Lightweight kayaks - good ones

NotThePainter: I didn’t build it, Dawa Nordrup out in Oregon built it in 2007. (he’s an American Buddhist monk and former boatmaker who used to custom build them under the name “MonkCraft”.) But I can tell you that it is an only slightly modified version of the 1935 Sisimuit in the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Harvey Golden surveyed it and here are the metrics linked below, from Brian Schulz’s Cape Falcon Kayak website. That should give you what you need to pattern it. I also have an album of shots taken while it was being built and can send you a link. Frame is fir and cedar, skin is 8 ounce ballistic cloth with 2-part epoxy. No metal parts or fasteners – all notched and tied together with artificial sinew.

The kayak is very sweet – fast and tracks like an arrow with that skeg built into the keel. Behaves very well in rough water and is not twitchy, even though it is only 20" abeam. It was designed as a seal hunter’s boat, so the paddler could approach an animal on an ice floe quietly and then lay down his paddle and aim a rifle or harpoon as the boat continued to slip towards the target. I sit on a piece of 1/2" Ensolite splayed in the hull and it has a Snapdragon backband and adjustable foot pegs. Also a standard keyhole cockpit which makes entry easier than the traditional small round “ocean” cockpit. The little perky tail on mine is strictly for fun and serves no purpose. I named it Sisiutl (the two headed sea monster of Pacific Northwest native mythology.)

http://capefalconkayak.com/1935sisimuit.html

I’d like to eventually build one myself (different model, maybe a Cape Falcon F1). I’m going to the traditional Greenland paddling skills session in August up in Michigan – Qajaq Training Camp – and one of the seminars this year is on SOF frame building. When I went in 2017 they had hands-on skinning sessions.

If you have not purchased yet, the Stellar 16 is the perfect boat for you. It comes in under 39 lbs, it is stable, tracks well and even tracks better with the rudder down. The Stellar 15 is also a good boat, a bit slower. Do not buy the Stellar 14.