least-defensible luxury camping item

The one I added last
Crazy Creek folding chair. I didn’t start using one till 2005, so there’s no reason I couldn’t do without it.

But I do like it. :wink:

Are you kidding?
FF already knows I’m there for her. Pass me the oil.

Andy :wink:

Scotch is the…
By goodness, the nectar of the gods is the first thing I pack on a kayak camping trip. A wee little flask in the pfd for the landing celebration and a bottle of something of a racy age of maybe 18, or older stuffed up in the pointy bow of my Brit boat.

If I were to leave something behind without batteries, it’d be my Nikon Monarch binoculars. If it be electronic, the wind up radio/TV/Weatherband/flashlight/cell phone charger do dad would be left behind.

A brandy snifter
And something to put into it.

Big screen plasma HDTV
Okay, I’ve never actually brought one. But that would be hard to defend. And to carry.

I don’t feel so luxurious
my electronic device would be a GPS.

My non-electronic item… solar shower.

my hat
http://tinyurl.com/c58s3n

No Guilt Here
Frequent portaging is a powerful cure for a tendency to carry more stuff than is necessary. I say those who do trips with portaging have already paid their Spartan dues, AND on trips with no portages they are entitled to pack as much luxury camping gear and gadgets as they can safely haul in their boat!

Chair and cart
Camping chair. I had a little camping stool that fit in my day hatch, but I know own a full blown camping chair with back rest.

It’s all about the comfort.

Also, maybe my fold up kayak cart. It’s sooo much easier hauling my yak to and from the water with it.

least defensible luxury camping item
http://englishrussia.com/images/bubble_baba/7.jpg

heh

– Last Updated: May-21-09 11:52 PM EST –

Andy is one of the few pnetters who's actually met me. That prolly stokes his enthusiasm a lil.

Lotion boy? ... a Lotion Man is what I need. thank god there are still some in Jersey.

about that grinder
Ok, first and foremost, I’m a coffee fanatic.

My home machine is an Italian PID double boiler espresso machine.

We have two grinders in the kitchen, one dedicated to espresso, the other drip. Both are flat burr grinders that don’t overheat beans, one is commercial.

With that said, the main fault of the GSI grinder is it does not make a uniform grind or a fine grind. Its not quite right for french press, not perfect for drip.

But things I’d find inexcusable at home are ok while camping. Something about that being out there in nature.

If I really wanted to do it right, I’d probably get a Zassenhaus knee mill. But thats about the same $ as a compass, so the GSI will do.

easy
My espresso maker…

No, I mean a really BIG bottle of Scotch
You never know when you might have to negotiate with the natives.

hey, my Ipod has a good reason to come
Err, some of the people I camp with SNORE LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN!

We had one trip where we threw shoes, paddles, empty beer bottles and rocks at someone’s tent all night.

Sadly, I have earplugs now.

But I do bring my Ipod too

hukaNM

earplugs
Advil PM and wine… you won’t hear a thing '-)

Chair and guitar.
Yes a guitar in a dry bag and the (ultimate travel)chair to relax in.

Ice Cream vs. custard…

– Last Updated: May-23-09 8:23 AM EST –

Yep, your memory is absolutely correct; world-class custard in Milwaukee (and in the Mad City, too.) Those not from Wisconsin will probably not understand the importance of this conversation. We have yet to find a battery powered (or hand-cranked) frozen-custard dispenser, never mind one that will fit in a Wenonah! Sounds like a marketing opportunity to me...

guitar…??? in a kayak?