Lack of paddling location reviews

via context I figured out AIS has something to do with invasive species. What does the “A” stand for?

From google:

Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) is a non-native aquatic species that invades ecosystems beyond their natural, historic range. They are spread either intentionally, someone dumping their aquarium contents into a lake, or unintentional by way of ships, fishing, hunting and boating, to name a few.

Richard

1 Like

I understand the frustration you have about the difficulty of getting good information. I would look for information on State Parks websites. Texas has a page that lists a variety of designated paddling trails:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/paddlingtrails/
If you’re a member of a club like ACA, then often that’s a conversation starter with members of other chapters of that club and a great resource for local info.
Lastly, if you find a good local paddle shop, stop by and buy some inexpensive accessory and start a conversation with the staff. I bet you’ll get some good info that way.

Thank you…I’ll try that also.

It is a little like the guy that told me no one goes to that restaurant anymore it is always to crowded.

Up in Lake Erie guys go out fishing and find a hot spot and then get on the radio and tell their buddies about it with the GPS location. If you are just listening in and go to that location you will be 6 miles inland at the mall. They all have a secret code.

I was out on the west coast one time with the family and we stayed in a little motel outside the redwoods. I was having coffee at the motel and struck up a conversation with the lady working there and asked of the couple fliers I had what one would be best to show my son the redwoods. She said well I shouldn’t tell you this but I will and told me directions to a dirt road and make a right and keep driving and don’t worry the road ends but keep going on the path you wont get stuck. We drove several miles and foud the parking area she mentioned with one other car in it and then hiked back on a trail to the most beautiful redwood forest you could ever dream of. She told me one of the Star Wars movies filmed back there.

People like keeping secret places secret.

2 Likes

I’m with Pikabike on this. We have massive influxes of RVs clogging our parking areas in areas that never had much of an issue before. If you come from out of state and don’t pay taxes and don’t support keeping public lands public and in paying taxes to keep the areas clean, safe and protected, then stay the hell home, and fly your political flags in your own damn yard.

2 Likes

Seadart I can’t help it if your state doesn’t know how to tax tourists. Florida does.

I resemble those previous comments. Although I’m pretty sure I’ve paid my share of gas taxes everytime I fill up the rv. … and wv charges an annual personal property tax on the rv. A better question is, “what state is best when it comes to boating and living out of an rv?” (tax breaks, easy residency, clean fast moving rivers} . That’s where I want to clog up the parking lot. I’m a sophisticated dirt bagger.

As a matter of fact, I was contemplating going tomorrow and parking in the grandview sandbar parking lot (New River in WV) with the camper (campground is probably full)…but wait I’m not done yet, then I’ll probably try to poach a shuttle up river…The good news is I got cold pbr in the camper at the takeout and I’ll share. Make that “slightly drunken paddling rvers clogging the parking lots” and you got me dialed in…now I just gotta figure out how to avoid the toll section of Interstate 70 in Kansas. Now that’s how ya tax, making the country’s first interstate into a toll road!

I’m worried Cali residents aren’t paying enough in gas taxes (what is gas up to, 4.00 a gallon) and will have to install tolls to make up the difference like poor kansas.

1 Like

If I’m going somewhere I’m not familiar with, I’ll sometimes ask for info on this board. I don’t usually post reviews myself because (a) I’m lazy and (b) I figure that with so many 1000’s of places to paddle, the odds that someone here will be interested in the particular place I paddled is not high. But if someone said, “hey, I’m thinking of going to Lake Champlain” for instance, I would respond (I was there recently, and on the same trip a couple of places in DelMarVa and Long Island NY and Portland Maine).

I guess it varies, but for the most part, I rarely come across other paddlers on my trips. I’ll often be out and not see another boat of any sort all day (or maybe 1 or 2). Maybe because I’m more often on salt water. I see more crowds on lake and rivers I suppose.

Anyway, if you’re interested in a particular area, you will probably have better luck asking about it to elicit a response rather than hoping that those familiar with the area have posted something.

Dave

1 Like

I’ve had some contributions deleted. I put a bit of work into them and provide FPV video, photos, GPS maps and some hopefully useful info. Not sure if the info was not what they wanted but so for it was just for Shade’s Mill lake… both from the app and from the website using Disques. I’m hoping to get an answer on why. I was told by other paddlers I’ve met at launch points they had the same experience and they just gave up posting. I hope it’s just a technical glitch that needs to be sorted and not some form of steering paddlers away from certain locations. Still waiting to hear back for the admin.

