LEXINGTON, KY

Any info on lakes within a 45 min drive that would be nice for kayaking. Thanks.

Why don’t you go down to the KY river,
put in above one of the Corps of Engineers lock/dams, and paddle upstream? In a kayak, even spring current shouldn’t be a problem. You get great limestone cliffs, little side canyons with waterfalls, redbud in the spring, etc. There are occasional powerboats, but I never found them a problem.

But as for lakes, I do not remember any
within an easy drive from Lexington. You would have to hope the Dix reservoir was full, and I don’t recall the access.

You could also go to Paris, and paddle UPstream into the heart of the horse farms. I think the name of the creek is Licking Stoner Creek. Flatwater, usually not much current.

lex
try herrington lake and taylorsville lake. also, ky river and elk river.

you might try
herrington lake it’s between lancaster and nicholasville on 27.it would be less than an hour from lexington…if you want to drive a little farther south you can get lake cumberland…I don’t care much for lake paddling myself to many power boats …i can help you with any of ky’s southern rivers or creeks however…we paddle about once a month… overnite a lot of the time… class 2-3 water prefered…if your around my area (somerset/monticello) give me a shout

KY!
I’d try Daniel Boone National Forest, but I’m not sure about lakes in there, or what water levels will be like. I’ve read it’s about as close to BWCA as you can get. Will give the full report later in Spring.

We’re practically neighbors. I’m in Florence, Ky.

Went to East Fork lake last week, it was pretty low.

lexington
you can paddle the elkhorn creek,that is real close to lexington.i live in northern ky and we go atleast 3 times a year. there’s an outfitter on the creek that rents boats and does shuttles,they also run on the ky river and the dix river. as for the elkhorn it’s class 2 water and realy beautiful. their website is canoeky.com

good luck

Zack

Canoe Kentucky
I just bought a Wenonah from Canoe Kentucky last month and I’ve got to tell you those folks are about the nicest, most accomodating people in the world. I’m a total novice and boy were they patient with my questions (and more importantly with my two young sons who did their best to wreck the store). They’ll shuttle anywhere from the Forks of the Elkhorn to the last takeout near the Kentucky River. I really can’t say enough good things about my experience.

Grayson Like
is another nice destination, close to Lex.

Jim

Thanks
Thanks for all the responses, I will check them

out.