Less Suited for Kneeling

tumblehome question
Charlie, one of the things (there are many) I’ve never sorted out in my mind is how extreme tumblehome aids in paddle placement, comfort and bio-mechanics for sit and switch paddling.

We certainly don’t want to hit the gunnels with our fingers, but once there is enough tumblehome to clear the fingers, what is the advantage of having more? I think it looks great, and having the gunnels in against the knees can be comfortable, but if you are using a vertical stroke, the shaft is going to strike the widest part of the hull, regardless of the amount of tumblehome pulling in the gunnels.

I guess I am thinking about the Magic. Lots more tumblehome than is needed to clear the lower hand. But the shaft can still only get as close to centerline as the the widest part of the hull allows … unless you are not paddling vertical but reaching under with the blade.

As always, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Narrower facilitates double blade usage
and knee bracing, as far as I can tell. Maybe reduces wind effects also.

Maybe makes it easier to clear the gunwale in front when switching sides. Yeah, I think that’s an important one.

I second that question
I suspect it’s to aid those with poor stroke mechanics.

That’s why I said I’ve always felt I could cut down the Prism an inch or inch and a half. It’s not doing anything that I can feel besides adding freeboard. Heeling to the gunwale doesn’t add anything over heeling probably 3 inches to the gunwale (at that point you’re really beyond what the bubble chines can do for you). So if you got a good vertical forward, what’s the point of pinching in the gunwales so much?

a guess
Here’s a guess - true, the paddle can be no closer than the widest part of the canoe allows, but doesn’t every extra inch of tumblehome allow the lower hand to be closer to the water?

perhaps
with the hit and switch technique, where a really vertical paddle may be not as necesssary as when paddling with J-strokes, more tumblehome can be an advantage because it allows the paddle to be a little less vertical, which paddles easier. Also that allows a slightly longer paddle, which can be a benefit when you’re strong enough…

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dbarends/images/tumbl.png

I think its more that some canoes
need to be paddled sitting, bent shaft, hit and switch, to get their full speed potential. I don’t think any downriver whitewater racer would deny that the boat goes better if they can control it in rapids in a sitting position.

Kneeling is needed when more control of the boat is necessary in whitewater or heavy waves.

After 35 years, I still get uncomfortable kneeling for a long time, and I wouldn’t kneel if I didn’t have to on the rivers I run.

Imagine a Prism

– Last Updated: Jul-12-09 12:22 PM EST –

In Sawyer, Savage and Wenonah marathon and sit and switch canoes the paddler is sitting pretty low. Imagine how low a tall long armed guy's lower hand will drop. Most marathon boats have their tumblehome dropped to accommodate that tall, low seated, paddler.

Bell's Magic has higher seating, which allows a higher shoulder to the tumblehome, hence better heeled performance.

yes, I see
that can be an advantage too.

So added option D to my drawing:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dbarends/images/tumbl.png