Let's Go Paddlin' Okefenokee and some Florida Springs

Just in case anybody gets bored, gets a wild hair, needs a paddling fix, is already tired of snow, or lives nearby and just wants to get out. Come on out and paddle with me. I’m going to share this info also with the kayak junkie central florida facebook page.

Here’s my plan. I didn’t say it was a good one. Paddling Okefenokee swamp Ga Jan 9th-13th (loop from kingfisher landing). Oke campsites are Maul Hammock, Big Water, Canal Run, Bluff Lake. Salt Springs Fl Jan14-16, Juniper Springs Fl Jan. 17-18, and Alexander Springs FL Jan 19-20th. Let’s go paddling. PM me for specifics.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking Florida trip but in March.

1 Like

One day I need to do a trip on Suwanee River. Maybe I will go crazy and take part in the Suwanee 230 one year.

A couple years ago, I did a similar, but shorter route. I went to Floyd’s Island instead of Canal Run. It was beautiful, and I enjoyed every minute of it even when the paddling was tough. I went in late March, and they were doing trail maintenance. The maintenance caused some big rafts of detritus that were almost impossible to paddle through; I wish I had had a push pole. The other difficult section was from Floyd’s Island to Bluff Lake. You’ll be going through the same area. It was extremely tight, and shallow, and I was often pulling myself along with the vegetation rather than paddling.

thanks for the update, floyd’s island is a hard campsite to get, thus canal run instead of it. Things vary a lot according to water levels. March is probably the best time to go for the wildlife and when a lot of stuff starts blooming. Jan is when I could get permits and just wanted to go some place warmer where I wouldn’t need to wear a drysuit. I have made 6 previous trips to okefenokee but it has been a long time since I platform camped, sometime back in the 80s. They won’t let you legally skip a platform so that complicates things. I’ll be kayaking out of the pakayak on this trip. I’m not worried about distance because I usually get after it on solo trips, not much else to do but paddle, when you are alone in the middle of a swamp. Group trips are more social, I’m hoping in florida I’ll boat with some locals.

1 Like

Despite the difficulties, I had no problem reaching the day’s platform with plenty of light to set up camp. Even if it was legal, I don’t think I would want to skip a platform that’d be a long paddle.

1 Like

The Suwanee near the SRSP is a really nice paddle. I wouldn’t do it , and didn’t, in very high water.

1 Like

Now is a good time of year to see the manatees at Blue Springs.

1 Like

Looks like you are getting some serious rain the first day of your trip.

Hey Ken if you are in northern Florida we should hook up in the next 4 days. Saw you on the paddle junkies page but have no email with new phone. It is a server issue. My phone 304 575 Nine four four nine. Let’s go paddling!

1 Like