Layup Question

I know its beating a dead horse, but if the intent was to drag over rocks, Kevlar is the absolute worst outer layer fabric that could be chosen. Glass, Carbon, or the other abrasion resistant fabric who’s name im forgetting would all be much much better choices since they can be sanded and repared easily and dont fuzz. worn kevlar is a B^*%^ to repair as we all know.

CA139… What’s that thing weigh? Dragging it over rocks, with the outrigger attached seems like it wouldn’t work out well even if a paddler could drag it.

I’m sorry the whole discussion is way out of normal expectations.

Does it float?

I know, it was an awful boat. It started years ago when I wanted to help my dear old friend and just gave him a few bucks here or there to complete it. The project took a long time and ended up with an awful boat that you see.

It was 180lbs and couldn’t get out of its own way. He rationalized it by quoting all kinds of yacht design and boat building equations and accused all other existing kayaks of being just “barges”. The truth is that in over an hour of paddling this piece of garbage in a protected cove I moved about 50-100 yards, mostly with slight current and waves. It did not respond at all to any paddling input be it to turn or try to move forward. He had to come bail me out with his little motorboat. So I think the actual “barge” was his design, not the 99.9999% of all other kayak designs starting with the $400 REI specials which even at that point are quite lovely and responsive as they actually move and respond when you paddle them.

Now as I understand it you shouldn’t drag a kayak on rocks regardless. You can get away with it using a plastic boat (but it’s not good for it). The composites find a different kind of durability: they’re light enough to carry and put in the water. I had no idea.

Now that I am moving forward and realize this boat was built on a large number of flawed and incorrect assumptions I am looking for answers. I appreciate the input, even the disparaging remarks which are very telling and informative. So I am not crazy to think that this design is totally impractical, crazy and a non-starter.

Gotta give him credit for seeing the project to completion though.
If you never attempt anything you will not learn by your mistakes which is how many great projects evolve.

The difference is that he still believes his project is better than any kayak ever built, that all the other designs are just “barges” compared to his wonderful jewel and thinks that I am too impatient to deal with this.

The problem isn’t necessarily not being willing to try anything new. The problem is pouring vast amounts of resources in things whose outcome is unpredictable or questionable, and having a degree of confidence far in excess of one’s actual experience or knowledge level and persisting wasting time and money on it.

Patience and persistence only pay off when applied to something that is constructive and has a reasonably good shot at bringing about a favorable outcome. Not doing the same thing over and over again while you violate industry standards and insist that it’s better than everything when nothing is further from the truth.

EVEN after the boat couldn’t be paddled and had to be towed back to port. I think I hired him once. Perhaps he should switch to used cars.

As entertaining as this is, I’m curious if the builder of this thing has any paddling experience?
Seems he has different ideas than someone who actually participates in the sport and has spent so many hours paddling, loading and moving kayaks.

The short answer is no. Had some training as a naval architect for a while. When he started it seemed like he knew what he was doing as he was just starting up. Many years later I am not aware of any progress and he seems to have found another field of work. It sounds like he’s still interested in it but I think what might work in a racing sailboat (or what someone thinks might work in a racing sailboat) doesn’t necessarily apply to a human powered craft.