Let's see your paddle collection

Wow, that is quite the collection! My daily driver is a Gearlab Kalleq and frankly I have never tried any other carbon stick. What are some of the main differences between all your paddles and what you use them for?

:musical_note: hey don’t you remember they called me Pal,…, Buddy can you spare a stick? :musical_note:

1 Like

This was from a search for who fits what. I first started doing multi piece paddles in order for air travel. Starting with wood and then taking the only carbon paddle made at the time {Superior Kayaks} and doing what I was told couldn’t be done. I made a two piece with the Lendal Padloc system.

Then the airlines changed the size rules for normal travel so I went back to the drawing board. I started with wood and made several 4 and 5 {storm with take out loom} paddles.

These worked fine, but I was limited as far as performance by wood as a material.

So I started down the rabbit hole.

Started making my own Carbon paddles designed to be made as a 4 piece for travel. {could also be made as a 2 piece, or a 5 piece }

This soon morphed into wanting to find what fit other paddlers optimally. {since my wife and 3 kids also paddled and needed a paddle that fit them and they too could take on an airplane.

And then that morphed into looking for the most efficient Greenland paddle shape for distance paddling. I also made some for teaching rolling . {had more flotation etc} and then the grand-kid sized .paddles

These lead to adjustable loom paddles. Paddles that had all interchangeable parts so as to mix and match different aspects.

The above picture is only a small portion of what I have made.

Here is a picture of some 4 piece carbon paddle parts {all interchangeable } that will make many different sizes and shapes for testing.

Wood Paddles …some with finish curing …some done

3 Likes

Hi Jeff…I hope ALL is well. Life dishes out lemons sometimes… Keep up the fight.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, that was a fascinating read!

Reading a lot of these threads I can’t help but feel like the worst kind of paddler, the kind that just buys the things and doesn’t make anything. I was tinkering with the idea of making my own wooden stick as I at least know someone local who does that and could help, but the thought of making something in carbon, that’s a whole different level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Get em wet.

1 Like

One time I was meeting some people for a bike ride and half way there I realized I hadn’t put my bike in the truck.
Glad I’m not the only one that does stuff like that.

Does the Pat Moore work? Don’t have to make the paddle, but the tread, I think, on Aqua vs Werner morphed into Greenlands. There is a very good base there, and if you desire. You will do. Pat Moore did and that’s how it starts. I read thst you should avoid wood with knots, then I notice a brace of very attractive paddles with a few knots. I wonder if as with a truss, location of the knot is what determines the extent of the weakness. Also wonder how covering the paddle with fiberglass would allow more slender, lighter construction. Another thread displays a member’s hand painted paddles. Paint protect against UV degradation. Is there a collaborative business evolving.

I don’t think I can post picture. Nothing fancy, just Euros: a Carlise; a Harmony; about 6 assorted Aquas between Manta Rays, Sting Rays, Eagle, mixed of plastic, fiber reinforced, and carbon, All nice for the money except a carbon that I bought for my son-in-law to use. After I put some miles on various paddles, i used his while he tried my Kalliste. I gave him a Camano and put the unrecalled model on a dark shelf because it flexed like a Shakespeare Ugly Stick. My actual first line section is 3 Werner Camanos and 2 Kallistes. My favorites, in 240 and 250 cm. Soon to see a GP, or two, by spring.

All wood paddles are inside. All others are in the garage. Only a few of these are users. Most were included when purchasing used canoes. One was found broken along the river. The room is 20’x10’. To get the picture I used a wide-angle lens and took several shots and then stitched them together. The wide lens accounts for the distortion. You can see things better here.

4 Likes

Here’s a couple

3 Likes

Love your photos…

BOB

1 Like

Thx! Here’s another, cherry Caleb Chase guideboat paddle

1 Like