latex allergy

A year or so ago or so I posted some questions about dry suits (but cant find the post now for some reason) anyway,from that post and other things I had read here I decided I wanted to get a dry suit . While researching makes and models my hands started itching and little bumps showed up on the backside of my hands, after about a week they turned to sores and started oozing puss .

After six years of using latex gloves (non powered) I had developed a latex allergy when I quit using the gloves every thing went back to normal .a few months later I tested my self, to make sure it was the latex and not something else that I had been exposed to and sure enough after two days with about 4 hours exposure each day, the symptoms came back. The company doc says that everyone if exposed enough will develop skin irritation to latex and there is no getting rid of it except buy avoiding contact.

I was pretty bummed out since dry suit gaskets are latex .I wrote an email to “the kayak academy” asking if there were seals made of other materials such as nitril or silicone. They replied back after a few days saying that my best bet wound be to buy a supernova and try wrapping my wrists in plastic wrap.

Anyone have a better solution? I really don’t care for my wet suit .

Can’t wait till spring to get back out again

Thanks,

Bob

Better Idea

– Last Updated: Feb-10-07 11:03 AM EST –

Stohlquist Body Pod, and use unscented talcum powder on your neck around paddling. Neoprene neck that is a better seal than the SuperNova.

You'll still have a problem with the wrists - in just about everything - at that point the Kayak Academy's idea may be best.

Or check with Immersion Research - they have a thickened neoprene neck and the same on their shorty tops - they may be willing to put together an drytop for a two piece system that has neoprene wrists similar to the neck. Then have someone like Kokatat add goretex booties to a decent mating bottom?

contact dermatitis
After using a drysuit for 3 years, I developed an irriation around the front of the neck. Finally went on a course of oral steroids for 2 weeks to get rid of the rash/hives. Lo and behold the rash came back after about a week.

With a little detective work, I deduced that in fact, it was a face lotion that I had developed a reaction to, coincidentally in a drysuit neck ring. Really weird. Probably a combination of the latex and the lotion both bothering the skin.

During this period, I used a buff headgear “tube” down the neck of the drysuit to prevent contact of the latex to the skin. It was quite effective keeping the latex from touching. It did wick water and when I surfed with it in december, I did get a bit wet around the neck area inside the suit. I didn’t get a reaction though. I will continue to wear this inside the suit as it allows me to continue wearing it and paddling through the winter.

If I was to somehow end up out of my boat for an extended period of time, I would be able to quite easily pull the buff out of the neck so that I had a better neck seal. So this is a viable workaround for me. I would imagine that you could do the same thing inside your wrist gaskets.

Suz

Yeah. or…
…buy a neoprene hood with a full neck and

then cut the hood off. Maybe someone offers

neoprene wrist tubes?

I used a buff headgear “tube” down the neck

of the drysuit to prevent contact of the

latex to the skin.

thanks
For your great input, I will check out the body pod a bit closer and the immersion research stuff to .The tube idea really sounds allot better than goofing around with plastic wrap and I like the idea of being able to pull it out if you get in trouble or want to do some rolling practice. Probably would be able to make some neo tubes for my wrists if I cant find any. It’s encouraging to hear that others have had similar issues and been able to circumvent them successfully.

thanx again,

R.Watson

should be able to attach gloves
like nordic blues. with thin liners you should be able to avoid contact withthe latex.

Latex in adhesive used on neoprene…
I am also allergic to latex (after years of using latex gloves while working with special needs children). While at the NH Paddlesport last year, I inquired about latex and neoprene and was told that neoprene does not contain latex…BUT the adhesive used to apply the backing does. So be careful…my doc says that the more exposure you have, the more sensitive you will become to it.

I wonder
If barrier cream would work for Latex exposure. The only way to know would be to try it.

http://www.tedpella.com/handclnr.htm

Latex Alergy

– Last Updated: Feb-13-07 1:39 PM EST –

Reed Chillcheater paddlewear does not use latex in its gaskets. They are made from Aquatherm, a proprietary fabric with a polyurethane coating. Not as stretchy as Latex, but in the two years I have been distributing the products in North America, I have not seen one torn gasket.
Availabler at selected dealers in North America. Dealer list at www.reednorthamerica.com

Customize body pod
Maybe you could get a body pod with neoprene neck, and have someplace like Rainy Pass install neoprene wrist gaskets - customizing drysuits is what they do.

www.rainypass.com

I guess it wouldn’t help if the adhesive affects you as stated above.

Customized B-pod is my vote too.
Heck, it may be the next generation for the bodypods. Also, it may be possible to use RTV/silicone as both a sealant and a laminate over latex creating a stretchy, waterproof barrier over more durable latex.

Jim

ok
Looks like the consensus is for the bpod and after doing some looking I would have to say I am leaning that way also. I just emailed some dealers closest to me to see if they had any in stock so I can at least see if a standard size will fit me. Thank you all for your great ideas and experience. I will try to post what I come up with that works for me after I get some time in the suit this spring.

R.Watson

Oh yes , I haven’t had any problems with neoprene yet