Launch from beach low to moderate surf

I just picked up a Scrambler 11’ sit on top. I have launch my Hobie 16’ catamaran in low to moderate surf many times, and thought it would be a breeze to launch the Scrambler.

I am humbled, not so ! I have read the info about timing etc. unless I am missing something it’s simply a matter of waiting for a lull and paddling through. As an alternative,
I wonder if anyone has launched using a 100’ rope. I anticipate swimming out past the break and trailing the kayak, giving it enough slack to get shoved back as nedded,
and simply pulling it though after the next breaking wave.

This may seem like the wimpy way to go… but better than these 60 year old bones getting pummeled . Searched the net, no examples of this. Anyone ever seen this done or tried it ?

First it’s only 11 ft and a sit on top. Two handicaps. It will turn easily. Center of gravity is higher.

The number one mistake is not paddling up and over the swell. As the swell lifts the bow you need to reach in and pull a stroke …or… two through the wave top. Most starters air brace , which does nothing good. Paddle through.

You are going to get a lap full of water…paddle through.

The wave will try and turn you go straight up and over. Paddle through.

If the waves are head ht on the kayak and curling break. Beginners paddle on sot is through. Go back to the beach. …and pick up your water bottles and other gear that wasn’t tied in.

On turns you have to be a little ahead of the boat. If you try and rudder turn after the turn started it’s too late.

I don’t know exactly what “low to moderate” surf is as it could be very different depending on where you are paddling (ie. a small lake vs the Pacific Ocean). If the surf is more than a foot or two you need to look out on the water and search for sets which are groups of waves that come through occasionally and are bigger than the normal waves. Wait for those to come ashore before you launch. If you can, try to position your boat where the last wave in the set can wash you out. It takes some practice but once you become familiar the surf it is a lot easier launching. I’d stay away from using any ropes as getting tangled up in one in surf could be disastrous. Plus it’s always a good idea to improve your kayaking skills.
As stated above, the surf and currents will often try to turn your boat sideways so try to keep the nose of your kayak into the waves so you don’t get washed in. Once you’re parallel with the waves you have lost the battle. And, should you get out of your boat, always make sure you are between the waves and the boat - never between your boat and the shore as your boat could cause you some bodily harm.
Even though they are for sit in ocean kayaks, here are a couple links. to videos you may find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqFjEK3mnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_JUMbMppNA

Here’s some SOT surf entries…….https://youtube.com/watch?v=7uxNdLkoCdU

On rope, you likely would find tgat you can’t pull the boat out. If it is still beached, it would be locked on beach and would effectively pull yourself back in. If it is floating when you go to pull it out (which may not be likely - the surf would push it in), it likely woukd get caught by the surf, which will be trying to push it back in.

In some launch situations, like from rocks, you send the boat out first and swim after it. If the surf is a dumping surf (so breaks very close to beach), this may be a possibility. If you time it wrong, the boat may come back to you. There is a risk of the boat floating away before you swim out to it.

Best may be to see if you can find someone to teach you surf zone skills. It is a bit more than paddling out in a lull in the waves. And it should also teach you how to handle it when you mistime the lull, which invariably will happen.

Like above… You have to be able to paddle over the waves regardless of craft. You likely have an easier time getting the hull speed to do that in the 16 ft Hobie than in the shorter SOT.
I have seen people try very short WW boats in surf thinking that they are for dimensional water. But they find that trying to paddle against incoming surf is a very different animal than paddling downstream with current. Their lack of hull speed and very high maneuverability become liabilities unless someone is pretty skilled.

Something people have not yet mentioned directly, though it is implied.

In some of these videos the paddlers are shown holding their paddle in front of them with both hands.
Don’t do this. A wave will drive the paddle shaft into your face and can cause considerable pain, if not injury (loss of teeth in the wave is strong enough). You want to be pulling on the paddle at the apex of the wave so that you are driving the boat forward even as the wave is breaking. This will not only give you more control, but will avoid injury from the paddle.

Rick

That is great advice while negotiating any very steep wave that might break, or slap you with a face full of water. I kind of learned the hard way that one should point the paddle into the wave. I was strong enough to take the full brunt of the wave without being clobbered by the paddle shaft, but I still got the message.

