Little kayaks on their J-racks

Little kayaks made of ticky-tacky

Little kayaks, little kayaks

Little kayaks, all the same

There’s a green one and a pink one

And a blue one and a yellow one

And their all made out of ticky-tacky

And they all look just the same.

Paddling.net is becoming the forum for little kayaks made of ticky-tacky. It has become so boring here.

Since this is an advice section let me give some:

If you aspire to someday paddle open water like a real sea kayak is designed to do, then your first kayak should be real sea kayak. If you desire to paddle white water, then buy a whitewater kayak. If your objective is to float around in a beach chair in flat water within a two mile radius then go buy a little kayak made of ticky-tacky.

Sleep with one eye open…
The little ticky-tackys are coming for you…

Be very afraid…

Not so fast

– Last Updated: Aug-22-08 1:21 PM EST –

... there hot shot.

Aspirations change. Pushing limits says more about a person.

20 miles on an ocean kayak? Is that all you've got?

Now if you want some advice...
Delete your stupid profile. It reeks immaturity and wanna be. You'll hate it too, if or when you grow up.

...and take those stupid glasses off your hat. You look like an ass instead of a bull but then again you don't look like a bull.

Paddlin' on
Richard

you’re a moron
Different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks & to each his own? Ever heard these?

Typical moron from CT. Thinks he’s above it all. Go get yourself a $5 coffee from Starbucks and leave everyone else alone.

There’s a reason why they make so many different types of kayaks. You may like performance sea kayaking, but a 60 year old retiree may just be out there to birdwatch. Or you have anglers that just need a rec boat w/ a built in pole holder to do some fishing.

Take your arrogant attitude and go find a site specifically related to performance sea kayaking.

Last I checked paddling.net covers all types of kayaking.

Anyone that enjoys being on the water in a canoe, touring boat, sea kayak or rec kayak is alright by me.

If you desire
to paddle long distance, flatwater, endurance trips, get a ???

This stuff is challenging, it’s just not big waves.

Avice: Go stroke your…
surf ski.

More advice:
Go paddle a canoe.

And just what
is it that you envy a bull? Oh, those! Right!

Yep. Good advice.
Canoes can be very humbling.

ticky tacky kayaks
When you are 67 may you go after the big waves in a big sea kayak.

Most fun I’ve had here in a while
Hi Greyak,

The little ticky tacky’s have begun their attacks. I’m a glutton for punsihment I guess. The real sea kayakers on P.net and everywhere else are outnumbered by about a thousand to one. So I expect to get attacked for any commentary on the changing state of “kayaking.”

The whole perception of what sea kayaking is has changed and it can be tracked by the subjects being discussed on paddling.net. To make any comment on the changing paddling society is to risk being labeled and elitist or worse, as seen by the personal attacks below.

We are headed for a kayaking implosion. There will soon be too many little plastic kayaks out in the world than the market can sustain. The percieved value of kayaking will plummet even more than it already has. Buyers of the new plastic kayaks will disappear because of the availability of even cheaper used ones. Dicks, EMS, etc… will not be able to afford the floor space for more cheap plastic kayaks. The next generation of paddlers will have grown up with little plastic kayaks in every yard. They will have little appreciation of what real sea kayaking ever was. The cost of entry into a real sea kayak will be percieved as too high in terms of price and time because the perceived value of kayaking will have shifted downward so much. The oversupply of used plastic kayaks will cause them to be given away like candy from freinds and relatives. Real kayak shops will have already shut down. Paddling schools will have shut down. The little kayak made of ticky tacky will ultimately be to blame for killing the sport.

Just watch it unfold. All the name callers will be into something else when this happens. So they will not likely be here on P.net when I get to say I told you so.

Wrong Again!
The more readily-available affordable kayaks are, the more the sport should flourish. Perhaps not sea kayaking. Not everyone can afford luxuries like a nice sea kayak.

I lived in CT for 5 years, and you exemplify the type of ignorance I encountered from several of my “neighbors” while there. Always competing w/ the Jones’, throwing your nose up in the air at everyone you perceive “inferior” to yourself. Key word: perceive.

There are those out there that would look at you and say sea kayaking isn’t a real sport (it doesn’t fit into their football, baseball, basketball way of thinking). They’d be discriminating against you, the same exact way you are discriminating against others.

T.I.T.P. the Video
"This is the Pond"…

An adventure video of rental Ticky-Tackys at the local park.

