Knife advice?

https://www.rei.com/product/230104/nrs-pilot-sar-knife

Wanted one that goes on lash tab.

Donā€™t need to bother rigging it on some other way. I carry a Buck on deck donā€™t want to be trying to open a folding knife in an emergency.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/660-folding-pursuit-large-guthook-knife/?sku=0660ORG-B

Thank you paddledog52. I put that in my shopping cart today. The Labor Day REI sale is on until Sept 2.

1 Like

Finally got the knife today. 420 HC stainless and itā€™s sharp. Sharper than the older NRS TITANIUM coated one. Larger handle and glass breaker is smaller.
If you notice the small screws or bolts moved from the sheath on the old knife to the knife handle so theyā€™ll probably rust again. It arrived with the package being mailed and I had to clean the handle. Anyway Iā€™m happy with it.

Being SS I can sharpen it without ruining the TI coating.

Oddly, I recently bought an NRS Copilot knife, and I can NOT get the sheath clipped onto the lash tab on my NRS Ninja pfd. Seems weird, since theyā€™re both NRS. I can get it on my Astral V8 fine. :woman_shrugging:

Doesnā€™t help that I broke my wrist between the time I ordered it and the time it arrived, but last time I tried it was a no-go. Will have to try again, now that I have a little strength back. But so far the knife has just stayed at home.

PITA to remove. Their is a NRS YouTube video on removal.

I carry the cheapest knife that they sell on amazon that mounts to a PFD tab.

Yeah theyā€™re stainless, and probably will rust, but at under $20 (last time I bought one it was $12) when it does, It can visit Davey Jones for all I care and Iā€™ll order another one.

So far Iā€™m 5 years in and no issues but why pay for a brand name for something thatā€™s getting abused by the elements.

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Diving-Compact-Stainless/dp/B006U9DWVY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1RSEHTLV0MPXI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.S934ygSUbvSkesZsj4gKFfecKWrWcorEQibYQWR8Bq3q4PFk8vSMnF3mVUO5gHIcih6CTGNnDMweUiIaIGrsWLYeT8KGzT4waVbdyxJuD40_d_50nFgMdXyfQAPagUHsvN7Fwxxi3hMlJrwY4k3MlEPxU9aNZbbp5_bmxQA8tVWPW1n35uX7l3TAN8wKBI6MiriFAubJaRUDTTb7uvuQdyhpzqMdxqi8mlGsY_XamrJb6yT2kSV0sC39azFQYqiwAVkPpcmQcH9YY97lgBbq63TYShIzBdtqUJewFVv12bk.qtKKk0YniHjzVgHkarswzJ9nA7UNRCHga_pOYrQAKQQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=dive+knife+blunt+tip&qid=1726250774&sprefix=dive+knife+blunt+tip%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-2

Iā€™ve had that knife for about 15 yearsā€¦my knife brand is McNettā€¦itā€™s virtually the same knife. I probably paid twice that price thoughā€¦

these are just China Knockoffs.

1 Like

Because it will last and probably better suited for kayaking. Handle on my new knife is larger and so is the blade and it fits into my lash tab by my waist. Any rust on 420 SS is fairly easily removed.

I donā€™t need anything bigger and the Fish and game guys do get a little squirrley with a bigger blade. , besides a user here seems to have the same knife at year 15, so for cheap and durable Iā€™m probably ahead of the game.

420 is 420 no matter who makes it. so that really doesnā€™t play into it. Steel is steel so a 1090 is going to be a 1090, a 9260 or a 420 no matter who makes it.

You can pay for the name, if you choose. I do for some things, but for the most part for things that I consider disposable Iā€™ll go the inexpensive route, and if it lasts longer than anticipated great. Otherwise its a wear item and disposable.

Iā€™ve also got a NRS River Shorty for about 22 years. Just never cared for itā€¦didnā€™t seem to be able to get it sharp and it has a point instead of a blunt endā€¦

Mineā€™s sharp, paper cut sharp. Even the blunt pry tip is sharp, now that one I donā€™t understand.

You can sharpen just ABOUT anything unless itā€™s wet :roll_of_toilet_paper: toilet paper. Some metals donā€™t hold an edge long.

New knife is Sharpe since Iā€™ll never use it except for rescue if should say that way for a long time. I carry a folding Buck hunting knife with a point for other tasks.

1 Like

my old river shorty doesnā€™t look like anything I see onlineā€¦ Itā€™s got some jimping on the top edge but the bottom edge is half serrated and then comes to a point and it seems to have some kind of chrome plating. Never used it in saltwater, but the serrated part seems to be a different shade of metalā€¦perfect for cutting summer sausage, cheese, spreading P&J or thin cordageā€¦just didnā€™t really care for itā€¦