"leaning back to alter trim" ?

as in:

“A growing number of folks want to lean way back to alter the trim of their boat. The Osprey Standard has now been modified to accommodate laying back on the rear deck.”

(http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/OSPSTD.asp)

what does this mean? (yeah, i’m paddilliterate)

thanks!

A bit strange

– Last Updated: Apr-11-06 7:22 PM EST –

If you lean forward, the bow of your kayak will drop deeper into the water. If you lean back, the bow will rise.

In certain situations (eg, surfing on waves), leaning back will keep the bow from getting buried (perling) in the wave ahead of the boat. Leaning back is something you'd do temporarily (because it's tiring). For normal paddling, it's going to be much more comfortable sitting upright (or, maybe, leaning a little bit forward).

If you lean too far back, you lose a lot of ability to react (eg, brace). So, there's a real limit to the usefulness of this technique.

A lower rear coming is often indicated as a benefit to eskimo rolling (and to layback rolls, in particular). It isn't necessary to have a low back deck for a normal, well-executed sweep roll.

If one had a permanent trim problem, you'd move the seat.

It's still an odd statement...

"A growing number of folks want to lean way back to alter the trim of their boat."

What's this groundswell of people wanting to lean "way back" to alter the trim of their boat?

Recess…
Pygmy has recessed the rear of the cockpit on several of the models. Leaning back for one thing will let the boat turn downwind easier. Also will let you do more corrections in the surf. Remember unless you add one the boat doesn’t have a rudder or a skeg. It also helps in rolling.

not all

– Last Updated: Apr-11-06 6:45 PM EST –

boats are as easy to balance by trim of the boat....but when you have it right you can use your weight to alter the way the boat handles...such as if you are going out thru waves you want to ride over, timming a backwayd lean can raise the bow ....up and over....or if you want to dive thru a wave, lean slightly forward (or slap your face to the deck and dive)...if you catch a wave riding from place to place, a slight lean forward can keep you on the wave and a slight lean back can allow you to let the wave go and slide off the back side....especially when rideing dumping stuff in to shore...rather than getting dumped out of the sky onto the beach, it pays to back off slightly at just the right moment....sometimes it's a crap shoot..(the timming)...but the boat needs to be properly trim to do it and you need to be able to lean in all directions for the proper weight shifting

Hope that is sort uv understandable....maybe Sing will come to the rescue , if it isn't (unless he rides in the curl, that's a little different)

Best Wishes
Roy

Rolling and Bracing
Eric Jackson teaches that the best way to brace and roll is to lean way back. Looks like the maker is modifying the boat for those folks who want to brace and roll the EJ way.

I have had trouble with certain c-1s and
kayaks where the back of the cockpit inhibited backward leans. In WW, it is essential to be able to lean way forward or back in order to loft the stern or bow for certain kinds of turns. Another reason to get the back of the cockpit significantly lower than the front is that it makes entry and exit easier, without having to put in an unusually long cockpit.

You Hit It Right
The boat has to be trimmed correctly for the paddler in the first place. Than the paddler can lean forward or backward to effect a specific purpose.

With surfing, if you lean forward once on the wave, the tendency to aggressively engage the rails for carving and speed. If you lean back, the tendency is to slow down. If you lean way back, you can actually stall and end up the backside of the wave. If you have a late take-off on a steep wave, leaning back can lift the nose and save a pearling face plant, although better approach is to quickly go on edge and carve awave from a pearl.

Paddling out, you can lean back to get your nose just over a breaking wave and lean immediately forward to pop the rest of the craft over to the otherside. Some crafts can be too high volume (relative to paddler) to effectively do this. In these case, you may want to lean forward into the break to punch/spear through.

Through touring, my SOF is very low volume and my trim in it gives neutral weatherhelming up to about 20 knots. Past that I start to weathercock. To compensate when heading in downwind situation, I have about an 1" of movement back and forth, I tend to push my butt back as far as possible (not lean back which is lousy for stroking technique) to lock the stern in more. When I get strong beam winds, I tend to shift weight a bit too to compensate (probably more edging than leaning) but I can’t say exactly since it’s been awhile since I’ve been out with the SOF.

sing

Going downwind in up to about 2’
of chop I like to lean forward with the least bit of sweep to initiate a gybe then lean back to stop it. Using the paddle as little as possible is the sport of it. Gotta get the seat in the right place in the boat for your weight though.

I do this too…
I have noticed when I put my Kayak cart in the back hatch of my Impex Assateague, I am a little faster, and the glide is a little better, on flat water.

I did this test paddling along side of my friend who was in a QCC 700.

I have heavy muscular legs, which push the front down a little. This 5 Lb kart in the back, did make a little difference in ease of paddling, and glide.

I played around with this a lot in my last kayak, as my weight caused to do “funny things”. So of course I experimented a little with this one, and got these results.