Lakeport State Park,Michigan

Anybody been there to camp or paddle? I’m going there on opening day and I hope it’s not raining…I’m going to be near Port Huron and figured it was the closest place to camp that was going to be open for camping. I hope there are some trees around to break any wind that I might encounter but I do want to camp as close to the lake as possible…any thoughts?

So I guess nobody
from Michigan has ever camped here eh?

Lakeport
Hi Linda,

Lakeport is nice, you can camp right along the lake. It gets very busy in the summer. It’s not a heavely forested park but it’s not bad either. Going on opening day, I would call to check on wether the facilities are operational. Michigan State Park funding has been shrinking lately.

Sorry,
a bit too metro for my taste. Too many people and cars.

lakeport and another option
Pretty populated but it gets you close to the water.

If you want to go a bit further, you can check out Albert Sleeper State Park on the tip of the thumb area. Still pretty populated, but there are a few lakeside sites you should be able to reserve, and there is a nice paddle around the thumb to some rock formations. Also a nice sandy beach.

Anything from Tawas State Park on down will be pretty populated during the summer.

I can’t go far since I have to work
that Saturday…