Krugers

A while back someone asked if anyone knew how many Krugers have been made. There are 226 SeaWinds, 32 Kruger Cruisers (doubles), and 22 Dreamcatchers out there.

Dawn

Thx Dawn

– Last Updated: Feb-16-07 8:08 AM EST –

Interesting, especially since Mark got bent out of shape and acted like this was "confidential information" when I asked the question about 2 months ago on watertribe.

Wow!
Not very many made for such a well known and influential boat. I wonder how many new canoes are sold each year in the USA.

hand made hand laid
A Kruger canoe is all hand made. Mick told me Verlen could make 2 a month but I don’t know how many the current owner turns out.

they would sell more
if they would make a similar model that was lighter for those of us that don’t do “expeditions” but are content with a week long trip or overnights and day trips. Or another decked canoe model lighter and shorter for overnights or weekend trips.

Kruger fills a special niche
Kruger is not about selling more by making changes to a design they believe in and take pride in. There are lots of other companies out there that already make lighter boats and for other purposes. I think they are very aware that they appeal to a very small niche of paddlers, but every once in a while someone like me comes along and surprises them. Before I put my butt in a Kruger, you couldn’t get me interested in anything other than an NDK Romany or Explorer. I still have my Explorer, but I love my Dreamcatcher.

Dawn

www.sandybottomkayaker.blogspot.com

I know
I spoke with the guy (forgot his name) at Kruger and that is what he told me. But…I wish they would at least make a lightweight version. There aren’t any decked canoes out there that I know of as seaworthy and with the same design attributes as the Krugers. I would have bought one already.

another decked boat.
Any one ever tried a vagabond by pokeboat. That looks like it would make a good solo tripper. Its not to heavy eather.

http://www.pokeboat.com/Vagabond.htm

MagicPaddler

Verlen Kruger
The major selling point of a Kruger boat is that they were designed by Verlen Kruger, THE MAN who paddled more miles than any other paddler.

Rock Hard and Stump Jumping tough I think they say.

The current builder is trying to continue that reputation by building the same way Verlen did. Any change in the layup, and it wouldn’t be a Kruger.

I own a Vagabond and paddled a
Kruger Sea Wind recently and they are quite different boats.

The Kruger is a much heavier duty (and heavier) construction than the Vagabond.

The Kruger has an off-the-floor, height adjustable molded canoe seat and the Vagabond has an on-the-floor seat like other kayaks.

The Vagabond does handle nicely unloaded as a solo kayak, but I’ve only messed around with a single blade in it one time last summer don’t remember much about that experience except that on that day, I preferred the kayak paddle over the canoe paddle in that boat. I’ll mess around with the single blade more this summer, after I install a foot brace in it.

I think that the Kruger is about 15 lbs heaveier than the Vagabond.

The Kruger is much more extensively outfitted than the Vagabond.

I’ve never done any tripping, but I suspect that the Vagabond would serve pretty well for that purpose.

yeah but,
There are probably close to a million companies in the world that would probably make more money too if they made other products.

your question is misleading
I dont feel you are saying what your saying…but mean that you wish they built a cheaper…less expendsive boat…correct?

Since weight is really not that big a deal…a 10 pound weight difference is only an a few ounce IN water. I weight 170lbs whichis about 7 1/2 pounds in water…someone 200lbs weighs only a little over eight in water… Again i think you would but it if it was cheeper and not less in weight…but i could be wrong…i usually am.

nm

no that’s not what I mean

– Last Updated: Feb-17-07 10:53 PM EST –

my kayak and solo canoe both weigh about 42 -45 lbs. the Seawind weighs 63 lbs. I was wanting something in that 40 plus/minus weight range for a Kruger Seawind. If the boat has no bulkheads or hatches I don't understand why it can't be made lighter. Also would like the option of not having the sailing accessories built in which I don't care for and add weight. Of course I keep in mind that they are built for "expedition use" which I and several hundreds of others aren't interested in doing. Price is not an issue. I adore kayaks and canoes and a decked canoe would be perfect for the area I paddle and for the simple weeklong and weekend trips I take in benign coastal waters. I would sell both boats to buy a lighter weight Kruger decked canoe. BTW my kayak and canoe are well worth over $4,500 combined. I am more concerned with the 63lbs and having to carry a boat from my storage area and to my car and hoisting on my van. That's my issue with the excess weight that is unnecessary in my opinion.

Have you tried a Bell Rob Roy?
You could probably modify it with a Kruger type canoe seat and rudder and have lighter, smaller and less rugged decked canoe, but with simlar comfort and flexability of use, though probably not nearly as seaworthy in rough conditions as the Sea Wind.

I had a chance to paddle a Kruger Sea Wind on a shallow and twisty river back in December and really like the comfort, feel and handling. I’d love to own one, but for me, the price is a factor. Some day I may be able to afford a new one or find a used one at a tolerable price. It was the most comfortable boat I ever paddled.

Rob Roy
I tried one and was not impressed. The seat cannot be changed according to Bell. I like the ability to sit/kneel for longer distance trips.

Clipper Sea-1
Is about half the price of the Sea Wind, might be worth a look, and read the cross Canada trip report to see how well the boat performed.

http://clippercanoes.com/boat_specs.php?model_id=126

bell won’t
but you can change the seat. also, kneeling is not the strong point of a kruger boat. one reason they’re so seaworthy is also directly related to the rudder. you can’t really kneel in a sea wind and make headway in a strong headwind for long. rob roys certainly aren’t as seaworthy, etc. but you can put a slider bucket seat in one and sit-n-switch or kneel. the hull was designed without a rudder in mind. kruger designed his top boats to use a rudder pretty much 100 percent of the time, thus making kneeling a waste of time and effort.

Who would be that silly?
To canoe across Canada in a solo canoe? Thats just crazy. Guy must have too much time on his hands!

You make good points
I agree, kneeling in headwinds for miles on end is not the best position to be in. I just like the option to rest my back change positions. Prefer sitting with feet braced on foot brace for power in headwinds. But…when the water gets rough in a canoe the kneeling position works best. In a Rob Roy you have more experience in the same bodies of water I paddle in and seem to have made it work for you. I may have to revisit this option with your remedy of the sliding seat.

Sawyer Loon
From what I read the Loon is an earlier version of the Sea wind.

Colorado Canoeing has one here http://www.canoecolorado.com/PNet/

Listed as 55lbs. Doesn’t seem out of line for a 17’ x 28" semidecked canoe.

Thanks Eric.

Tommy