Lake Umbogog, NH canoe camping

-- Last Updated: Mar-20-06 3:43 PM EST --

While it's hard to find true wilderness large bodies of water in NH, this one sounds great but . . .except trip plans have to be in busy July. I've read about the lake in both NH and Maine Quiet water guides so know about the private reservations for wilderness sites, possible rough water, possible moose etc. I have two questions the books do not address.

1) overnight parking to camp is mentioned as roadside on Rt. 16 along the river access. How safe is this area for long-term parking-vandalism?
2)have jet-skis and motorboats overtaken this lake?

Sort of an answer.
We were there 2 years ago during the week and never saw a boat or j-ski the 3 days we were there. Not sure about the safety of the parking.

jet skis?
Umbagog is so shallow that motorboats and jet skis while allowed arent very prevalent. There are some lovely underwater rocks that have a reputation for tearing the heart off props and banging heads. Ergo the powerboaters arent wild. You as a paddler will be able to actually see the rocks.

True its not quite a wilderness experience but quite pleasant. If you park on the Magalloway River access its right by the park headquarters on Route 16 and quite safe with all the rangers and staff.

Umbagog parking
"True its not quite a wilderness experience but quite pleasant. If you park on the Magalloway River access its right by the park headquarters on Route 16 and quite safe with all the rangers and staff."

I agree with Kayamedic as to the parking. I’ve been up there the past 4 Labor Day weekends with the NH AMC paddling group and we’ve parked at the ranger station and never had any problems.

As for problems with boaters, we never had any bad encounters. Since we stayed close to shore and around the islands, we had no problems. On the rivers, the powerboaters were very pleasant about slowing down when they approached our group.

It is definitely a great place to paddle!

Peter

Great place
I live about a half hour from the lake and paddle and camp there often. If you’ve reserved a remote campsite (you need reservations) you’re supposed to check in at The Umbagog Lake State Park campground at the south end of the lake on Rt. 26 in Cambridge, NH., The entrance is just past the public access boat ramp. You leave your car in one of the parking lots there under the watchful eye of park employees. It will be perfectly safe.

There are two put ins along route 16, one is on the Magaloway river at the Umbagog Lake National Wildlife Refuge headquarters in Wentworth Location, I think it’s about six-eight miles north of the lake. You may or may not be able to leave your car there; you’ll have to ask permission at refuge headquarters first

The other is an unpaved and unattended ramp in Errol about a mile from Rt 26. It’s on the Androscoggin river, about three miles from the lake. I’ve never known anyone to leave a vehicle there overnight and I suspect either the marine patrol or fish &game department will try to track down the owner of any vehicle that was left there for any length of time.

There are some motor boats on the lake, mostly “pontoon” type boats but if you stay close to shore they won’t be a problem, as was already mentioned the shore is very rocky and shallow. I’ve never seen a jet ski on the lake but have seen water skiers.

Since your going in July I would come well prepared for both mosquitoes and black flies, they’ll probably be your biggest problem. Other than that have a great time, it’s a beautiful paddle.