Kevlar paddle

anyone know where I could get a Kevlar bent canoe paddle?

Kevlar?
I’m no expert, but wouldn’t a kevlar paddle be really flexible? Do you mean a carbon paddle?

never seen one
I don’t think they exist. Possibly because carbon is better and not much more expensive when you’re looking at the amount of material used in a paddle. Were you looking for kevlar for some particular reason?

My two old Wenonahs may be kevlar.
Or they may be fiberglass.

I’ve seen a few used bent shaft canoe paddles advertised as being kevlar, but I don’t know it the seller knew what they were talking about. I once bought a plastic tandem kayak that was advertised as a fiberglass canoe.

No, I don’t know where you can get one, unless you want to buy one of mine, but I much prefer the Zaverals to the Wenonahs that I have.

carbon fiber
http://oakorchardcanoe.com/canoepaddles.php

Never seen an all Kevlar paddle. It would not have much abrasion resistance. I would not buy one.

Hard to Do

– Last Updated: Jul-05-09 3:36 PM EST –

Carbon and fiberglass are commonly used in composite paddles because both face laminates can easily be laid over the core and the mold tightened to produce a resin starved edge that is easily trimmed and sanded before going out the door.

Kevlar could be trimmed but the edge cannot rationally be sanded, it fuzzes, so few Kev paddles are currently made.

Iliad and kruger made a few Kev blades in the late 70-s early 80's. I think the blades were resinated oversize and cut with a fine toothed band saw.

Wenonah
use to sell a maxiglide(sp) kevlar paddle. I have one in my garage now. I do not who was the actual manufacturer though. I like the kevlar as a loaner since it is tough and light. The only problem is the grip. It seems to be a plastic or composite and has starter to pit .

Seda of long ago too …
If you’ve got that one glass ply over the kevlar you have a ‘chance’ to get the edge smooth …But don’t go too far … : )

Kevlar does not make a good complete blade and even worse shaft.

BB used to make one with a big
"KEVLAR" logo stamped on it. In reality only the little tip protector was Kevlar. Wasn’t a bad paddle though.

Reason for wanting one
The carbon Zav paddles chip kinda easily. I am not really one to baby my gear, if I need it for pushing off rocks, etc, I do it. I was thinking Kevlar might be less prone to chipping or cracking, while remaining lightweight

sounds like you would turn it into
a feather duster in no time. Ever seen abraded Kevlar? It looks like a cat that went through a dryer.

You might change some habits… Wood is probably the best if you have to push off rocks…at least its easily fixable.

There are a few good durable wooden blades out there and there are piles of heavy junk.

Tip protector
Go to the auto parts store and ask for the door edge trim protector. Buy a roll for $6 and cut pieces to fit the tip of you paddle and go up about an inch on each side. It comes in black and sometimes clear. The glue on it does not hold well so you’ll want to try 3m 5200. epoxy, or gorilla glue.

The trim adds so little weight you won’t notice. If you want to test it just add it to one side of the paddle and do 5 or 10 miles. You’ll see.

the plastic trim protector really does prevent chipping, it doen’t look cool but your paddles will last much much longer.

Verlan Kruger made some
back in the 80’s. I happen to have one (not for sale), and it is a decent paddle.

Maxcraft used to make some with a kevlar blade and glass shaft (I have ine of those too).

They are both sort of like relics though.

Have you seen the Zaveral whitewater paddle ? Might be the layup for you. You might also want to carry a stick of some kind for shoving off too instead of abusing the paddle. Thats what we do in the Wisconsin river where you bottom out on sand from time to time.

Kevlar is just the wrong material for
making paddles. It is not even equal to glass. Its mediocre compression strength does not match the stresses imposed on a paddle.

I do have a Clinch River slalom paddle with a shaft made of non-woven unidirectional strands of carbon and Kevlar. However, it seems no better than the shaft of my Mitchell slalom paddle, and the carbon/Kevlar shaft is heavier.

Mitchell has a solution to chipping paddle tips and edges. They put an aluminum insert in the tip, and woven glass edging. This solution does not work on slim blades like Werner, but that’s their problem.

I have mixed glass and Kevlar strands to tip wooden paddles I have made. The Kevlar makes the unidirectional fiber mix less likely to crack through.

Get a Gillespie with a phenolic tip
I’ve paddled one hard for 3 years and never damaged the tip at all. It’s an Oak Orchard Special. I recently bought a medium Zav and paddled it for all of about 5 minutes and damaged the tip paddling hard upstream and struck an underwater rock.

I’d get another Gillespie in a heartbeat. The biggest problem it seems is choosing a model. Brad makes so many, it’s hard to pick.