I started in canoes
I started paddling in canoes in my youth, mostly in protected ocean coves. My father raced canoes. The first Kevlar I ever saw was on his Wenonah back in the 80’s. That was a very cool looking boat to my young eyes. I’ve no disrespect for canoes.

That explains why the market is crashing
Those guys on Wall Street thought it was the mortgage industry melt down and the cost of fuel.

Where can I buy that?
My Google search didn’t find a vendor.

Attitude
Mr. Bull - If your attitude is indicative of a “real sea kayaker” then I’m glad I am not one.

I feel frustrated sometimes
regarding performance sea kayaking. The frustration is quite the opposite from wanting to be part of an exclusive club. I’m always trying to promote it. I’m happy to see all ranges of kayaks out there for different folks. I do sometimes question if everyone is given the correct sea kayak. I don’t like to recommend a kayak until I paddle with a person and know a little about them. I wouldn’t recommend that my mother get a sea kayak. But I equally would not recommend most of my brothers or sister get a rec boat, even as a day one beginner. An example would be a friend of mine and fellow paddler wanting to get into kayaking. He ran track in college, is young, in good shape, and I took him out kayaking a few times to introduce him not to just kayaking, but to the sport of kayaking. When he decided to look for his own kayak, and had determined that he wanted to eventually do open coast paddling, I told him to be sure to tell outfitters exactly his paddling intentions so that they could get him into the right boat. He eventually brought home a Whistler. Without saying anything negative, I asked what he talked with them about. He said after telling them his intentions, that they still felt this would be a great boat for a novice. I zipped my lip as it was a store closing no-return deal, but you can bet I felt frustration. After discovering that this really wasn’t a performance craft (I’d bet not much more than a half dozen paddles), he got a great deal on a P&H Quest LV - awesome open water boat in my opinion - I don’t own one, but I love that boat. But this kind of thing always makes me wonder how many would-be sea kayakers get bored in a rec boat, that may have found greater enjoyment starting in something that challenged them with a real understanding of sea kayaking’s potential. Maybe hardly any? I’m not really sure. (Keep in mind this example was introduced to kayaking by someone who loves the open water, so it doen’t really point to everyone naturally gravitating to a different boat.) But it is hard to put together a group of sea kayakers to learn skills and be challenged together when newbies are led to believe that a true sea kayak is “too much boat for them” - terribly misused phrase that I’ve often seen used by people thinking that a straight, few-mile paddle will be easier for them in a short rec boat than a stable sea kayak simply because they have never experienced the reality and have been ill-advised.

Again, nothing against rec boats, certainly not looking to be or feel exclusive, not feeling elitist, just always hoping to share my fun with others and having a hard time understanding why such a fun sport attracts so few while so many seem to have been introduced to kayaking (evidenced by so many rec boats around).

"If 'everyone had your mentality (?)

which is in question, then you’d be a sniveling kid on the sidelines.

G_K

CapeFear,

– Last Updated: Aug-22-08 3:56 PM EST –

~~But this kind of thing always makes me wonder how many would-be sea kayakers get bored in a rec boat, that may have found greater enjoyment starting in something that challenged them with a real understanding of sea kayaking's potential.~~

I can understand exactly what you are saying. I thought I wanted to be an "all that" sea kayaker. I even got a boat that I consider as one that I could learn real skills in (using a lot of good advice from these boards). But I learned that I'm not, nor will I ever be, a die-hard adventuring sea kayaker for many reasons: One, my health - not as good as it used to be. Two, my family and the time family demands (but I'd rather paddle my rec boat or canoe these days because I love to watch my daughters eyes when a fish jumps or a bird takes off, and we can't fit in a sea kayak together). Three, challenging paddle opportunities in the middle of the state vs. the coast are limited.

I often think of the phrase "I smell a salesman" when I see people in boats that are truly not a good fit for them. With all hobbies in life, you've got to learn the basics...you've got to crawl before you can walk. We bought used Pungo's when we started out. We now find we prefer to paddle them over our "real" Necky kayaks (see 1-3 above). As has been discussed here many times, the "sport" has changed or more accurately, the business has changed. Most people just want to have fun and have it fast and as inexpensive as possible. That's why I paddle now...to have fun.
I appreciate your insight with your friend. I'm sure it was hard to keep from telling him what you really thought.

Thanks,
P