larger paddler recomendation

hi Gang

I live down here in Fla and have started the look for a yak. Pretty sure I don’t want a fishing yak, more of a rec/touring boat. My plans are for day trips a few overnighters and hopefully something longer 3-5day trips. I’m 6,3 240lbs looking for a nice efficient yak. I seem to be leaning towards the tsunami 145,165 or the new Focus 155 by Wilderness systems. My budget is $1500 for the yak . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I will be using this in rivers and saltwater lagoons and possibly some open water stuff in the everglades.

Thanks for your help

Don’t jump too soon
There are a ton of boats that fit your budget, so do a lot more looking. There are also a ton of boats that suit your size, so do a lot more looking. I would suggest for instance, the Current Designs Sirocco.

I hope you have included a fair budget for a paddle, pfd and a whole bunch of other odds and ends that you’ll need before you’re ready to hit the water. I also hope that you will seek advice from knowledgeable folks especially about a proper pfd and paddle.

equipment
ive budgeted $100-125 for pfd and $400 for a paddle for the big ticket stuff. Were also building a 4 yak rack off of a boat trailer to haul with.

In the ballpark
You should be able to find a decent pfd for the price you’re budgeted for, but be sure it is a paddling pfd. On the paddle, I would opt for two paddles if you really intend to spend around $400. Actually, you should be able to find two very, very good paddles for that amount. One that I would highly recommend for a spare, or even for your number one, would be the Carlisle Expedition.

Interesting
So the consensus would be to get two heavier lower cost paddles instead of one ultralight one?? I understand the safety aspect of the idea but I would think that a lighter main paddle would help with fatigue and a heavier back up paddle just in case would work?

Add a Jura HV
Add a Venture Kayaks Jura HV to your list and get a paddle that you like at the end of the day.

There are be on-water outfitters that sell kayaks down in SW FL that will be able to give you good advice and provide you the opportunity to try out the recommended models.

See you on the water,

Mashall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

You be the judge
I didn’t recommend getting “heavier low cost” paddles per se–just saying that there are plenty of very nice glass paddles and even some carbon paddles that are far less than $400. Again, do a lot more looking. I suspect that the first boat you get, won’t be your last and neither will the paddle.