licensing

I am in Michigan and was curious if it is required that you license your Kayak for use on rivers and lakes. I know we had the stickers for our small fishing boat, is this necessary for Kayaks?

Definitely not.

– Last Updated: Aug-06-06 5:08 PM EST –

All watercraft on Michigan waters, including privately-owned lakes and waterways, must be registered except:

watercraft 16 ft. or less, propelled by oars or paddles, and not used for rental or commercial purposes,
non-motorized canoes and kayaks not used for rental or commercial purposes, rafts, surfboards, sailboards, and swim floats, regardless of length,
watercraft registered in another state and used only temporarily in Michigan.

For most watercraft the registration fee is based on length. All registrations expire on March 31 in the third year of issuance.

Thanks
for the info!

SHhhhhh…
Don’t give those crooks in Lansing any more wild ideas !!!

Good Point…
I just wanted to make sure because I always seem to find the DNR when im out on the river. Last time they gave us a ticket for not having enough floatation devices in the fishing boat. :frowning:

They asked us “Well what would you do if you fell out of the boat?” I told them I’d stand up. (The river is not very deep) They didnt think that was very humorous. :slight_smile:

It isn’t the DNR that matters here
It is the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Any law enforcement officer can give you a ticket for, say not having PFDs, but the rules come from legislation and the DMV.

We just went through an ordeal where
the director of Texas Parks and Wildlife wanted to have a registration fee for paddle craft. He finally gave up because of organized opposition from many different paddle groups…kayak fishermen came to the forefront on the issue. Be watchful in your state, those guys do get funny ideas.