"Light Brit Boat" = Oxymoron?

Ultralight Britt boats are not new.
I have a 37lb Nordkapp circa 1995. Carbon kevlar. 37lbs with hatches seat and compass mount. No day hatch. Wilma threw a tree on top of it and bent it in half. I unfolded it and it is now my sign boat!

Nordkapp LV
Did you purchase it at Sweetwater?

Yep… Sweetwater.
It was delivered to them yesterday. I knew it was coming so I drove over.

A few first day pics
http://www.tiny.cc/PoB8B

Pretty boat. Where’s the snow & ice?

Pretty boat…
congrats again.

43lb!!!
Dare I even ever hope for a 43 lb NDK Explorer? Yeah, I know, keep dreaming :wink:

Oops…
Guess you didn’t realize it was 43 kilograms - not pounds!!! ;^)

Really though, sounds great!! Here I was thinking my 53lb FG Greenlander was light but that is really really light!! Just don’t make the mistake of bringing it up north here with our rocky beaches and outcroppings!! Keep it there with the warm water, flat sandy beaches, etc etc…

So I suppose now you won’t be needing that rebuilt SOF - right? hehehehe

By the way, looks like my Black Pearl should come in around 31 lbs…no more portages-of-death for me either!

Congrats again!

Best

Scott

many pics look very familiar
I especially like the carbon black and kevlar yellow weave pattern, if you get your eyes close and can see only the weave it will play tricks on your mind.

My only complaint with the new Valleys and its hardly a real complaint is this…My last several boats I’ve installed the Rapid Runner Bilge System and want to do the same with the Q, but the cockpit bulkhead comes up so close to flush with the coming I can’t find space for the ejection port----so studying alternative locations, so any suggestions? In my nordkapp the ejection port is right on the seem near the foot bulkhead.

You will see that within three years

– Last Updated: Dec-04-06 11:29 AM EST –

I bet. With Valley and P&H raising the bar. NDK designs are excellent as you all know...It would be cool to see them follow

well speaking of rough(er) landings
i did order mine with the reinforced keel strip, a small weight penalty. I didnt order if for beach landings though, rather sliding on and off the floating dock…but agreed that Diolene is better for kissing rocks with.

3 yrs
Cool, I can wait! ;-))

I’m guessing, but
I imagine NDK will follow Valley with new composite technology.

First off, congrats!
on the sweet new boat… I know what it’s like drive for the dream - went 180 miles roundtrip for mine in August, worth every mile.

Like that color - it is not boring!

FWIW, my North Shore Fuego had specs of 20kg or 44 lbs.

Knowing that mfrs often fib at bit - LOL - I was pretty surprised that it weighed in, unwrapped, 47lbs on the scale at Forward Air.

In any case, I could lift a kayak of 60-70 lbs. Used to regulary lift 50 - 100 lbs at a second job (I weighed 105 lbs then, 115 now)

Just don’t see why I would choose to when there are some great alternative materials and workmanship out there. As with all things, there are individual preference & priorities. Light weight, low volume kayaks are two of mine.

Now that I can see it…
… Sweet! Enjoy!

Just to clarify
Just to clarify

Yes all our Kevlar Carbon (pro&ultra models) have vacuum infused hulls using vinylester resin. This is how we keep the weight down whilst providing the rigidity you mention.

We are still (to my knowledge) the only UK company doing this. P&H are still hand laying their Kevlar boats with polyester (although doing a nice job of them) and NDK likewise hand lay with polyester.

Anyway the main thing is you’re happy and enjoying your new Nordkapp LV

Happy paddling