Largo, Fl paddling recommendations

-- Last Updated: Feb-14-08 9:46 PM EST --

Request
Going to Largo to see my Mom 2/21-2/25.
Tried to use the places-to-paddle page, but my Florida geography is lacking.
Any recommendations?
I know the Sweetwater Symposium is that weekend, and it's 20 minutes from my Mom's condo. That's my backup if suggestions don't fit timewise.
Thanks in advance,
Kaps

Fla advice
Try www.clubkayak.com looking for local groups near where you want and try to link up.

You didn’t say
You didn’t say what kind of paddler you are or your experience level or the mileage you’re looking for on a paddle. For flat water, try Craig Park in Tarpon Springs, watch your way so you don’t get lost in the canals. For open water and a paddle around Anclote Key try Howard Beach in Tarpon Springs. Boga Ciega Millennium Park near you is pretty, with areas that are flat and protected and areas of open water. Watch the tides, you cannot launch here at all during low tide. For very open water, try Fort DeSoto Park south of you. If you are seriously interested in any of these, go here http://www.pennkayaker.com/LadyJustice and get my email and then email me for more information.

Susan

Paddling near Largo
Take a look at this web site for ideas.

http://www.clubkayak.com/tbsk/showpage.asp?page=paddleplaces

The links near the bottom of the page are pretty good. The hard part for you is choosing which place(s) to go. I’m partial to the Hillsborough River in north Tampa.

Here’s a list for ya’
From mouth of Tampa Bay heading north:

Pinellas County

Gulfside:

Passage Key

Egmont Key

Ft. DeSoto

Caladesi Island

Honeymoon Island

North Honeymoon Island

Anclote Key

North Anclote Key

Bayside:

Weedon Island

South of the Mouth of Tampa Bay North (Counterclockwise):

Manatee County:

Terra Ceia Bay

Bishop Harbor

Hillsborough County:

Cockroach Bay

Little Manatee River

Mouth of L.Manatee River

E.G.Simmons Park

Alafia River

Hillsborough River (several sections)

Upper Tampa Bay Park

If you wish for more info about any of these locations email as to which site(s) interest you and I’ll tell you what I know.

Weedon Island
If you’re going to be in Largo your best bet is Weedon Island canoe trail. Sweetwater Kayaks rents boats or if you have your own you can put in at the kayak ramp. There is some good narrow mangrove paddling if you go clockwise through the trail, and good bay and open water paddling if you go counterclockwise through the trail.

Also, like some others suggested, Ft Desoto has great paddling of all kinds. You can do the canoe trail there for more mangrove paddling, or for open water, paddle off the beach to Egmont key (1 1/2 miles) across the Tampa Bay Shipping channel.

You can also rent there if you don’t have your own boat.

These would be my 2 suggestions if you’re going to be in Largo, but you can contact either Bill Jacksons Sport shop or Sweetwater kayaks or canoe country outfitters(all in Largo) for more info. I’ve found the people at Tackle Shack (also in Largo) VERY pushy and annoying.

Thank you all for your help
My time will be short this trip, I will most likely reconnoiter and plan for the next time.

Lady Justice, TY , will do.

I’ve enjoyed your posts on Pennkayaker.

Again, thanks to all.

Kaps