Launch from beach low to moderate surf

Be sure to mark you kayak with name and contact information.

Is it also wise to apply your own toe tag before heading out into the rough stuff? I suppose a dog tag would also work.

Toes will disappear over time. Putting your name on your wetsuit may be a more long-lasting solution.

https://www.dagbladet.no/spesial/vatdraktmysteriet/eng/

@SeaDart said:
…stuff deleted
Peter was trying to politely tell you that your idea of pulling the kayak out through the surf with a rope is a very bad idea.

What could possibly go wrong? Nobody ever loses their footing and gets tumbled and rolled in the surf zone. And ropes never tangle around bodies that are tumbled in the surf zone. And, oh yes, how could a 50 lb. anchor also tumbling in the surf be a problem? I just don’t see it.

Just because you were able to get away with something dumb once, doesn’t mean it is a good idea. The idea that you did this with the rope attached to your wrist just boggles the mind.

If you want to avoid the surf completely, fine. Haul the boat out through the surf by hand. Do not let the boat get between you and the beach. If you lack the skills to do this, you don’t belong in a swimming pool with your boat, much less the ocean.

If you want to learn to handle your craft, learning to enter and exit through surf is a must. As Seadart said, start small. Obeserve others. Watch videos. Take classes. Join a club. Do something.

But do not use a rope.

Pardon me folks, I’m not in the mood for subtlety any more. Must be my old age.

Rick

Lot of that going on here. Age that is.

@rjd9999 said:
Do not let the boat get between you and the beach.

Huh?

Did you mean “Do not let yourself come between the boat and the beach”?

Oops. this is what happens when you type late at night. You are correct.

To then OPer -

One unanswered question is exactly what do you want to do with the Scrambler, other than get it beyond the breakers? Do you want to learn to mess around in the surf, or were you thinking of it for use beyond the breaks? Once you tow it out with the other boat, what use would you make it?

It’s not like you should turn the other boat loose and to find its own way the beach.