Thanks for all the feed back. I am launching out of Southern Cal in the Pacific. Two to three foot breaking waves, crest about 100’ from the high water mark. I can partially float the kayak where the surf is foamy & dispelled Easily swim through the break and be in 3’ or 4’ deep water, 5’ max when the swell comes . Still touch bottom with my feet and get traction.

I anticipate is it will be easy to keep the bow pointed right into the break if pulling from the front. Surprised no one has seen this attempted. Maybe it’s been tried & flopped thus no reference to it on all the web !? I see no risk, other than a bruised ego… so guess I will try this.

Why ask if you’re just going to do it anyway?

Paddling from closer to the bow gives more control of the bow, yeah. But hull speed is tremendously helpful in making that power successful. A shorter slower boat is still slower boat And it is going to be harder to manage physically.

Would you consider advice on a different boat or are you wedded to the Scrambler?

@george49 said:
I anticipate is it will be easy to keep the bow pointed right into the break if pulling from the front. Surprised no one has seen this attempted. Maybe it’s been tried & flopped thus no reference to it on all the web !? I see no risk, other than a bruised ego… so guess I will try this.

If you are still considering swimming out with 100’ of rope and pulling the kayak through the surf, the risk I see is getting entangled in the rope and possibly drowning. For me that would not be a risk that I would consider acceptable.

I asked for feedback to see if anyone had experience with this or seen this done & for pointers/feedback…no intent to be a smart aleck. I use a floating rope…water skiers deal with long ropes all of the time, It would take some convoluted moves to entangle & drown. Anyway, worked fine today. I tried with both 100’ and 30’ of rope. The 30’ length worked just as well… almost better. I could time the sets better, swim just ahead of the last breaking wave and pull the Scrambler through.

For me the most important precaution was to use a T handle, not wrap the rope around my hand.
Worse case would be needing to let go if the rig was broadsided return to shore and try again.

Your mileage might vary,

You’ve gotten some good advise on launching into the surf,
now an example of how NOT to launch with a sit on top:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWr1rLO5WY

• just count the number of things done wrong

@george49 said:
I asked for feedback to see if anyone had experience with this or seen this done & for pointers/feedback…no intent to be a smart aleck. I use a floating rope…water skiers deal with long ropes all of the time, It would take some convoluted moves to entangle & drown. Anyway, worked fine today. I tried with both 100’ and 30’ of rope. The 30’ length worked just as well… almost better. I could time the sets better, swim just ahead of the last breaking wave and pull the Scrambler through.

For me the most important precaution was to use a T handle, not wrap the rope around my hand.
Worse case would be needing to let go if the rig was broadsided return to shore and try again.

Your mileage might vary,

Not to be smart aleck, but the scrambler should be fine in getting through “moderate” surf (some folks use it a surfing kayak), depending on the rider using it. Why not spend some time practicing getting out in low surf and then riding in? Heck, besides picking up some surf paddling skills, you might actually come to enjoy it. :wink:

sing

A surf padding addict

Yes, thanks Sing… next step ! I wanted to get comfortable on the thing, seeing how it turns/handles, practice capsize, righting & getting back on; Thanks to all for your thoughts.

@george49 said:
Yes, thanks Sing… next step ! I wanted to get comfortable on the thing, seeing how it turns/handles, practice capsize, righting & getting back on; Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Should mention that I am a big fan of thigh straps for SOTs (have 'em on my three SOTs). These allow for better control of the kayak. Also, in paddling out, the thigh straps ensure you don’t get blasted out by a breaking wave, or falling out when you plop on the backside of a steep cresting wave. When you don’t need them, these can just lay on the side of the boat. The straps are also helpful hand holds, if you are in the water and have to remount the kayak.

sing

Of the comments you have gotten here, Sing and Peter are the most experienced kayakers for dealing with breaking out in surf. The Scrambler is actually an excellent SOT for launching through beach break. In the right hands it takes a huge amount of punishment and still stays upright. Thigh straps are going to help as Sing suggested. You should take some lessons on coastal paddling. IF you are in Southern California talk to the folks at Aqua Adventures in San Diego. Peter was trying to politely tell you that your idea of pulling the kayak out through the surf with a rope is a very bad idea. Go to a beach with very small waves and practice, then move to bigger waves. It’s very important that you choose the site to launch to match the conditions that day. What you can do one day, may be impossible in big dumping surf. What beach are you trying to launch from? I may be able to suggest alternatives, I’ve paddled most of the coastline in SOCAL.