Kokatat Poseidon PFD Tow Tether

Has anyone attached the Kokatat Quick Release Belt and Sea Tow Tether to the Poseidon or Neptune PFD? I’m struggling trying to follow the instructions and I can’t find a guide or video online.

I’m planning on attending a towing class and I’d rather not show up without at least a basic understanding so as not to be a danger to myself or anyone else.

At 9:15 in the attached video, the guy shows where the quick release belt is attached to the Poseidon.

1 Like

The whole purpose of a quick release tow belt is to completely release you from any attachment from the boat that you are towing. This may be necessary if the boat you are towing capsizes, sinks, or gets hung up in something among other things. You don’t want a secondary attachment.

1 Like

Thank you! Of course I actually just figured it out a minute ago after spending way too long on it. Should have checked back here first! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry I should have been clearer in the question, the Poseidon isn’t a rescue PFD by default so doesn’t have an o-ring or quick release built in. Kokatat has an accessory you can add that provides that functionality. I was struggling to get that installed so I could add the tow Tether to the quick release.

I appreciate the response as I am still learning and will take any advice I can get!

1 Like

If you’re considering adding the Tactic pack, I have a like-new Red one that I’ve considered selling but haven’t gotten around to messing with it yet.

1 Like

Ha, I should have just checked here first as I just ordered the tactic pack last week. I figured I would load up on the Poseidon accessories now since they are getting hard to find.

I’ll have to scour these forums for good PFD recommendations and offers next time I am buying.

Thank you!

Kokatat Hustler Rescue vest. It’s great.

1 Like

Or get a waist mounted unit that fully detaches without involving vest adaptations. What I and most I know who have been thru training carry. Means we can use an existing PFD. Like this - https://www.rei.com/product/752655/north-water-sea-tec-towline?CAWELAID=120217890000872899&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=103484262169&CATCI=pla-293946777986&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_7526550012|92700053504616648|TOF|71700000062146804&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdeFBhBAEiwAKOIy5xc3AE_MwXVv_AGcmOW1KfBoh1W1Y7XDIYOA01hTxN-xoYSxSqWzcRoCiCoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

That’s a great point. I have very limited experience of tows on the water other than seeing what other paddlers and guides carry. I originally purchased the Poseidon a few years ago because I wanted that “one size fits all” type of gear. These days I lean more towards “one tool, one purpose” so that will definitely be what I look for when I replace this vest.

Thanks for the link and qualified advice!

This one is my choice. It has a short tow tether on one side, or I can use it as a throw bag. I always wear a rescue vest, and this is always in the boat with me. If I’m getting to a situation where I might need it, I can put it on in seconds. I am a (former) swiftwater rescue instructor and worked as a safety boater and federal whitewater rescue coordinator for several years. I have seen and used more than my fair share of rescue equipment!

https://salamanderpaddlegear.com/product/salamander-retriever-and-golden-retriever-throw-bag

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice and link! I’m definitely coming around to the separate tow tether now, plus with that one I wouldn’t need my separate short tether which is nice. After attaching the Kokatat one, plus the tactic pack and extra chest pocket I’m feeling like my PFD is all straps and buckles :frowning: The decision on what goes in the day hatch and what goes on your body is tough, I want everything right there and ready to go but then I can’t lay back or haul myself up into my boat without shifting stuff around. But that’s for another thread :slight_smile:

I’ve had an NRS tow belt with quick release for many years. On ordinary paddles I always carry it within easy reach bungeed on my rear deck, even if paddling solo. If I’m leading a trip with less experienced paddlers or in advanced conditions, I wear it.

1 Like