Lack of paddling location reviews

Essentially there were two problems I experienced…

1. My virus protection program updated and decided down loads to others was bad. Took a while to diagnose that.

2. Some of the three websites I was posting trips to changed their format and eliminated the trip reports.

3. We picked up some projects . I now have less time and desire to report trip locations.

So everyone should stay in their own state?

Everyone should then stay in their own township?

This was for Shade’s Mill, Ontario. The first attempt was using the go.paddling app Iphone version around 12:50pm on Sept 26th. I first posted a second possible launch point location which is at the little docks next to the beach. It was accepted and showed in the app.

A few minutes later I posted several photos showing the launch point and surrounding area. The app said the submissions were accepted but til this day none of those photos show in the app or on the website comments.

So I gave it a day and created a post on the webpage using Diques on Sept 27th. I spent a considerable amount of time on it. I posted several photos and two youtube links to my GoPro FPV videos ( Kayaking Shades Mill lake 26 Sept 2021 East end 4K - YouTube and Kayaking Shades Mill lake 26 Sept 2021 North West 4K - YouTube in this case).

I went back and forth editing several times to get the formatting right in Disques so it showed up the least confusing in the app comments for Shade’s Mill. The post looked fine and was all saved as was showing up in the app as well. Then I came back to it on the webpage and it was gone. All of it. It was gone from the app as well.

I’ve stopped adding anymore contributions because of the time involved until I am confident none will be blown away again and that the way I am posting is appreciated by paddling.com. In the meantime I’m using Youtube and Facebook instead.

Hoping to hear back and that my posts can be restored.

Brian

Narrby, you are sadly correct. So many people do camp today - in trailers with air conditioning. I live outside of Baltimore City. I still have no air conditioning in my house. I wait all year for summer. I won’t sit in a house all year with the windows closed.

rstevens15, water temperatures were 82° this year. One year the water was 86°. By mid day, the waters jump 2°. Inside the covered hatch, I know the temperature has to be over 110-115°. A spray skirt would roast you. The worst track is paddling at 4 mph with anything from 2 to 6 mph coming from the stern on a 96° day with 90% humidity. I’ve used 2 two-liter bottles of water on a twenty mile trip. You won’t have any waves, but you’ll get back sitting in a puddle. Dang it’s nasty, but there must be something appealing about it. It ain’t fun, but I sure do enjoy it. HA! I guess it makes the air conditioner in the truck feel good.

My wife and I wear spray skirts year round on the Chesapeake with no problems. Keeps the sun off your legs and lower body and with yellow decks and the water temperature often being 10-15° cooler than the air temperature we don’t notice the cockpit being all that warm.

Of course YMMV.

1 Like

Never leave without a spray skirt ever. No sun, no bugs, no water.

1 Like

I bought a spray skirt years ago for when the waves kick up. The 145 Tsunami is relative slow for a sea kayak. It has the highest freeboard of any kayak I’ve reviewed, as well as the tallest front deck and most foot room at 16 inches (for anyone considering the Tsunami line, I believe the new models have revised dimensions. I looked at them in the showroom and prefer the old model). As a touring boat, it has an incredible amount of room for gear. The primary and secondary stability is so rock sid, I’ve never felt the need for a skirt, even on trips posting Small Craft Advisories. Even on long distant trips, s

Sorry, accidentally hit send button. Even on long distance trips, I’ve never been more than 1 1/4 miles from land in water temperatures in the high 70s or low 80s. I was confident in the boat at 265 lbs and since dropping to 230 lbs, the stabity and ability to stay dry in rough water is even more impressive. I recognize that sleeker boats are probably at least one mph faster, and joined the forum to research a new kayak. If you want or need a boat that’s rock stable with incredible capacity for gear, look at the Tsunami. The more I read, it’s apparent that so many forum member are far more adventurous. I respect the challenges and high adventure that many seek. I don’t consider myself an advanced kayaker and have no ambition to follow your incredible achievement. I’m impressed by what I read, but plan to stay in the tranquil waters of the Chesapeake Bay. I stayed out in conditions that 21 ft power boats abandoned as too rough and never blink.

I wouldn’t discourage any paddler from using an accessory that enhances confidence, safety, or manueverabity. I have no doubt that many of you venture out in conditions that would terrify me. That’s when I note wind velocities and direction, monitor wave heights, analyze currents, take advantage of lee shores or travel courses that have the wind blow me to land, explore coves and carry a VHF to monitor weather. I experience your adventures vicariously through your sharing. That makes me feel like I’m in a tandem with you, which is not bad. My quest for a better boat has turned to finding a faster paddle and improving my paddling technique. Despite my many infirmities and advancing age, all of you have helped me approach speeds that I feared impossible to reach. I’ve been able to improve my average trip speed over a set course by 1.9 mph since I resumed kayaking in July.

Even more important is that I can predict the pace of my improvement. The mental conditioning that I gained from all of you, allows me to tackle adverse conditions with a “force of will” that’s measurable on the recorded app graph that I started using after a member posted trip stats. The season is coming to an end for me, but next year will even be better. Thanks for the adventures.

1 Like

Distance from land is a funny thing. Where l and my husband, now just me, have rented in summer for l think 30 years now has a rich array of offshore Islands between a half and three miles out from the mainland. In the right circumstance there can be the run to Eastern Egg to see puffins, that comes out to 7 plus each way depending on launch point. And it is no landing - however you do Easter Egg you are in the boat for the final round trip from Harbor for 6 miles.

In many cases being near the shore of these islands only gets you a landing opportunity on the northern end. There may be little to non-existent landing points anywhere else. Unless you are better at running up on a flat rock, hopping out of the boat and securely getting a footing before the next wave hits than l am.

I am paddling solo these days so the longer legs are generally out of my safety margins. But when Jim and l used to take company out from inland, we would get about 3 miles from launch and realize that one of our company was really hugging the shoreline on the nearest island. Which was not always the safest place to be.

When we coaxed them out from the rocks we would usually find that they were freaked by being that far from the mainland. Inland paddlers. Looking south to see nothing but open water left them uncomfortable.

I had a great time, if not the most mileage, this last summer because l did two paddles which l had left off my list since Jim died due to concerns about the distance plus solo. I met up w Wolf and Seoris one day and we had a lovely paddle out to Little Thrumcap. A couple of days later the weather gods handed out a pretty flat water, sunny and perfect temperature day to do the the Muscle Ridge archipelago and get on the back side of Andrews Island. Plus high tide to get thru the western gut. Had it been in its low tide state l would have needed to reverse or add another island to go around paddling solo. It can be just a little too tricky thru there at low tide not to have company.

Inside the archipelago is quite safe, but the crossing from Birch Pt state park is pretty open mile and change.

In all cases the conditions turned to be pretty unexcitedly tame, at least by the standards of true adventure seekers. But these days it takes way safe conditions for me to try that kind distance offshore.

Thing is, aside from realizing that my arms will be falling off by the time l get home, there is nothing so pleasing to me as looking out on a,horizon and seeing a whole uninterrupted ocean beyond me. Don’t need to go into it, just want to get to where the civilized part is overcome by endless miles of water.

10-4, I will ping the devs to look at this.