Large thighs

@Peter-CA said:
The tempest families are a quite few years old. More recent designs often have more leg room built in for larger paddlers or less flexible paddlers. They are not as long as the Tempests, but take a look at the large version of the Dagger Alchemy and Stratos. I find they have more room for my bicyclist thighs than the Tempest 170 (I don;t think I even can sit in the 165).

I think Wilderness Systems also has a line or two aimed at larger paddlers. I am not an expert on this, so ask at your local shop. But here is what the web site points you to: http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/products?activity[]=26&size[]=35

When I tried to sit in the 165 it was comical the thigh pads literally cause my knees to hyper extend.

What’s odd is that the deck height of my current yak, Conduit 13, is listed as the same as the Tempest 165. I’m pretty frustrated, as honestly I paid $700 for the Tempest, yes I bought it and had it shipped used thinking it would be a fit. And now I’m unsure if I’ll be able to to recoup my costs.

The Conduit has no thigh braces and a 38" cockpit length. The thigh contact area only has foam riveted to the coaming edge and at the width you are likely sitting more splay legged than in a narrow beam kayak.

From your last post I don’t think that any of my suggestions are going to fit the budget you have in mind.

Sea kayak lengths
Impex Assateague $3722-$4450
P&H Cetus HV (maybe) $4000-$5250
P&H Scorpio HV $2100
Venture Kayaks Jura HV $1600

Touring kayak lengths
Venture Kayaks Islay 14 $1300
Venture Kayaks Islay 12 $1150

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Quit fooling around and just try out a CD Sirocco, or Gulfstream.

Don’t be so timid, pastrami. Move the seat back. Cut off any excess plastic at the bottom and move the seat aft. Bolt the front of the seat to the rear hole in the deck. Two bolts will hold it. You don’t need four. It works. Be bold. It doesn’t ruin the boat.

@Rex said:
Don’t be so timid, pastrami. Move the seat back. Cut off any excess plastic at the bottom and move the seat aft. Bolt the front of the seat to the rear hole in the deck. Two bolts will hold it. You don’t need four. It works. Be bold. It doesn’t ruin the boat.

If I can’t sell it at close to what I paid for it I may have to do that. I’ve got a guy willing to sell me a Tsunami 175 for slightly under $1000. But it’s all dependant on me selling the Tempest to be honest. I appreciate the advice!

I would not bother moving the seat. Go with the 175 the deck height is higher the entire combing will be higher. Move the seat and they if it is not done expertly where you can’t tell from stock and you are now selling a modded or butchered kayak that will turn most people off. You can move the seat but if the deck is to low your not doing anything much of anything to help your legs. Ask 700 for yours you may get a bite and may be you can sell it for 650 if they offer it? Just clean it well and wipe it down with 303. Ebay or craigslist. May be the other guy will drop his price a bit. Early in season don’t panic and buy something you don’t really fit in or like. I got some great kayaks for under 900.00 that are over 4 grand new with tax. Sirocco on ebay now 900 but it’s in CA but it gives you an idea on what may pop up. Look at kayaks for sale here. They may not be exactly what you want but you can get an idea of what things are worth being composite or roto. If you don’t fit in yours list it where ever you can fast. You can always come down when selling but not go up. So put asking 750 or so. You may get a taker for 700 or 650.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
I would not bother moving the seat. Go with the 175 the deck height is higher the entire combing will be higher. Move the seat and they if it is not done expertly where you can’t tell from stock and you are now selling a modded or butchered kayak that will turn most people off. You can move the seat but if the deck is to low your not doing anything much of anything to help your legs. Ask 700 for yours you may get a bite and may be you can sell it for 650 if they offer it? Just clean it well and wipe it down with 303. Ebay or craigslist. May be the other guy will drop his price a bit. Early in season don’t panic and buy something you don’t really fit in or like. I got some great kayaks for under 900.00 that are over 4 grand new with tax. Sirocco on ebay now 900 but it’s in CA but it gives you an idea on what may pop up. Look at kayaks for sale here. They may not be exactly what you want but you can get an idea of what things are worth being composite or roto. If you don’t fit in yours list it where ever you can fast. You can always come down when selling but not go up. So put asking 750 or so. You may get a taker for 700 or 650.

I’m really hoping to pick up a decent Tsunami 175. Like I said if I can get the one that’s about 2 hours away from me for under $1000 I’d be pretty happy. My main concern right now is moving the Tempest.

http://www.jsska.org/forum/wilderness-systems-tempest-165-sale-1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/332179731097
for an idea The 12.5" deck height it has is tight. Patience.

I have had a Tempest 170 composite for several years. I love the lines of the boat and how it is outfitted. I am 6’, 210 with a 32" inseam and somewhat tall back. I think you might find the Tsunami 175 to be a bit of a barge compared to the Tempest boats.

