Lighter weight, FAST kayak for rivers & racing

I have a 63-lb Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. It’s tough, comfortable, & very stable. No fear in rough waterway waters here in Mississippi. But I’d like to get a lighter, faster kayak. I like to participate in races, although with the weight of my Tarpon, I’m not going over the finish line anywhere near the top group. I LOVE the Epic surfskis, but there are a lot of hidden tree limbs under our waters & I’d hate to run a surfski into something. Better off with a speedy performance kayak for now. I like having my feet pointed straight up, not angled. Any kayak recommendations? Thanks

Here you go, a surfski in the new stiffer CoreLiteX. Lighter than a Tarpon, far more rock forgiving than light weight composites like Epic, Fenn, Stellar, etc.
http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Octane%20175

I’ve paddled it on flatwater and found it more maneuverable than most composite surskis. If you’re racing this in the shallows I’d recommend installing a kick up rudder rather than the under stern standard.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Looks like a great kayak! A bit heavy though. Does the weight slow it down?

Epic makes a plastic surf ski now.

Cobra kayaks also has had one for a while, but I think they’ve had limited distribution of it in the States for while.

17’8" of plastic at 51lbs is not heavy in the world of poly. That’s quite respectable. The weight doesn’t affect the speed much. Lighter stiffer composites are more efficient and quicker to accelerate but they don’t care as well encountering obstacles. It’s all a trade off of features for the intended use.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Look at an Epic V-7. A couple of my fast paddling friends have them. Relatively low cost, fast and durable.

Stellar makes some remarkably light and fast kayaks and skis, with a variety of material layups.

Some great advice so far! Thanks to all. Are there any sit-ins that can move as quickly as surfskis, staying 18’ and under? Trying to decide whether to stay on top or jump in.

Look for a river layup ski. They will have the option for a kick up rudder along with a carbon/kevlar weave hull that is very strong. Weight is significantly lighter than plastic.
Think Kayaks and Stellar both carry them.

I’m not sure who carries Stellar in your area but
we have two rivers left and Global Paddlesports in Houston has some as well.

I may be down your way for the Pascagoula race in April. You’re welcome to try one out at that time.
The river Ace in the picture weighs about 31 lbs

Check Stellar surf ski’s…the new 14, 16 or 18 in the MULTISPORT layup. See YouTube for examples.

Everything Kayak in Gulfport, MS, may be your closest Stellar dealer. We’re fortunate to have one here in Pittsburgh - they had an open house late last summer and had a dozen of the Stellar kayaks and skis out to inspect and try out – I was really impressed with the lightness and quality. One of the owners paddled with us using one of the 18’ Racer touring models – he was flying with no effort. http://www.stellarkayaksusa.com/S18R-touring-kayak

If you want a “sit-in” then consider an Epic 18x or 18x Sport. Stellar has some similar options. They are a popular choice for the type of racing you are considering, if you don’t want a surf-ski. They carry a lot of gear should you decide to do “expedition races”. The 16x is also popular, but if you want speed, I’d opt for the 18x (unless you are very lightweight).

I didn’t see much difference between the Epic 18x and the Epic 18x Sport. Which is faster?

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/epic-18x-performance

From Epic’s website: “the waterline width of the 18X Sport is approximately ¾” wider than the 18X”.

On flatwater, the 18X will probably be slightly faster for most people . That said, “stability before speed…” In rougher conditions, if you can paddle the 18X aggressively and with good technique, then it will probably be a little faster. If you feel “tender” in the 18X and paddle “defensively” as a result, then the slightly more stable 18X Sport may actually be faster for you.

I use the 18X for the long Watertribe expedition races and find the stability and storage room to be more than adequate. I have even fallen asleep in it, without capsizing. Other paddlers choose the Sport for the same races, so try them both.

Thanks for all the great advice! Next step is to try them out.

Try to remember to let us know which one you get.

I demo’d a Stellar S18R today in light chop in a light rain. As expected, I got dumped! (My first swim!..and second! Please remember I’m coming from a WS Tarpon 120 that’s so stable I probably could’ve done jumping jacks in it.} I think I’ll be able to develop the balance skills to paddle it with confidence, but it’ll take time. I definitely want to get a racer later - hopefully for next season, and I’ve made notes of everyone’s recommendations. (Thanks again, everyone.) I’m thinking that, for now, it would probably be best for me to get a kayak with a little more built-in stability so that I can paddle with confidence sooner. I’d like to use a new boat in some races in May, if at all possible. I’d love to hear your recommendations for efficient, fast, lighter tourers one step down from what we’ve been talking about. I’m ready to demo!