Light weight sit on top

If you are looking for something both light and fast in a SOT, you could always consider a surfski.

I have considered a Surfski and tried an Epic V5. I found it less comfortable than the Stellar I tried. I don’t necessarily need to go fast as much as I need the boat to be lighter than my current 48 pound Hobie. One of the places that I take my kayak out requires me to carry it up and down a staircase that turns in the middle. So far the Stellar has been my best option as I heard from a Stellar rep that there is an optional backrest available. I was just hoping to come up with another option that was a little bit lighter than 48 pounds without sacrificing comfort. I really appreciate the great response that I’ve gotten from this forum. Thanks.

1 Like

You could try an inflatable stand-up paddle board with a seat attachment. I don’t know how comfortable they are but they are light and stable. I have one without the seat to paddle with my 3 and 7 year old grandkids. I can sit or kneel on it and paddle with both of them riding along. Not fast but convenient, especially easy for getting off and on to swim in deep water.

Unfortunately, you would be unlikely to find a demo of a Pakboat unless you can visit their US distributor in New Hampshire or locate someone who owns one near you who’ll let you try it.

In a perfect world, we could get to test paddle every model of paddlecraft that interests us but that’s unrealistic. Boats are not cars or running shoes. I’ve spent at least $15,000 on kayaks and canoes in the past two decades (20 boats total, 11 of which I still have) and only got to test two models (one kayak and one canoe) before I bought them. Reading lots of user reviews is the next best thing.

1 Like

No back support other than your own body.

I’m open to trying anything so I will check it out. Thanks

Yes, I’m discovering that trying most of what I’m interested in is not available. It makes things more challenging than I expected. Thanks

Your best bet to demo a kayak or canoe is with an independent dealer located near flat water. Some that run tours will also bring a boat that you are interested in trying and apply the cost of the tour if you buy that or another boat. Some will let you demo a boat for a small fee and others may hold a free or low cost demo day during the year.

Thanks, I’ve started to look into things like that. I didn’t realize it was going to be this hard to find the right kayak.

Depending on where you live, there might be local “regatta” get togethers on a public lake. There are annual ones near me where they have amateur races, vendor booths and, best of all, a lot of people who bring their own kayaks and canoes to paddle and socialize. At those events I have usually found that if I admire somebody’s boat on the shore and start to talk to them about it, they are often agreeable to letting me take a spin in it on the water. Same can also happen on group outings scheduled by outdoor clubs or through local outfitter shops.

I live in San Diego so mostly ocean or bay paddling. Some kayaking on small lakes but mostly salt water. I will check the internet for possible events. Thanks for the suggestion.

17’ long but kevlar so it’s got to be relatively light:

sing

1 Like

The Seda is a good boat at a good price dependant on condition

I saw this boat but it’s not really what I’m looking for. The 17 foot length would be a storage problem. Looking for more in the 12-14 foot range. Curious how much it weighs. Couldn’t find that out. Love the price! Thanks

I googled a bit about Seda SOT kayak. Couldn’t find a 17’ Seda SOT. What came up is the Seda Revenge that is OAL of 16.5’. The reviews are here. The kevlar model apparently weighs in a round 40 or so pounds. That sounds about right.

sing

1 Like

Here are some almost new Stellar S16S’

Stellar Kayaks End-of-Season - boats - by dealer - marine sale - craigslist

The ad says 35 pounds.

1 Like

I would be tempted if they were closer and I didn’t have an S14S.

At 35 pounds I am tempted, but way too far from Charlotte NC.

The Nelo 400 is new this year, but I am not sure how many came to the US or how many are left. There is one in the northeast but pickup only. The USA Nelo dealer is near the Oregon border (Columbia River Gorge) with others on the east coast. I wanna paddle one.

Specs: 12’ 5" L x 27" W; 37 lbs
https://www.nelo400.com/

There used to be lots of Seda boats in San Diego, it’s been many years but I tried I think 3 boats, they were all quite fast paddlers.