Kinked Skeg Wire / P&H

-- Last Updated: Jun-21-16 9:03 PM EST --

I have a older P&H Sirius and I need to replace the skeg wire. The wire is embedded into the plastic skeg.
Has anyone replace a wire with this set up, how did you release the damaged wire from the skeg in order to install a new wire?

Did you try…
…this?

http://www.phseakayaks.com/skegSystem.php

Link
Thanks for your time but this isn’t relevant to my problem. I need to get the embedded wire out from the plastic skeg, without damage to the skeg and then install a new wire.

At the bottom…
…of that link was a form you can fill in and send to P&H and they’ll get back to you. I would have thought that they know more about their skeg systems than most people on this forum.

Kajaksport
It’s likely a Kajaksport skeg which has a fused connection to the cable so cable and blade are one unit. If you wish to go with just the cable, cut the kinked cable with a Dremel and fiber reinforced cut off wheel, file smooth. With said Dremel cut a new slot the size of the new cable adjacent to the old and cement in with JB Weld Epoxy (I’m sure there’s others too) after cured, rethread the cable and secure it in the slider assembly.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Fused Connection
That was what I was thinking . The only other issue , where the wire is fused the skeg has a thicker profile, if I move location, I would need to go to a small diameter wire. Plan B is to purchase a complete skeg/wire assembly.

Epoxy, pile it on
Just goop on the epoxy and file to taste when it’s cured.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection.com

Sorry…
my link wasn’t of much help.

If you do decide to replace the entire skeg, Topkayaker has the P&H skeg with the center wire and the one with the end wire…

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73_138&sort=20a&page=3

Good Stuff
Thanks for the help