Keewenau Vs The Apostle Islands

I’ve got a couple of sea kayaking trips in mind for this summer.

One is to do the Keewenau peninsula whether in part on the water trail or partly by asking permission to camp on private property, but to try and do as much of the peninsula as possible. But I would like to have islands, caves, cliffs and lots of wilderness to see and not a whole lot of private property if possible.

I also had the apostle islands in mind. I would like to do a fair amount of the apostles in about mid june, but I’ve heard that it can be quite crowded, and to add insult to injury I think there are designated camp sites, if this is true it is a minus but not a deal breaker.

I’d like to go for about a week to ten days.

Any thoughts?..

Apostles - Camping
When I go to the Apostle Islands I usually get a back country permit - minimum impact (I use a Hennessy hammock). There are a lot of areas on the islands where you can wilderness camp outside of established campsites. The islands that are farther away from the mainland have few visitors while Islands like Sand, York and Basswood can get crowded.

Most of them…

– Last Updated: Dec-09-05 2:02 PM EST –

Most of the islands away from the mainland have less traffic, but the cove between South Manitou and Rocky Island will have a lot of sailboats in it. It's sheltered from the open lake in most directions so they anchor from there (generators and all...). Stockton Island is also about 16 miles from Bayfield and is probably the busiest island in the park.

It's still definately worth going, these are pretty minor points. You will need campsite reservations which can be made a month before your first night of camping, and be sure to call on the first day that you can. July and August are the busiest times from what I've heard, and the only months that I've been there.

Can't help you on the Keweenaw - looking for info myself. See the thread below.

Trick Question
Unless you have a brain tumor and the doctors give you six months to live, paddle both the Apostle Islands and the Keweenaw Peninsula. In fact, if you are dying of a brain tumor it’s all the more reason to paddle them both. If you are able, paddle one during the coming year and paddle the other the following year. Once you resolve to do that, then determining which to do first ought to occupy as much time and analysis as it takes to flip a coin. Both are great paddles, so you can’t go wrong either way unless certain death lies at the end of one of them; in which case, it is advisable to make that trip the second one.

keith
We did the Apostles last July after Grand Marais and it really wasn’t crowded at all. We’re planning on heading back this season again, not sure what month, but it was a great trip.

Actually the designated campsites were really nice, depending on what island you stay on. Plus, it was kind of nice being able to paddle the whole day and know that you’ll float up to an island and have the comfort in knowing you had a reserved camp for that evening. Most of campsites we were on, except Sand, where beautiful, well kept, had bear lockers (a plus) and secluded from others around you.

Damon