Lighter Weight Rec Kayak

What I’ve seen in places that offer rentals have not been high end or for that matter you have any choice. From what I’m reading it looks like the East coast has/had more options than the west. In my case it’s a 500+ mile drive on the west coast.

My point in this is I frequently read you have to try first before buying yet for most that’s not feasible. Waiting for a possible demo day? In the mean time life passes you by. I’ve seen some others post buying used which I think in all so many cases is the alternative option. It’s what I use and has worked for many items. Research as much as I can buy used as smart as I can and if it doesn’t pan out sell for little or no loss.

2 Likes

Many dealers if they are near the water and/or run guided trips will let you demo a boat that you’re are interested in. If there is a fee, they will usually apply it to the cost of the boat if you buy it.

The first canoe that I paid for myself was from Dicks. A vendor set up a pool in the parking lot. Where I tried and bought two canoes and a rec kayak. The next two kayaks were from Hudson Bay Outfitters, untried. I wasn’t happy with either boat. The next boat I bought on a tryout day hosted by the outfitter Eastern Paddle Sports who supplies rental boats to Gunpowder State Park. I tried out used, as well as different new brands carried by the outfitter, before I finally deciding on a new 140 Pungo. The next year I bought a 125 Tsunami during the same outfitter’s tryout day promotion.

Within a one to two hour drive of my home, there are three outfitters that have facilities to offer test paddle opportunities. Annapolis, as well as Shanks Mare near York, PA, and Blue Mountain Outfitters near Harrisburg, PA. I bought the 145 Tsunami untested, because I knew what to expect. I tested and bought a 175 Tsunami at the Gunpowder tryout event. The other 140 Pungo, as well as the SP, 140 and145 Tsunamis were bought used without trying out. The only other boat that didn’t fit my expectations was the SP, but it fill a void in the fleet for young paddlers.

CLC has test opportunities in Annapolis every year, as well as a recent one in Mystic and one in California. Some areas are more fortunate than others.

On the other hand, some experienced paddlers know what they want and need. It doesn’t hurt to do trial and error, if you can afford to upgrade or plan to sell what you don’t need. Thats how you learn.

Out of the different boats I own, I use one 90% of the time, and the others are for family. The two that I didn’t test first, I won’t sell, because I don’t like them and wouldn’t pass them on to another paddler, unless the person was looking for the specific model.

Sounds as if the east coast has a lot more options than I ever see out here.

Unfortunately. Probably true. There was a time when outfitters were overflowing with floor models. Then it would be worth the effort to plan a vacation in an area like this. You could test the boats, buy the one you like and paddle the area. Especially when you could coordinate with a member in the area. However, today its hard to find stock. I missed out on testing a 15.5 Delta last year and again this year by one week. The outfitter won’t get new allotment until next year. Its the same story everywhere, you can’t get people to work. Isn’t that a paradox. Raise the minimum wage and fewer people want a job. Who could have predicted that . . .

1 Like

The Hurricane Santee Sport 116 is a very lightweight boat. I have one and can carry it easily to the water, and I have a bad back. Not sure how much It weighs but it’s well under 40lbs. The kayak handles well and cuts a smooth line thru my nearby lakes I really love the huge cockpit, allowing this older, less nimble kayaker some ease in getting in and out of it. I have other, heavier boats, but this one is so easy to just put in the back of the truck and get out there

2 Likes

36.5 lbs. according to the manufacturer.

Another boat that fits people like the Wilderness Systems Piccolo and the Current Designs Raven is the Fenn Bonito. It will be a bit more than you’re looking to spend new, but should come in under $1500 used. It’s also a bit longer than your listed range (13.5’ x 19.5", 26 lbs, $1700 new, rated for people up to 165 lbs).

For a smaller cockpit, there’s the Nelo FK Maxi (13.5’ x 15", 20 lbs, $1450 new, rated for people up to 110 lbs).

These boats are tippier than anything that’s been mentioned here so far (although the Raven is only 0.5" wider than the Bonito, the Raven is a lot flatter on the bottom, with a lower seating position, and has more primary stability as a result) and it will be harder to adjust the bucket to be comfy if it’s not to your wife’s liking, so she may want to paddle before buying if she hasn’t paddled a similar boat.

These are technically kids surfskis and not rec kayaks, but I own one because I wanted something rec kayak length that’s more responsive and lighter than a typical rec kayak and it works great for that purpose.