Lake Chapala, Mexico?

Anyone ever paddled there? I know it has pollution problems and is relative shallow (and huge), but I haven’t heard of strong winds. There are no Mexican

sites listed on Places to Paddle.

Lake Chapala?
The only “Lake Chapala” I’ve ever heard of is in Baja, and is a dry lake! I’ve ridden my motorcycle across it many times!

Been there
It’s shallow – as you said – and beautiful. I’m not aware of any outfitters there. There’s a large ex-pat population of retirees there, and you might hook up a loaner with some prior research. Are you planning to drive there with kayaks? I think it would be a great place to paddle.

It’s been some time since I’ve visited, but I’d love to return. We stayed in Ajijic, and it was a lovely place with some great people.

Nope, this one…

– Last Updated: Jan-24-05 12:07 PM EST –

....is 25 miles south of Guadalajara, is one of the largest in Mexico. Lots of retired & snowbirding
Yanks and Canadians on its shores. AND its water has a high moisture content. I've seen fishing boats & a couple of water lice on it, but that's all. The town of Chapala has a marina with sail & power boats, now that I think of it.

We were there in late December…
…& loved it. We stayed in Guadalajara since it was a package deal, & bused down to Ajijic daily. We’re planning to go back this summer for a couple of weeks, may well become snowbirds, and possibly retire there. Weather is 70-85F year-round, and a couple can live well there for $1,000-1,500 a month. The estimate I heard was 25-35,000 gringos live around the lake. Some live in gated communities, but we’d prefer to live in a village w/ the Mexicans.