lining canoe proper attachment of rope

searched archives and no mention of lining technique. Specifically where to attach the painters. IIRC a yoke attached to the bow seats or a single line from the bow seat area. Anyone have a more comprehensive explanation?

Hugh

Low

– Last Updated: Jul-27-04 12:40 PM EST –

The key is to get the attachment points fairly low. If by your seat yoke method, you mean two loops brought together by a carabiner UNDER the boat as a attachment point, then yes I agree. For a single point attachment on the bow or stern, it should be down near the water line, much lower than factory painter holes.

Lines tied too high, and the boat will tend to tip.

yes, yoke under bow …
seat. I’m sure I saw a diagram or explanation a while back that showed how to set up something from the bow seat without a yoke. We’re heading up to N Sask on the Waterfound and Fond Du Lac Rivers and will be doing some upstream travelling as well as the usual C1-C2 downstream stuff.

As a rule we don’t shoot anything while loaded in a wilderness location due to the tremendous downside of swamping or wrapping 200+ miles from help.

Hugh

There’s some help on lining
in Cliff Jacobson’s book Expedition Canoeing. I recently installed some “Tug Eyes” in the bow and stern of my Dumoine just for lining holes for my trip on the Waterfound & Fon Du Lac rivers last June. They worked great. But, in the book he shows one method to attach lines without holes in the hull by wrapping lines around the canoe. The book gave me quite a few ideas on how to rig my canoe for tripping.

Check out Bill Mason’s “Path of the
Paddle”. He goes into detail about everything you want to know about tripping including lining and tacking.

Doh! as a Canadian I should have known…
that… Had to dig out both Song and Path of the Paddle as they were at the bottom of my book case.

Thanks for the replies.

Hugh