Knife advice?

Looking for a fixed blade, non-corroding knife in a sheath that attaches to PFD lash tab. Thanks :+1:

JUNK

Spyderco all seem to be folding and no sheath. Diving knife possibly?

This is what I currently use

Enuff Salt

IMG_0782

3 Likes

Gerber River Shorty. I’ve carried mine for years, salt and fresh water. No rust but no hard use. Cutting fishing lines snarled in trees and rope.
Haven’t tried it for field surgery.

1 Like

Saw that on an older thread that you posted :blush:

Don’t see the sheath that clips on lash tab?

Does it go on the lash tab?

The belt clip is too wide for a standard lash tab. It clips to a strap on the pfd in one of a couple places.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll have to look on my PFD

I have a V8 pfd. Lash point is good.

1 Like

Fits standard lash tab? Just double checking before I order one. Thanks :+1:

I haven never found a fixed blade knife I consider perfect for a kayaker to put on the PFD, so my friend and knife maker Wes Whipple have one in mind.
The overview is simple;
The blade is high grade Stainless and only 3.5 inches long. One idea is a simple blade like what you may find of a hunting knife and my other idea is a blade with a blunted tip on a hook bill style to grab lines and ropes easier then a swept edge or even a straight edge like a sheep-foot style.
The sheath is to be Kydex and has stainless fittings to line the holes for string to make attachments points. The knife’s handles would have the sheath hot mold around the hilt to hold the knife against any pull less then about 15 pounds of force.
The real difference I have in mind is the handle and grip. It’s more like a “push dagger” then any utility knife. Such a short grip/handle carries with far less room taken on the outside of a PFD and yet is very easy to hold onto.

Here is my reason for this overall design. Knives on PFDs are there for fast use in emergence situations mostly for getting caught or tangles in lines or ropes. Knives I use when not in or on the water are easily carried in the compartments of my kayak, and I carry a large Swiss Army Knife in the pocket of my PFD for all kinds of tasks from starting my fires to skinning or gutting fish, to use with screws (both straight and Phillips ) and many other duties. In the rear compartment on my kayaks I have a field knife and a folding saw. But if I need a knife to cut myself or a friend loos RIGHT NOW I want it to be on my PFD, however I don’t like it to be in the way of my movements with my paddle at all.
So far all I have tried have handles that are longer then they need to be for the 1 task I would need a knife for “RIGHT NOW” while kayaking.

So because I can’t buy what I’d want to have I intend to make it, (with Wes’s help and guidance.)

Lastly I have come to hate serrated knife edges. I am good at tool sharpening and I far prefer just a good clean edge, so though I have seen a few advertised for Kayak knifes, all have serrations and I personally detest those.
If I were going to buy one today this is what I’d probably get, but I’d grind off the serrations and simply sharpen it to a keen edge.

https://www.coldsteel.com/super-edge/
Or maybe this:
https://www.coldsteel.com/urban-edge/

I’d get rid of the chains and tie them onto my PFD in a way they could be grabbed in an instant, and yet for the rest of the time simply be unnoticed. They ar stainless and the sheiths will be fine with constant wetness. The grips are very short and the blades are long enough to do the job of cutting any line of 3/4" or less if kept very sharp.

1 Like

Correction: my PFD has a lash tab but I chose to mount the knife on a loop on the shoulder strap.

Where it has firmly remained for a long time.

1 Like

Will that knife stay in the sheath?

Yes. It requires a decent tug to remove it.

2 Likes

Stohlquist Squeeze Lock Knife Amazon.com

1 Like

That looks like a good choice. Knife locks in, sheath can be attached in different ways, Bohler steel is high quality and Wichard is a French company with a long history of marine products. Not expensive yet not likely to be junk.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for all the advice. Decided on NRS SAR 420 SS and it goes on the lash tab on my kokatat hustle. 64 free shipping on REI. Amazon was 79.

https://www.rei.com/product/230104/nrs-pilot-sar-knife?sku=2301040002&store=&CAWELAID=120217890018006720&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=112374925368&CATCI=aud-830183485327:pla-392201254785&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2301040002|92700056586149214|NB|71700000066691916&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwodC2BhAHEiwAE67hJK-YbHn2eonFJ-7Hm69MBzQxuGEgjJsTsAbGeiA7vu7NTr-9vwmoURoCcIUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Mora stainless steel fishing knives. Plastic handle and sheath. Sharp. Half serrated blade. Don’t cost much.

1 Like