Kevlar/Carbon decks

Sounds fantastic!

1 Like

I’m so glad you posted your Prana again. We’ll be matchy matchy!

1 Like

Sounds like a nice boat. I always like the design and would have one if there was space for a second boat.

1 Like

What a great choice! We love our P&H Cetus! What a great combination of stability, predictability, and maneuverability. Not to mention how easily they slip through the water!

I ordered mine without foot pegs as well, and have been completely happy with that! I find it so much better than foot pegs.

One small outfitting detail I tweaked after having them for a while: They use, if I recall, two or three half hitches to keep the hatches attached to the boat. In my experience, half hitches will come loose in that type of application, and ours were occasionally. I changed them to bowlines.

2 Likes

Oh thanks for the tip on the hatches! I thought I would be sad not to have a Rockpool Isel after loving my too-big Alaw Bach so well, but I enjoy the playfulness of the Scorpio that was not there in the Alaw Bach. That might just have been because it was simply too high volume and too big to fit me. And as I do enjoy going fast when I’m not gawking at wildlife, I’m quite certain I’ll love the speed of the Cetus. A bonus is that I don’t have to have it shipped, which probably would have made my hair go to completely grey.

After not paddling for so many years due to illness, my skills are lacking. The Swede form seems nice for building them back up. I’m shocked I have no buyer’s remorse after such a big indulgence.

2 Likes

Life’s short even if you live long. Don’t worry.

3 Likes

I “just” had to make this decision for myself with my Aries. I use quotes because I ordered it 14 months ago and it just arrived last weekend. Anyway, I decided to go with glass for the deck, and the reason was because, during a recent week of training down off the coast of Georgia, I noticed we spent a lot of time sitting on our boat decks when we took breaks/grabbed meals, etc. I sat on a guy’s carbon/kev boat (we had all gathered around the middle of the beach to eat and my boat happened to be on the end of the group) and his deck oil-canned instantly. I’m not especially heavy.

I immediately got up, obviously, and it popped back into place, but that really made an impression (see what I did there?) I decided I’d go with glass for my own boat’s deck. While the weight savings would be nice, I really don’t want a boat I have to baby constantly.

FOURTEEN MONTHS?!? :flushed:

Yup. I’ve related this before, but before I lucked upon my used Prana, the one (very helpful) local CD dealer said, if I couldn’t find one, to “call me back August '22, and I might be able to order you a new one for delivery in 2023”. I’m not a young guy anymore…

2 Likes

Even so. Welcome to 2021.

1 Like

Depends on layup schedule they used. They can go for total weight savings or lighter and stronger. Carbon Kevlar can be lighter and stiffer. Depends how extreme you want to go on weight.

1 Like

Your dealer may of had build slots reserved. Marshall was saying May delivery if ordered few weeks ago.

Maybe carry a folding chair or sit pad next time! :thinking:

He did/does, and mine got in at the front of the line. I’m not usually this fortunate! But I have no idea when it’ll be completed or shipped to the US. Fortunately I have the Scorpio to use while I wait. I also have a faster SUP on order but it’s been on order for 6 months now and I have no idea when I’ll have that, either. I’m debating putting that toy off another year.

1 Like

FWIW, the early Mad Rivers used FG for decks. Kevlar and carbon were still in the future. At lest on my Malecite they worked fine.
Steve

I usually carry the boat on top of my car and load and unload solo. At the end of a long day the lower weight is priceless. I have not noticed any draw backs. I am not worried about having the boat personalized by dings and scratches.

You really can’t make a blanket statement about the strengths of a deck based on composition alone. It also depends on thickness and design. My 18’ Kevlar 1999 Necky Arluk 1.9 weighs only 45lbs, but as was common for Canadian built boats at the time the keel and deck are quite strong. Although I don’t recommend sitting on the deck of a kayak as a regular practice, I’ve never noticed any flexing or problems.

I bought a Kevlar boat because I started out doing a lot of solo paddling and weight was important.

1 Like

Got my QCC 700XL in carbon/kevlar, and never regretted that decision!

1 Like

I’d never sit on someone else’s deck. I wouldn’t want to pay for the possible repairs :scream:

1 Like

Yeah, I wouldn’t even sit on someone else’s rotomolded deck. Actually I don’t even touch anyone else’s stuff unless they want help carrying it.

3 Likes