Lighter Weight Rec Kayak

A friend located a 10’10" Riot thermoformed kayak for me. About 35 pounds and a delight to paddle. I’m 5’5" 125 lbs, and have the same issues with my Wilderness Systems Tchaika 13’. I can lift, push the Riot into the back of my little wagon, launch it. I’m happy.

1 Like

A video was just posted comparing a rotomolded plastic to thermoformed to composite 12 foot rec (almost day touring) kayak. Might be worth a watch.

2 Likes

Excellent reviews. My first solo kayak was a 12’ Perception Acadia. Mfr have learned a lot since then . I know which one I’d recommend for a beginner and I still get asked.

1 Like

Look for a Perception Tribute 12 ft., 39 pounds, small cockpit, and specifically made for woman, although there is no rule against a slim guy, like me, can’t own one. These are not made any more but they are out there on Craigs list, Facebook Marketplace. I really like mine and it’s the quietist boat I’ve ever paddled. It’s also fast and relatively maneuverable. Good luck. Andy

1 Like

Look at the Hurricane Santee 126 I have the Sport with the wider cockpit opening which makes entry easier. Handles well and good speed with stability 37 lbs.

1 Like

Delta 12s - 12’ length, 24" width, 38 pounds. Delta says it is a light touring kayak. Made for small to medium paddlers. Gets great reviews.

Keep a close eye on marketplace and CL. I picked up 2 eddyline sky 10’s in excellent condition 2 MIT 100 auto inflatable pfds, 2 bilge pumps, 2 Werner CF shaft paddles, j racks and some other odds and ends for $800. I’m a bit heavy for the sky 10 but it’s what my wife wanted for her. It weighs all of 32 lbs. I may keep the extra sky for family or sell once I find the skylark I want for myself.

Saw a santee 126 last week for 400 and a eddyline sandpiper 12 for $600 this week.
Economy is tough, deals come around if your patient.

I know it’s always better if you can try stuff first. However your requirements on weight and price limits it some. Hence if you buy used and it doesn’t fit after a season you can sell and start again without to much difficulty.

1 Like

You can get lots of advice, but you must try out the kayaks in person as a must.
Go to the biggest demo day you can find (usually in April) and try a dozen or more kayaks in that day. You will notice what feels right to you and which one to choose. Every seat and every boat is different, you must fit into it. Just my 2 cents after owning and selling over a dozen kayaks over many years.

I bought a 12’ X 20" current design raven on Clist. 26Lbs glass/kevlar layup. Unbelievable price of $325 US. Not a rec boat but a performance touring model with 150lbs. total capacity. I have not seen another one for sale.

4 Likes

Check out the Delta 12S. It was made for smaller frame paddlers. It is 12’ long, 24" wide, and weighs 38 pounds. The last price was $1,395. I have a Delta 15.5 GT, and I like the seat way better than the one in my Eddyline Fathom. Both my daughter and a friend of mine leave their kayaks at home and use my Delta when it’s available.

https://www.deltakayaks.com/delta-12s/

Agreed! Try first if at all possible. Maybe not in April, though, depending on locale … quiet water is often too hard here still! :ice_cube:

I’m curious. How many places are there that offer trying out various models of light weight kayaks? In California I only know of one place in Northern Ca that offers a couple variations that fit the OP criteria. I’d have to drive 500 miles. Is it common in most states?

Good point. I can think of only a few. Might be useful to compile a list.

I know of one on the east coast, Mountain Man in Saratoga Springs, NY, has a paddling shop and rental outfitter base on Fish Creek just outside of town. Lake George Kayak on the eponymous lake 45 minutes north of Albany used to have test paddles right from their dock but I think they ramped that back. There was one outfitter left on Lake Tahoe in northern CA when I was out there in 2017 but several others had stopped selling and renting kayaks and shifted wholly to SUP’s. And our only local on-the-water seller/outfitter closed and relocated last year.

The other Mountain Man store (Old Forge, NY) offers test paddles too. Their annual “Paddlefest” was fantastic for testing, but it went away during the pandemic and hasn’t returned. Haven’t yet seen an announcement for 2023.
Other NY stores with testing include: Oak Orchard in Waterport (near Rochester), Bay Creek (Rochester also), Adirondack Lakes and Trails in Saranac Lake and (I think) Raquette River Outfitters in Tupper Lake. Rutabaga Paddlesports in Madison, WI is moving to a new store next to a pond for testing their boats. The only one I know of in the West is Tumalo Creek in Bend, OR, but I’m sure there are more…

Not many places offer trials. Pay for a test paddle, one day a year maybe demo day, or if you’re a good previous spending customer.

1 Like

Unfortunately MM charges $50 to test paddle! Which comes off the purchase price, IF you buy within a short timeframe(sorry I forgot the time limit. I choose to drive 65 miles to Raquette River Outfitters, they are fantastic people and do NOT charge for test paddling​:+1::+1:

1 Like

Good to know re MM! It’s been at least 8 or 9 years since I bought a boat there. Agree with PaddleDog52 - keeping an eye out for demo days may be the best bet in many areas. Midwest Mountaineering in the Twin Cities used to do them pre-pandemic. Not sure about 2023.

1 Like

Mountain Man was listed for sale when I was up there in September. Something over $3 million. No idea if they are still trying to sell it or how long they will remain open if they are.

I forgot about Raquette River – shouldn’t have because my brother lived up in Tupper Lake for 18 months from mid 2020 through 2021 (as a contractor remodeling apartments for a landlord up there) and his apartment was on the lake within spitting distance of the outfitter, who I visited a couple of times when I was up there staying with him on my way back from Maine last year. I brought my kayak and brother has one too, so we would paddle on Raquette Pond, launching from the same area the outfitter uses. It is a nice shop.

I fear we are in another cycle of losing great outfitters – troubling news about Mountain Man being for sale. But I know from having worked for several outfitters that it is a time consuming and risky business as the popularity of various outdoor sports fluctuates and the margins are modest and the handling costs great with the equipment and products.