Keep your PLB out of water?

I have an unregistered ACR ResQLink™+ PLB which I’m considering exchanging for an Ocean Signal Rescue Me PLB1 because the latter is smaller, weighs less, and easily fits into my PFD pocket. The ACR fits, but not at all easily.

ACR purchased Ocean Signal, so it’s the same company behind both PLBs.

The owner’s manual for each PLB instructs to keep them out of water if you need a rescue. Easy enough to do if you’re lost in the middle of the desert, but if you’re bobbing around in waves while trying to hang on to your boat and/or paddle, does that mean you have to do a Statue of Liberty pose with the activated PLB in your outstretched hand?

Or am I overthinking this? Thanks.

I think the main thing is that the signal doesn’t transmit through water, but does through air. So the antanee needs to stay out long enough to transmit.

Hopefully you are still with your boat when you trigger it, and by holding on to the boat and keeping the unit above the water, you should be fine. If you are swimming, may be more challenging.

Though most of my electronics education is “digital” electronics, I’m versed in enough of the “telecom” stuff to know that you do absolutely need to keep the antenna out of the water (and ideally, the antenna dry) for it to transmit. Some better educated in the subject may elaborate (or correct me entirely), but I believe the water changes the capacitance around the antenna and effectively shorts it out (temporarily, while wet).

I don’t expect you’d need to hold it at arm’s length above the surface, but at least on your chest/PFD or perhaps one hand holding it on the top of your head might work. If you’re still with your boat but can’t get back in for some reason, putting it up on your deck would be beneficial, but I would still have it tethered to myself rather than the boat.

I had a thread asking about PLBs a while back that I was going to go and update. For me it was a difficult choice between the ResQLink and the Ocean Signal PLB1, but I finally decided on the PLB1, and should receive it in a week or two. I couldn’t get past the way the antenna was wrapped around the body of the ACR - just didn’t like the design.

Thanks, Peter and Sparky.

The more I study the two manuals (which have to be downloaded), the more inclined I am to make the switch. Not only because of size and weight, but the Ocean Signal is simpler to operate. Need two hands for the ACR; one for the PLB1.

The ResQLink+ floats, the PLB1 doesn’t. Since they have to be held out of the water once activated, the float factor is irrelevant so long as it’s tethered.

At least I did one thing right: purchased the ACR at the local West Marine, so the exchange will be easy.

Rookie,

I have both the ACR and the PLB1. When my ACR ResQFix needed a new battery, I switched to the PLB1 to have a smaller unit that takes up less room in my PFD pocket.

Neither is really one hand operation. For both you have to hold the PLB1 in one hand while deploying the antenna. For compactness, the antenna of the PLB1 is stored coiled inside the unit and requires you to pull it out of the body (and wind a spring to store it), I’m a bit disappointed that since it can’t air dry, my antenna already has some specks of surface rust, unlike the ACR (where the antenna is exposed and can air dry), I doubt this will lead to any issues, but it seems to indicate that you have to uncoil the antenna and rinse frequently. In contrast the ACR requires no maintenance at all – it just gets rinsed when I rinse my PFD pocket. Both are good units. If you need the ultimate in small size, get the PLB1. If you want something that you rinse and forget, get the ACR.

@gstamer said:

Neither is really one hand operation. For both you have to hold the PLB1 in one hand while deploying the antenna. For compactness, the antenna of the PLB1 is stored coiled inside the unit and requires you to pull it out of the body (and wind a spring to store it), I’m a bit disappointed that since it can’t air dry, my antenna already has some specks of surface rust, unlike the ACR (where the antenna is exposed and can air dry), I doubt this will lead to any issues, but it seems to indicate that you have to uncoil the antenna and rinse frequently. In contrast the ACR requires no maintenance at all – it just gets rinsed when I rinse my PFD pocket. Both are good units. If you need the ultimate in small size, get the PLB1. If you want something that you rinse and forget, get the ACR.

Greg, Thanks so much for your input. I currently have the ACR ResQLink (non-floating model). I didn’t see the point of the floating version since I always tether the unit to my pfd; the non-floating is smaller; and one still has to point the PLB ‘face’ at the sky. My unit was coming up for battery replacement (~$112) and I was considering the PLB1. I’ll just replace my battery.

@gstamer, @tvcrider

Thanks, Greg, for that caveat about the PLB1 antenna. Will have to weigh the cons of another item to rinse and air dry against the plus of the size.

Thank you, too, tvcrider, for mentioning the smaller size of the nonfloating ACR. I’ll bring my PFD to West Marine to check that one for pocket fit.

I too have the ACR non-floating & am happy with it. Fits in my PFD fine & is simple enough to use. Greg’s comment (antenna rust and winding a spring to retract) on the PLB1 means (to me) 2 more things to go wrong. So, I’m happy with my choice. To each their own.

FYI, I contacted PLB1 about the antenna rusting and this is their response:

“Washing out thePLB1 after use and immersion in salt water is good practice and should be carried on with.
Because the antenna, which is a spring grade of stainless steel, is wound up tightly, there is a chance that retained saltwater can cause surface rusting/discolouration. It would be best to extract the antenna when washing and dry thoroughly afterwards, but a protective coating of wax or similar will help. Please ensure that whatever you use is safe with plastics”.

I put some Boeshield on my antenna, and will see how that works to stop rust. I kayak multiple times per week, so really don’t want to have to remove the PLB from my vest, deploy, wash and dry the antenna after each use – I generally just dunk my PFD in fresh-water (this worked fine for the ACR). I’m tentatively considering putting the PLB1 in a small drybag or aquapac but that is a bit dodgy since it would be more difficult to deploy.

Thank you for that advice, Greg. Even if the antenna is pulled out and either hand or air dried, I wonder if there’s still residual moisture inside the antenna housing. Will do a side by side comparison of the PLB1 and smaller ACR when I go back to West Marine on Saturday.

Our fresh water just makes metal rust at a slower rate than salt water. Hope the Boeshield keeps the rust at bay.

Interesting discussion, since my PLB1 should be arriving relatively soon. I’m interested to see how the fresh water affects the antenna, but I’m thinking that with even moderate care it should outlast the battery. I figure there will be better technology by that time anyway and I’ll want to upgrade.

I’ll likely try carnauba wax, since I have a tin of it I use in my workshop for various things.

Sparky, one of the advantages of the PLB1 is its longer battery life. Battery life is advertised to last seven years, as compared to five years for the ACR ResQFix.

West Marine didn’t have the smaller nonfloating ACR in stock or on display, so I went with the PLB1.

I do like its size and light weight (116 grams). There’s room to spare with it in my drysuit sleeve pocket as well as in a pocket of my Astral YTV. A plus is the the cradle mounting that’s included in the box. I tested it on my PFD and it fit nicely. It’s good to have another carry option.

I can extract the antenna using my teeth, so I guess one handed operation is doable although my dentist might not approve.

Leaning on Greg’s knowledge, bought a container of Boeshield and applied it to the antenna. Only fresh water here in the Great Lakes, so all I rinse are my paddle ferrule, kayak, and shoes. I’ll extract the antenna and let it air dry on the way home.

A piece of kit that I hope to never, ever need to use.