Let's take it from the top

Coolmax Or Supplex Baseball Cap
for me. Quicky drying and it fits under my helmet which I have on half the time or more.

Oh, sunscreen, lots of it on any exposed skin. UV sunglasses too.

sing

LIstento that critique of baseball
caps. My desert guide acquaintances and dermatogogist agree.

Long hair + boony.

Columbia Coolmax
Baseball hat, mesh sides for lots of ventilation, dries extremely fast. I wore my old boonies hat for awhile, too much hat for me, got a little warm, but the wide brim and the chin strap were both nice features, might break that out again in the fall.

Sexy sombrero amigo!

I’m still into no headwear…
Makes my curls go blonde every summer! Who needs hairdye when ya got the natural thing going?

hmm
I like the Sahara sombrero for summer use, and the Seattle sombrero for colder months. The Sahara has a wide brim that is slightly longer in the back for neck protection, it also doesn’t go floppy in the rain, and the under side is black for glair reduction. It floats too. The Seattle sombrero is gortex and fleece lined. It is THE hat to where in the rain!! Both hats have chin cords too…

Although I have a Columbia
bush hat or whatever they call it, the last time I wore it was several years ago up in Alaska.

They are good in the rain since they have a rim all the way around to shed it.

I liked its floppyness since it made me look as old as I am, which gave me a good excuse to make all the mistakes I wanted too.

Stay with your baseball cap. they are the cheapest and best. I don’t leave home without one.

I have left many of them on low branches on a down river run in a fast water race.

No need to look like a Aussie since we are not Aussies !!

Cheers,

JackL

Kavu Chilba
Looks really strange, but it really works. Wide brim, hat is suspended above your head so there’s lots of air flow.

Just as long
as it’s not a Braves hat.

Ditto the Columbia Coolmax
best ball cap around (IMHO)

Temples & the “C” word
I was a long time fan of Patagonia Spoonbill caps. Vented and solid, florals & plain. Always slapped on the sunblock to protect my ears. But then several years ago my Dad, who is follically challenged too, had two carcinomas removed: One from his left temple and one from inside his left ear. He had religiously worn ball or feed-style caps, but never protected his temples. It was then that I started looking for a wide-brimmed hat, trying Sequels (no longer made), Columbias, OR’s, and now Tilleys.

Doesn’t matter WHAT you wear, just protect that delicate skin!

Jim

hmm
baseball type caps always leave my ears & neck unprotected.

Yo Yo Yo!
'Specially if yo wear dem backards!

Jim

When I’m in my Cousteau mode…
I wear a red wool watchcap (always good for a funny look or two). If it looks like rain then it’s an OR Seattle Sombrero.

48 SPF
Coppertone Sport seems to stay on in the water pretty well. I always give my ears and neck a good coat. Even with a wide brimmed hat, you get light reflected up off the water.

Neoprene Baseball Cap
I like to dunk it in the water when it’s hot out and it keeps my head warm when it’s cold, and it stays on my head during “unrolling” practice should I choose to keep it on.

Lou

Also Tilley
A Panama Jack or Indy Jones style has a more narrow brim and no way to tie it on in the wind (usually.) I did see an out-take of an Indy filming where Harrison Ford took a staple gun and pretended to staple his hat to his forhead. It was a scene where he was riding on the side of a tank or something and the wind was doing it’s hat stealing bit.

Taj

Don’t see Tilly locally
I guess I’ll have to try on line.

Check Out…
the sporting goods places nearby that sell hiking / rock climbing / kayaking stuff. Or… go down to the army surplus store and pick up a couple of boonies.