Hoping that wasn’t recently. I recall that the paddling locations section took a major hit when the software change took place. It was really messed up and loads of information, photos, etc. was lost. I had added a few sites but after the change, never went back to replace or fix what I had initially posted.

1 Like

@ve3bwp Can you give us some posting details (time, section, etc) or thread titles so we can look into this?

@Rookie or anybody else heard of this recently happening?

Jeff

There has been a change in the way people visit the outdoors. I have spent my life “discovering” the fun out of the way places. I used to read “Outside” magazine so I knew the places NOT to go. Now people want a guide book and directions to “the best foliage”, “the best wildlife” and the “must see places.” I really hate that expressions must see. Sometimes the best paddling is in places no one knows about.

You can’t see it all in 60 years. Get over the fear of missing something. I have paddled a lot of places with no guidance at all. It can be dangerous and requires diligence. I like to scout from the road as much as possible. Asking local people is often of little help. I have paddled some great local rivers, only to find 4 low head dams that needed to be portaged or one where we ended up in an irrigation ditch because all of the flow from the river was diverted. There is excitement in the unknown.

I got a group together once to paddle the lower Colorado River in February. It was colder than normal. Building a fire was challlenging. We had frost every night. But watching the full moon rise in a canyon with the owls hooting, the coyote choir and the wild donkeys braying was a gas. An otter swam by. A Blue Angel flew over our campfire and rocked his wings. A trip not for everyone, but I will never forget it.

Dare to paddle where others fear to tread.

4 Likes

Nice perspective ppine. I don’t typically take pictures, because you got to be there, but sometimes it’s too good to pass up and you want to remember it. As you pointed out, get over the fear of missing something, or look for the beauty of whatever you find around you. I took that approach on the first kayak trip I went on after I became a member of the forum several months ago. After viewing all the incredible trip pictures, I looked more closely at the surroundings of courses that I paddled many times. I saw things I never noticed before. Great sentiment.

2 Likes

jyak,
You are onto something. Seeing the world at 3 mph lets you see everything.
I cruise around the internet hoping to find one person like you that understands what I am talking about.

2 Likes

This conversation is so odd to me (about too many people getting into outdoor activities.) Most people I know never go outside. Forget outdoor recreation, I mean literally never spend more than 60 seconds outside of a climate controlled building/car with all the windows closed.

I can count on one hand the number of people I know who even own a rain jacket or a pair of winter gloves (if you never go outside, who needs that stuff.)

Maybe it’s a regional thing. I’ve mostly lived in the urban northeast. Years ago I read a short story by Isaac Asimov about a future society where it’s considered a sign of mental illness to want to set foot outside. Sometimes I think we’re almost at that point now (people sure seem to think I’m crazy…)

1 Like

Never thought about it like that, but you’re absolutely right. Maybe that’s why I enjoy it more than biking. As a matter of fact, after the post about eye wear, I looked. Around more intently. The water of the Chesapeake Bay used to be clear when I was a kid. 50 yrs, I looked closer and could actually see the bottom with clumps of seaweed. It was . . . Nice to notice it, and refreshing. Thanks OP for mention about eye wear.

My wife and I have found when leading 10-15 mile trips around the Chesapeake Bay area in the summer time, some people are coming down with heat exhaustion. Even though these are experienced kayakers, many people spend most of their life going from their air conditioned house, to their air conditioned car, to their air conditioned office and back again. The only time they are outside is the brief time between air conditioned spaces. This has changed from the time when I was younger.

1 Like

Like others have said, once the secret is out, the beauty is gone. I don’t go camping anymore because of crowding and disrespectful people. I’m a stamp collector but won’t tell anyone where I get my stamps. I’m a motorbiker but I won’t tell anyone where my favourite roads are. I have left reviews here but it’s usually a warning that the location is private property and that you will probably get a ticket. Luckily where I live there are countless paddling options. Just a short Canadian summer season.

1 Like

I don’t camp around people in the summer, just boondocking, boat trips and a little backpacking. Now I focus on spring and fall camping and winter trips to the desert. In the West, there is plenty of interest in being outdoors. But I have had to change my habits. I never travel on holiday weekends, but mostly recreate Mon-Fri.