I also found the cockpit a bit confining getting in and out, scrapping shins on exit. Be aware Wilderness measures the cockpit from the outside coaming lip, which is bit deceptive in my opinion. Once in, I like the solid body contact. I met the designer of the Tempest, Steve Scherrer, a couple years ago at Paddlefest NW, and asked about moving the seat back. He said fine, go for it. There are videos available clearly showing how to remove the seat. The plastic boats do not require any seat base trimming in the rear as they have a vertical bulkhead behind the seat. The composite boats require trimming an inch off the rear seat base as the bulkhead is sloped forward to minimize cockpit volume if you want to go back the full 2". This sounds worse to do than it is. There is a thin seat base lip that can be easily trimmed with a razor knife.

I opted to only go back 1" to avoid doing this and to see how it affected things. There are no new deck holes required to be drilled, and no way would I consider either modification akin to screwing up the boat. The seat can easily be put back into the original location. I have it down to about an hour to make the change after having done this to two Tempests.

I think I may go back that other inch with my boat. I am afraid the Tempest 165 just might be too small for you with a lower deck height.

OK, this horse isn’t quite dead so I’ll beat on it a little more. Moving the seat is free. No cost. You (and someone else up there who has never done it) are concerned that it might ruin or devalue the boat. It won’t. If you don’t like the results of the move just put it back the way you found it. It just cost you some time. Be bold.

Moving the seat back will do zero for deck height. 12.5 deck and 21 beam is tight. Think someone said 12.5" is to top of combing making it even tighter. CD kayaks measurements are bottom inside hull to underside of deck. I am 6’ 230 lb. 38" waist big on top and could never fit in it. Looks low in pictures.

I guess it would help if Timid Pastrami would give us more details regarding weight. Yeah, if he or she weighs 300 pounds I’m wasting keystrokes here. I’m a road bicycle enthusiast so my thighs are thicker than average. My inseam is an inch longer than Pastrami’s. I’m about 185 pounds. Seat moving has worked great for me. I have a (thin) buddy at around 6’ 5" who also is comfortable in his Tempest 165 with the seat moved back.

@Timid_Pastrami said:
I’m really hoping to pick up a decent Tsunami 175. Like I said if I can get the one that’s about 2 hours away from me for under $1000 I’d be pretty happy. My main concern right now is moving the Tempest.

Given the experience you had with the T165, and the potential costs you are looking at for picking that up without trying it, I think it would behoove you to try any boat prior to buying. Your body is definitely different than the average, so finding out what works for others may not be that useful for determining what will work for you.

It may be outside your planned budget, but you really would benefit in going to a specialty retailer (someone like Marshall) who has knowledge and a fleet of boats to try and can get you in a good boat on the first try.

Nothing like trying something on ask OJ

You never did say what you weigh which is hat guys want to know so they can suggest a hull size for you. The T165 in my experience fits a paddler from 130lbs as a camping boat to 180lbs as a day boat. A Tsunami 175 is a huge boat, if you’re under 200lbs and paddle where its windy you’ll get pushed all over the place. The two guys that I know that have them are over 250lbs. The problem with the deck height in the Tempests is where the seat is located in relation to the cockpit. If your seat were further back you’d have more room. It’s a 10 minute job to unbolt the seat and try sitting in the cockpit with your back against the rear coaming. Here is a video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXnWvZiX4Z0

Yeah, sorry guys. I should have said my weight as well. I fluctuate anywhere between 220lbs to 240lbs depending on whether of not I’m getting ready for a lifting competition. I suppose if I really cleaned up my diet I could get sub 200, but I’d lose strength and honestly… As stupid as it sounds I just want my lifts to stay heavy. So I am forced to live with an odd body type. Finding pants that fit is nearly impossible for me too. If they fit my waist correctly it almost certainly never fit my legs.

Well you’re a pretty big guy, me too. You were right that the 165 will never fit. You might be able to paddle it without sinking but it will ride so low in the water that you will lose all the efficiency you are seeking. The T170 I love the hull on the water but I wear it rather than sit in it. Hitting a scramble on the water would be very tough with the seat mounted in the factory location. For big guy performance boats check out the Impex Assateague and P&H Scorpio both mentioned above. Also the Delta 17 or T180 if you want something really big. If you’re just looking for a day boat the Zephyr 160 is also very nice but not at fast as the others I listed. I realize these are past your budget but should be available on the used market other than the Scorpio HV which is new. You’ll also fit well in the Stratos L as suggested by Peter but it’s not overly fast (It is comforting in the rough stuff though). I fit easily in all the boats listed above with room to spare and am 245. I hope you find something that works for you.

I’m similar. Not as big as in my 20’s and nowhere as big as you but I’ve still got the large wheels. Nowadays I focus on staying lean.

I ordered a Zegul Nuka as it fit my size range back in September, a beautiful red/white with clear carbon hull. I go to pick it up and I barely fit and my thighs bulged out. Thankfully they had a Arrow play MV which fits but was green/white. Not my first choice but at least they had a boat that fit, most of the Zegul boats were gone.