Keeping electronic key fob safe on the water

All right, you are safe for now. But y’all got me spending money like crazy around here! OTOH, a heated steering wheel cover… Ahhhhhhh

I had a deluxe Volvo at one time ('95 850 turbo wagon) that had heated seats. Really lovely in the winter but not so much a few times in the summer when stuff I had jammed in the console between the front seats tripped the seat on during a cross-state trip and I began to fear I was spiking a fever.

Why not this instead of a heated steering wheel? Looked it up as a joke but admit I am tempted by the entire set, which is allegedly Australian sheepskin (probably polyester) and for sale on Amazon for $15. Would look great in my big yellow truck.

1 Like

That’s fabulous! I’m tempted.

Get the matching fuzzy dice and go for it!

Much as I loathe contibuting to Bezos’ bloated purse (never mind that the bastard is trying to wedge a 3 million square foot distribution warehouse a half mile up the hill from me on what had been a wooded site in our quiet residential zone), here is the ad. Probably find more like it on Ebay. I’m thinking maybe leopard or tiger fur…

Might have trouble getting it away from the cats if I opened the package in the house. I had a cat years ago that “claimed” anything in the house made of real or fake fur. I had a faux coyote coat at the time and had to grab it and put it on outdoors on the porch or he could leap onto it and cling like a leach, growling and hissing.

https://www.amazon.com/Yontree-Winter-Handbrake-Cover-Steering/dp/B019K2SZ1O/ref=asc_df_B019K2SZ1O/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061982315&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=824306249326099146&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005933&hvtargid=pla-567939721416&psc=1

Ack! They even have it in yellow to match the truck. The mind boggles…

(I can use the trannie knob cover from the set in the Mazda since the camper is an automatic. Give the parking brake cover to the cats to fight over.)

I’m with you on not shopping on Amazon. I gave up that habit a couple of years ago. F Bezos and his abuse of his workforce. I miss the days when the vanity projects of billionaires were things like libraries, instead of pretending to be astronauts. But I digress.

I found the pink one on another site. Debating purchasing, and only hesitating because I’m currently in the process of getting rid of useless crap I don’t use around here, in the hope of moving if the real estate market ever calms down so I can buy a house for a fair price. OTOH, I’d use the heck out of that, so, dilemma.

You definitely need the yellow!

1 Like

I don’t mind Bezos joy riding into space all that much he will need a lot of solar powered delivery trucks to erase his carbon foot print from 10 minutes in space. I worry more when he gives $100M to Van Jones as a no strings attached gift to continue his “good” work. Just keep an open mind as to who is clearing the path for these billionaires to keep doing what they are doing. Dig deep and you may be surprised. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

That’s on my paddles.

How’s everyone’s fobs today? Don’t let them paddle alone or without a life jacket, eh?

Uber. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I was searching for an answer to this question and decided to run an experiment. I have a relatively new Honda. The fob is the electronic key for doors and ignition. Although there’s a skeleton valet key it only opens the driver’s door and glove box. The suggestion to hide the fob somewhere in or on the car won’t work. No matter where I stash the fob I have issues with locking the doors (and keeping them locked because the car thinks the fob is inside) and, more importantly, the car can be started by just pushing the ignition button.

As such, if a scoundrel (tip of the hat to Norm!) somehow managed to enter the car and push the ignition switch just as a test, the car will start. I don’t think something like the HitchSafe will defeat this since that’s one of the places I tried stashing the fob (inside my hitch). The best solution I can think of is to take the fob with me on the water in either a small Pelican or a waterproof case like the one Marshall linked to in another thread.

If you wrap the “smart” portion of the key in aluminum foil, or any other makeshift Faraday Cage, you can block the near-field signals and be good to go.

True but I don’t always have a Faraday Cage with me. Tesla Coil is another matter, I always have that!

a small water tight box, for keys, binoculars, light sticks and items I commonly take on any water activity. I put key fob in zip-lock back as a 2nd measure. as long as there is not to much weight in a flip box floats. using a paracord leash keeps it by boat.

Pelican. Put it in a bucket of water with a brick on it if you work about leakage. Turn it and check it. I managed to get every model from fro 1010 through 1060, which holds my wallet, key fob and phone. The 1060 holds the large Samsung. Never a leak in 15 years of paddling. Clip to the seat strap or stash in hatch. I still use the old cases for the wallet and key fob and the large case for the phone if I plan to take pictures with the phone. That way I don’t have to fumble with other items in the phone box. Secure and dry.

If the price is a show stopper, consider the cost of a new key fob, or being stranded.

1 Like

I use this for my action camera remote, which turns the camera on and off in my surf sessions (to preserve the cam battery). But it is intended for a car key fob:

sing

Many (many) years ago I was delivering liquor in midtown Manhattan; neighbor owned the store and needed holiday help. In the middle of a run in the neighbor’s Caddy, we (a store employee and me) got locked out of the Caddy. I was standing by the car looking preppie (college kid, etc) and not three minutes into the ordeal, a guy pulls up in a van asking if he could help. Yep, he could, and he did. 15 seconds of work with a crowbar and a hanger and the door was open. Not a mark on the car. $20 damage to my wallet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After washing two fobs at 250+ each in the washing machine I keep the new one in that.
My two trucks fobs are 5-8 bucks each. AquaPac

1 Like