Lauderdale and the Keys this Weekend

Hey there. I posted this a couple days ago in Getting Together. Only got one response and since I know there are some southern Floridians here…I was wondering if this sounds right. From what antiqfreq says, I might as well leave the boat at home… Not overly familiar with the area, but I can’t believe there’s only one put in. I am willing to do a little driving.

-----

Going to visit the folks in Lauderdale (Davie? they say) while they’re finishing a contract. Probably driving down Thursday night after work and have most of Friday, Monday and Tuesday to explore while they’re at work. Sat and Sun they want to go play in the Keys. Don’t know which one…they say they have plans…I’ve never been to the Keys so I’m just waiting to be surprised. But I’d like to bring a boat and do a little paddling while they’re punching the clock. (To clarify, in the Lauderdale area) So…should I bring the Tempest or the Kaos? Where should I go? Would someone like to go with? Are there fees to put in down there??? I don’t mind boat traffic but I would like to paddle for the pleasure of it rather than for fear of loss of limbs if possible. Visited the inlaws in Pompano recently and thought the speedboats were out to kill. One actually hit a tourboat we were on.

I know there are folks here from that area and I would love a heads up from those familiar with the place. I love company and I’m a decent paddler but I haven’t developed the stamina that some folks here have. Much more than 10-12 miles in a day and I’m getting out of my league. Working on that though!!

Many happy returns of the rain here by the way!! Woohooo!!!

-Toddy

------------Reply by Antiqfreq-------------

Anne Kolb Center

Posted by: antiqfreq on Jun-13-06 1:11 PM (EST)

The Anne Kolb Center is near Hollywood Beach,

and the park across the street from it (South side of Street) will allow you to put in your kayak

there and paddle around the bay area.

This park is on Sheridan Street, go east towards the

ocean & before the big bridge leading to A1A is the park.

This is closest place to paddle in Davie where you will be (I live near Davie)

Other than that,take your Kayak with you to the keys and you’ll have a great time paddling there.

Only other place to paddle would be Miami area and

that is no where near Davie!

Good Luck & have fun!

Jo

Best Bets in Key Largo

– Last Updated: Jun-14-06 10:03 PM EST –

Pennekamp State Park Mile Marker 103 oceanside (left side heading south).
Florida Bay Outfitters MM 104 Bayside.

In Fort Lauderdale there is George English Park on Sunrise, easy urban paddling. A free beach put-in but pay for parking.

North Miami Beach.. Oleta State Park, great during the week.. semi urban.

Have Fun.

kayak choice…
Hey there,

I don’t think anyone has answered on which boat to bring. There is no bad choice, of course.

But you won’t be finding a lot of surf at Lauderdale or the Keys, as both are protected by reefs. If winds are favorable, you may find some surf, but I’d take the touring boat, unless you want some sun on your legs.

It’s all good,

T

Free parking at George English
Second entrance by the basketball courts. Put in is close. Access to ICW, Middle river, expensive waterfront homes, New River, etc.

West Lake park (Sheridan) is good, has access to ICW at either end too. Lake have no motor traffic and mangrove trails at edges. Not far from Port Everglades. There is another small park near the South end of that on the ICW with paid parking near the boat ramp - but free back by ICW (or was last time I was there).

Just across the ICW is John U. Lloyd Beach State park. It has a small maybe 2 mile long tidal creek, again with access to ICW at either end. Small entrance fee to the park, or you can pay to park in Dania pier lot and launch from small beach on the creek there.

Oleta River State Park in N Miami at the North end of Biscayne Bay is also not far and offers some variety. Quieter back waters, ICW, the Bay itself, and ocean access through Haulover inlet. Large parking lot. Kayak launch is just before on right, across from the rental place and bike wash.

Google maps/Google Earth will show these spots.

Even if you have other plans Sat/Sun - make sure they stop by Florida Bay Outfitters in Key Largo - mile marker 104 on the bay side as you pass through.

depending on the weather
charlie, Kris (Greyak) and I sometimes meet at George English or Oleta for a paddle, sometimes going through the inlet if it is not too rough. E-mail me if you would like and we might be able to do something. I am free Sundays and Mondays, while Charlie and Kris have the entire weekend off. However, I am free just about every afternoon as I have an early shift.

Definitely bring the Tempest if you are planning on bringing a boat.

Oleta will host,
the Sunshine State Games canoe and kayak race this weekend, sprints on Sat. and Marathon at Blue Marlin Marina on Sunday.

HEX

Fort Lauderdale and South Florida

6th Annual Kayak Against Cancer this Saturday morning June 17th, 0630 registration $ 35 minimum donation, 8-12.5 mile ocean padddle benefitting the American Cancer Society. Fort Lauderdale Beach across from Oasis Cafe, South end of the strip. WWW.kayuba.com

As previously mentioned:

George English Park for urban paddling of Venice of America (las Olas Isles). I like this best at night, mainly your checking out rich people houses and yachts. Bring your dinner and refreshments. Park near basketball court at no charge.

West Lake Park Hollywood at Sherston Street and Intrecoastal waterway.

Whiskey Creek launch Dania Beach pier, parking $ 1.50 an hour.

Launch at Cooleys Landing boat ramp fee area and paddle the New River west. Boat traffic can be a challenge. NW 7th ave and New River bridge.

Oleta State Park for a mix of South Florida nature and urban paddling. North Miami a short drive from fort Lauderdale via I-95. $ 3 park fee

Loxahatchee Preserve Canoe Trail, West Delray, gotta like your gators and snake though. 30 miles north.

Loxahatchee River Jupiter, awesome paddling. $ 10 launch fee and plus shuttle fee if you don’t go out and back. Verify hurricane damage before you go. Short maneuverable boat best.

Launch Fort Lauderdale beach north of sunrise boulevard for an ocean paddle, go early before 0800 to ghet free parking and conveneinet launch spot.

You can’t beat the keys, Garden Cove Key Largo about 100 miles south on oceanside. No charge.

Indian and Lignumvitae key Islamorada key, nice paddle in good clean water with good history lesson on the islands.

Of course there is Flamingo EV Nat Park, Everglades City EV Nat park,

I think there are offshore power boat races of Hollywood or Dania beach this weekend also. Sunday is biggest and fast day.

I will be at the Kayak Against Cancer event, come on by with your sea kayak. join the cause and post event fun at the bahia Cabana.

Brian

Fort laud

Thanks!!
Have to keep this short. Only have my Palm so I’m sooo slow… stylus, grafitti…Just got into town (230am) since I had to work late in Orlando. You guys made me really want to bring the Tempest but M&D said no room in condo. (I thought EVERYONE had a yak or 3 inside!)So it.was short boat or no boat. Have Kaos. will play after a l.ittle sleep. Thx for all the gr8 tips!!-Toddy

Thanks again!
Hey there. Just wanted to properly thank everyone for all the suggestions. Got a little time out in the Keys. Never been before. Key West was a tourist trap and a bit of a let down…But wow, the smaller ones were great. I love all the reefs and the crystal clear water. Wow. Got some great pics and had a nice time with the folks. Went to South Beach for the first time…I live under a rock and we made the mistake of being there after the Heat won. Very busy. OOPS. Didn’t get to bring the Tempest though I can see why everyone suggested it. But the Kaos was fun. Left it with my dad so he can play a little while they’re down in Lauderdale. Trying to set up Photobucket so maybe some day I’ll get some pics. If I go back I’ll take the Tempest and give you guys a ring!

Thanks again-

Toddy