll have protection from the prevailing west wind off the lake. I’d suggest venturing north up into some of the fingers you see near Killbear. There’s even a very short portage up that way if you want to make a loop of it.

Be aware that Parry Island is native reserve, so no camping without explicit written permission. Stopping for lunch in a clearly shared/public area is probably ok. If it’s anything like another reserve island I’m familiar with, expect roaming dogs that are semi-wild.

Whatever you do, get a decent marine forecast that’s no more than a few hours old before you go. Conditions can change quickly, so be prepared.