Life in Tandem | Official Documentary Short Film

A video story/tribute to a well known member of the FreeStyle canoeing community who was killed in a horrendous car accident. It is also the story of her husband (another well known member of the community) who was seriously injured and his recovery with support from the FreeStyle community.

8 Likes

Outtakes from Life In Tandem

2 Likes

Outtake from Life in Tandem

1 Like

1 Like

Thankyou Mark.

Bob and Elaine were two of the most graceful people in a canoe and in life. Thank you for honoring them.

Peter

1 Like

Such a beautiful love story. Such a wonderful community.

Thank you for posting their story.

2 Likes

Beautiful and sad all at the same time.

Good one.
The first thing I tell people when leading a canoe trip is “canoeing is a team sport.”
Normally you have a partner in the boat with you, but everyone in the other boats are part of your team. When there is a rescue, you will need to rely on them.

I like to encourage people to think in terms of the group. We take turns cooking dinner, cleaning up, building fires etc. Many people take to this outlook, but some never get it.

And some people never feel confident alone, in all fairness.
I love relying on myself, paddling where I want, at the pace I want, eating what I want, when I want.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed that. I bet it was something to be with Elaine and Bob paddling together. I’m feeling very inspired by them just from this short film. And I can only imagine that joy that Bob was feeling getting back in a canoe after the long road of difficult recovery. I hope he experiences that joy of being on the water for many years to come.

There’s definitely a very special connection that I feel with my wife when we paddle tandem, and it’s difficult to find words for it. On one hand, this is something I feel too: “I love relying on myself, paddling where I want, at the pace I want, eating what I want, when I want.” I can have that most anytime I decide to make some time to paddle solo - which is most of the time. But if you are lucky enough to find a partner, capable of letting go of those selfish thoughts in exchange for a new experience, and instead consider how you can enhance your tandem partner’s experience, and they are making the same considerations, it really becomes a much richer experience compared to solo paddling. My wife and I are nowhere near any “freestyle” level. But I can imagine that it could be a lot of fun working towards that should she feel so inspired.
I think this is it. This would be quite a long drive, but probably also a great experience:
MIDWEST CANOE SYMPOSIUM – FreeStyle Canoeing

1 Like

I was trying to figure out how to say that - you got it perfect. I love paddling solo, but there is nothing like paddling with a good tandem partner.

3 Likes

I have spent my paddling career with newbies and unskilled people most of the time. My first wife was a competent paddler. I have taught people to paddle on week long trips.

I test paddled a used Wenonah boat once with Jerry Nyre in Denver a famous local paddler on the N Platte River. He could control the canoe from the bow seat. That was a wake up call.

A few years ago I did a local run here on the Carson River with a guy who ran the fish hatchery. He w s from PA and very skilled. I paddled from the bow seat and it was like dancing. We ran a section with great whitewater, but it is rarely run because of 4 water diversions.

I had an athletic kid about 20 yo recently on a week long trip on the Willamette River. He was very strong and took instruction well After a week he was really good.

Treasure your good paddling partners. If you are married to one you are lucky.