Kneeling Pads

I recently went to a Safety Fair at work and saw a product called “SoftKnees Kneeling Pads”. They are designed for work men/women who kneel during the work day. They don’t have straps, and they fit in pockets sewn in work pants. I got a sample of the material and it looks like it would work well for kneeling in my canoe. Anybody use these either on the job or in your boat? I figure I could always sew some pockets in my paddling pants; I sunburn too badly to wear shorts!

I don’t do a lot of kneeling when canoeing because I’ve got really bad knees, but there are times when it is the best thing to do. At those times I just grin and bear it. I’ve used the commercial pads before (maybe 3/4" closed cell foam), and I’ve tried knee pads that I wear. I don’t want to add the pads permanently because I really don’t use them that often, so removable ones look pretty attractive.

Pam

Kneeling Pads

– Last Updated: Nov-05-04 2:34 PM EST –

Cabela's has hd work pants with knee pockets that accept knee pads, been thinking of getting some of these myself.

www.cabelas.com

search for skillers pants

Pam,
Your profile sez yoyu are apparently NOT a WW paddler. My biggest beef with non-attached kneepads in WW is that you slide around tto much, but that should not be a problem for you. Have you considered a Crazy Creek Chair? You could use it for kneeling, and they make one that straps to the seat for sitting, and you can lounge in it during a lunch break.

Jim

not for ww …
I should have said I’m a touring paddler, almost exclusively paddling on lakes and slow moving rivers. I really only need to kneel when the wind gets high and I need the extra stability and control. That’s why I’m interested in knee padding that is easily removed.

As for the Crazy Creek chair, I use a variation of it now on my canoe seat and in camp. I’ve also used just a plain closed-cell foam pad, cut from a camping pad, as knee padding, but it is just too thin for comfort. The pads I saw at the safety fair were much thicker. My old knees are not in the shape they used to be !

BTW: The website is http://www.softknees.com

They’ve also got a kneeling pad that looks interesting too, but I think I’d prefer something attached to me so I don’t have to pack it during portages.

Thanks.

Pam

Softknees
I went to the site, and I have to admit they are interesting. Got me to thinking that it would be easy to add a set of pockets to your pants, and then cut foam to fit. I don’t know what type of “camping pad” you have tried, but REI sells a blue foam (Volara maybe?) pad that I have been using for various padding jobs. It is very light, closed-cell, and fairly dense, and at 3/8" thick would not be too bulky. Could be doubled for more comfort.

Good luck.

Jim

Kneeling pads
My two cents worth would be to simply put a removable kneeling pad in your boat rather than messing around with pads that you wear in your pants. A kneeling pad will offer cushioning not only for your knees, but for your legs and ankles as well. Think simple.

I have to agree
I use very inexpensive gardening knee pads in my boats. I have a few of them in different sizes but most are abut 1 inch think. They weigh nothing and also insulate from cold. Since they have a handle, you can connect them to you boat so they do not get lost and you do not have to carry them seperatly.