Kruger-Meyers layup ??

-- Last Updated: Feb-25-10 12:22 PM EST --

I see a Wenonah Advantage for sale here in the classifieds and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this layup? The seller is not sure and I'm wondering how well this layup might last given the boat is 27 years old. It looks to be in good shape, but at 36lbs in fiberglass it must be a light fabric.

Maybe contact Wenonah? Dave Kruger
designed canoes with them, and so they might have the information. I believe he is the Advantage designer.

How has the boat been stored?
If the boat has been stored inside and dry it should be good.I believe the Sun is the only thing that will break the bond. When I say dry- If you keep it dry so water does not freeze in it it should be well protected.Fiberglass is much longer lifed then Kevlar because I becomes one with the Vinylester.

Polyester, or “CAP” is the only cloth
that forms an especially strong bond with vinylester. I have a 1982 kayak built with Kevlar and vinylester, and there is no delamination or degradation. As for glass, as long as it is “fresh” (not years old) when laid up, it will bond well with vinylester because of the coatings on the glass. If uncoated, glass cloth may not bond well with any resin.

Could be a bargain…
I’m not familiar with the “Meyers” layup, but if the weight is accurate, then this would be an ultralight layup like Wenonah currently sells only in Kevlar. It would only be a couple pounds heavier, but a lot less expensive. If there’s no gel coat, it would look translucent, almost like wax paper. If there’s gel coat, it will be some color on the outside, and probably painted a lighter color on the inside. (It might also be a couple pounds heavier.)

I just searched to see the listing. If it’s in good condition, it’s a good price. At a three-to-five pound weight penalty, you’d be saving almost $2,000 over the price of a new kevlar UL canoe.

Al