Leaving yak on roof in the sun.

I wonder if any of you have had hull damage by leaving your yak on the roof in the sun for a day? I may have to and would loosen the straps if I did. FishHawk

A day won’t hurt, especially if you
use 303 from time to time. What do you do when you paddle, go for an hour or two and put the kayak up? I’m sure you spend more time than that out on the water in the direct sunlight, unless you paddle primarily at night. Don’t even have to loosen the straps and I wouldn’t, might forget to retighten when you come back out. But, then, I’m getting old and forgetful.

disagree with that first response…
…a full day in the sun tightly strapped down is enough to deform many plastic hulls, if you don’t have cradles.

I used to have plastic, and I wanted to leave my boats on the racks for long periods, so that’s one reason I switched to thermoform.

plastic or glass?
Obviously there’s a big difference between plastic and fiberglass. With my glass boat, I usually loosen only the stern line (which will loosen the bow line by doing this) if I’m going to be parked all day or over night.

If I had a plastic boat, I’d probably do this and loosen the straps and try to find a parking place in the shade. It would only take a minute or two to do this and could save you some grief.

Pungo lives on Van in summer
In a Thule wet glide combination with straps over top. In the way back past, 2003, there was some mishaping based on the way another person strapped two kayaks up there but sitting in the sun fixed the Cape Horn (which I had but did not use).

For my situation this is what works best. It isn’t the best way, it is the best way for me in my situation.

so does the pungo live
(disclaimer: i have no idea what a “wet glide combination” is and my catalog is on my desk at the office. so, sorry if the following is, well, dumb, given that the original poster already specified.)

upside down or right side up?

so far i’ve been cartopping the ‘little floaty thing’ upside down right onto thule racks. i tried adding pool noodles to soften the cinch, but still didn’t like what it seemed to be doing to the boat. i left the straps with noticable give, but still tight enough to not risk them bouncing loose on rougher road.

i just picked up a couple of foam pads with slight "V"s cut into them for hull support, and plan to mount them on the bars so i can tie down right side up…especially for roadtripping.

does that sound like a better scenario?

once i get my second boat built, i’m planning to add ‘boatrests’ to the rack, but right now i’m still trying to decide which configuration i want–rightside up, or sideways.

(apologies for the ramble…)

I have had no trouble when the kayak
was properly supported. Reasonable tension non straps will not affect the hull unless the straps are crossing an area easily depressed, like the area in front of the seat in a poly Necky.

Also remember heat and altitude effects on floatation bags. I leave them in the boat, but soften them somewhat.

Its really lovely when you guys slam
leaving the straps firm, but will travel hundreds of miles in hot weather with tightly strapped down kayaks. I’ve left my kayak tied tight for very long periods of time and not had any problems with depressions from the tie dosns. Maybe you pull too hard on the staps or something. But, the jist is that its not going to hurt the plastic if UV protection is maintained, at least no more than when paddling all day long in hot weather.

Where It’s Strapped Matters
Try strapping the boat down at the bulkheads if at all possible. Much less likely to lose it’s shape there.

Two different kinds of damage
UV damage can occur while paddling or cartopping, or just sitting on the ground.

Denting from straps only happens out of the water. Kayaks are very strong when floating in water, not so strong when supported in only a couple of places and strapped down.

Good cradles are better than straight bars, even padded straight bars. But plastic yaks are still vulnerable to the heat + compression combination.

I just loosen my straps when leaving kayaks on rack. You can add cues to remind you to tighten before driving (knot the loose end to a bear bell or bright rag).

My South Florida Test Project
I think just about anybody down here can vouch for me when I say my kayaks have been on my rooftop for about 7 years now.

Yes a plastic boat will discolor, yes a glass boat will oxidize and fade, safety lines will fade and bungies will eventually melt and lose their elasticity. Yes a plastic boat will dent or even bend from sitting on just about any type of rack or mount, top or bottom of the boat. The dents do typically work themselves out. Certainly

a kayak should be taken care of, washed , waxed plastic treatment etc.

BUT my biggest concern is that thing sitting in the garage and never having the opportunity to get faded, oxidized, dented or scratched from extensive use.

In my opinion use that boat, when people chuckle at you for having that kayak on your roof top all the time you just come back and say, well what did you do last weekend, last night, this morning before work ? well I kayak-snorkeled, I had a kayak-dinner date, I enjoyed my coffee on the Atlantic ocean while the sun rose and a pod of dolphin swam by.

Brian

SoFlo

COHO STORAGE
Just wondering! I have my Pygmy Coho tethered in the middle of my pool so I can just go out and practice various things at any time. I live in North Texas and it has been very hot here. Will I hurt my Coho leaving it exposed to the extreme heat and sunlight for a long period of time?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jim

Use this
SPF45 sun sceen.

If you don’t use a UV protectant, it may
get brittle and start to crack or break up in 5-7 years. Fading will start sooner.

That was beautiful, have you written
any books or articles?