least-defensible luxury camping item

Simple…
My home-made LED spring pool lighting system w/ batteries. If I’m not sleeping in my canoe then I usually bring along my 4-LED-SPL".

I tie off my canoe between two trees over a spring. I attach the batteries to the center of my canoe pole which is centered across the beam of the canoe. From there I run 30 ft. of wiring out to the ends of the pole and down into a spring w/ an LED inside a small flashlight reflector with a small weight attached. I then do the same with another underwater LED set up from the bow & stern deck caps. I usually set them roughly 8 - 12 ft. off the bottom of the pool. I use red, green, blue, and white LEDs. Really cool lighting effect that lasts all night and with rechargable batteries nothing’s wasted.

Esthetically pleasing but definitely a luxury item.

My Big Baby Taylor Guitar
on the back deck of my kayak in its dry bag.

shaving cream
everyone thought I was silly when I heated some water and pulled out a razor and mirror on the Allagash, but man was it refreshing to lose that 6 days of stubble.

outback oven
I could live without pizza and biscuits and bread, but why?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2661917986_c0a9055359.jpg?v=0

queen size air mattress w/battery pump
Of course when I go my husband goes too and we split up the gear so carrying luxury items is easier.

We also carry full size camp chairs and a folding table.

He paddles a kayak and I paddle a solo canoe.

Vortex Blender
Absolutely required to make adequate Margos!

I have a small AC window unit
in storage. Every time I see it I imagine a way to run it into my tent. In the mean time, I have two Ryobi fans that take rechargeable batteries and at least keep the air moving on hot nights.

I offer no excuse…

– Last Updated: May-25-09 2:32 PM EST –

I offer no excuse or explanation for any gear I choose to carry.
I bought it, I pack it, I unpack it, I load it, I unload it, and I haul it downstream in one of my solo canoes.
I am no longer a minimalist; been there done that.
If you are; your option, no problem for me.

BOB

That would be a
whisky glass. Real campers drink from the bottle.

A camp chair
Dunno how people sit on rocks and logs or use those canoe chairs that you set on a rock. No thanks. I need a chair to rest my weary old bones.

That is a great pot
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2238017300096525636ltLcSO

Plus, it’s base can be used for BB gun target practice.

Heck Yeah…
A deal breaker on any boat I buy is whether my chair will fit in the rear hatch…no fit; no buy.

thermarest chair
I have the special chair sling that folds to near nothing (and fits great in that tiny area inside near the stern) and uses my thermarest (hmmm, is that too much luxury). Very comfy and easy to pack.

If I’m lucky enough to have good trees around I also bring a very compact hammock for ultimate relaxation.

Chairs are easily defended
on several fronts.

When I was a teen, we sat a) on the ground, b) on stumps and logs, and C)on overturned Grummans.

I am no longer a teen. And I shall not sit upon my BG Magic.

Last year at Assateague one fellow lacked a chair and chose option a. He quickly went from “Jeff” to “Tick Boy”.

As I said, QED.

Jim

Hey Joel
I’m on the west coast, sitting on the porch of a crooked cabin overlooking the Pacific, one of the kids here was playing lazy guitar and it would be just right if you were there.