Kids Kayak

I have a 6 year old son. He thinks the coolest thing in the world is to paddle his dad’s Kayak. Well, lately he has been asking for his own. I told him, if he raises the money, he can get one. Well, we had a garage sale this weekend, and he sold about $50 worth of his toys and old clothes. He has been doing choirs above and beyond his normal responsibilities and has earned about another $20. So, he is up to about $70. I know that is still going to be short, but I figure if he gets up to $100, I will pick up the difference, as he has been really working at it. Any way, what is a good boat for a kid. Something not very expensive as he will outgrow it fairly quick, but something he can use on the lakes and paddle by himself when we are with him. Something he can learn on, and enjoy the out of doors with. The desire is there, I want to keep it there by giving him something fun. Thanks

Ocean Kayak Kea
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/single_kayaks/kea.html

Perception Acadia Scout
My husband and I just got back from a trip to the local lake with our 6 year old daughter (soon to be 7) and 8 year old son. We got them each a Scout this spring, which are great boats for the kids. The Scouts only weigh 25 pounds, so the kids can easily maneuver their boats, and my son can really fly! I rigged a simple 15-ft tow rope with poly rope, foot long bungee, and two caribiners, and end up towing my daughter (easily) when she gets tired.

I’d highly recommend the Scouts, but remember that at 6 years old, your child probably won’t have too much endurance. Plan to take lots of short trips to practice their paddling skills.

Wilderness Systems Tsunami 120SP
A true kayak for kids…

12’ x 21" beam with a low foredeck so they can learn proper paddling technique IMHO. My 7yr old son and 11 yr old daughter LOVE that boat. They picked it out from the kids lineup at a local demo day that included the Kea, Acadia Scout, and Carolina 12 as the others (except for the Carolina)“felt like bathtubs” according to them.

I like the Tsunami over the Carolina12 as the WS boat has full bulkheads fore and aft, adjustable thigh braces and full deck rigging with two watertight hatches. A fine boat, and watching my kids (with just an hour of instruction) paddle it is inspiring to say the least. In fact, I better go work on my stroke so I can keep up with them!

I know of more expensive kids boats too that include the Current Designs one (forgot the model name) that is fiberglass but also $1200. We got the Tsunami on sale for $600.

Whatever you get, make sure the kids paddle it and feel comfortable in it, get them lessons and keep them close to shore. The first thing I taught mine was a wet exit for safety reasons and then how to do a self recovery. (they didn’t even need the paddle float!) Of course, then they also proceeded to STAND UP IN THE BOAT without any paddle support! SHEESH!

Scott

second the Scout
great touring kayak for kids.

we got one a few month ago and both our sons love it.

Although it belongs to the younger one (9), he doesn’t have the stamina yet to paddle all day.

But between the two of them we can do 20 mls a day on trips and got some free space (for more food…) in our tripping canoe.

second the Scout
great touring kayak for kids.

we got one a few month ago and both our sons love it.

Although it belongs to the younger one (9), he doesn’t have the stamina yet to paddle all day.

But between the two of them we can do 20 mls a day on trips and got some free space (for more food…) in our tripping canoe.

second the tsunami SP
Its a pricey kids kayak, but since your sons so Avid I think he will like this kayak more thana scout. This is a fully-outfitted touring boat that he can grow into and learn technique. And I think he will be able to keep up in it. its alittle bigger than the scout, but still manageble for him. and He can keep it for many years to grow into.

good luck :slight_smile:

Tsunami Sp
While the Tsunami SP is more expensive than some of the other kids kayaks, I think it might be worth it. I’ve tried the Tsunami along with the Acadia Scout and there was no comaprison. The Scout felt cheap while the Tsunami was really nice and had all the features of a full sized kayak. I think there is also more growing room in the Tsunami. I’m about 5’ and 110 lbs and while I fit in the Scout I was definitely too heavy for it in my opinion. The Tsunami fit great and there was still a little extra room.

Don’t forget, …
…that he’s on the uphill side and you’re on the downhill side. If he maintains his interest, in a few years Junior will be waiting for old Dad. Keep yourself in shape during these very exciting years — I’ve got two grown boys and relish every moment I did something like this with them! Happy Father’s Day.

Perception Dancer XS
Bought one for my daughter when she was about 5. They’re out there pretty cheap. I’ll sell you mine for $100 since she’s outgrown it.

zydaco or elament

– Last Updated: Jun-17-07 6:31 PM EST –

Both by Dagger and decent kayaks. the price is decent for either. and it should be many years before de outgrows either one. i should add that i meen the elament 10.

Tsunami SP
We bought my 9-year-old Tsunami SP this year, after a kayaking demo at a local store.

He is very happy with it, and is learning to handle it. I took him on several trips, both lakes and rivers, and he can easily make a 6-7 mile run in it.

He says that the boat is comfortable (I do not fit in it, so I cannot tell). Narrow width allows for development of good paddling strokes – something that he struggled with in his previous kayak. Tsunami is well trimmed, so he was able to handle it in moderate wind and chop that we ran into on one of the lakes.

All in all, he’s very happy with it. The next step is the Greenland paddle.