Little Kayaks on their J-Racks

Affordability!
I have an Old town otter but much bigger and it’s just to expensive. I would love to have a sea kayak if I lived near a coastline or the great lakes but I couldn’t afford one and it would be too big for the lakes and ponds I have access to

Any boat that’s fun is “Real”

– Last Updated: Aug-24-08 10:18 PM EST –

Interesting post. Let me see if I can add some "real" to it. After 25 years of teaching whitewater, flatwater,beginners, experts, kids, ole folks, disabled, enabled, racers, freestylers, marathoners and anyone in between, all I can say is if I had to ask any of the 1,000's of people I've taught and paddled with if they thought their boating was fun, each one would say "yes" without a doubt.
I own a Jensen Stripper marathon, a Dagger Blast and RPM, a Necky Rec/seakayak, Wenonah OC-1 and am looking to buy a Clipper Sea-1. I've owned many more than that and look to buy a few more. Yep...all real. Paddled silly boats in Chile, high tech ones in Mexico, folding ones in Vietnam and cutting edge ones in the states. All got the job done. Long distance...short distance...away from shore, near shore...on rivers and creeks and anything between. Here's what it comes to. Paddling is simple. Go grab one and use it. Doesn't matter what your in. Just put the blade forward and pull. Paddling is for anyone and anywhere and should never be put down. Too many places to go and see to worry about. Enjoy the day..thats all. The only thing I would suggest is good instruction...especially for a beginner. Other than that...got try em all. All of them are fun.

My last take !!!

Paddlin’ comes from the heart…not the boat, its design, composition or price.

Check out that profile…
That says it all…

I’m so "envy"ous… :wink:

You’d think at “his level”, he’d at least look like he was in shape…

Dude, 20 miles is nothing (especially in your boat), get off your high horse.

The advice in the OP does have merit:
“Since this is an advice section let me give some:

If you aspire to someday paddle open water like a real sea kayak is designed to do, then your first kayak should be real sea kayak. If you desire to paddle white water, then buy a whitewater kayak. If your objective is to float around in a beach chair in flat water within a two mile radius then go buy a little kayak made of ticky-tacky.”

Advising people to buy the right tool for the job seems to be a reasonable approach to a situation.

Of course, some people may be better served by starting out in less demanding craft and working their way up.

There are a lot of “real” sea kayaks out there that are made of “ticky-tacky” (plastic, I presume) that seem to serve the “real” sea kayakers quite well.

Different boats for different strokes & folks.

Paddle what you have
in a place appropriate for it—used to have a canoe, used it in places safe for it, used to have a “rec” boat, used it in the same places as the canoe, used to have a white water boat, used it in white water, now got me a “real”(as opposed to what, an “imaginary”?) sea kayak and use it on the sea(and other places.) I think the OP needs to take a chill pill–

Sure buttonhole yourself early
You ought to know what you want to paddle and where when you buy a kayak…

If I had done that I would not have a stableful of boats for any condition… my ticky tacky rec kayak led me to enjoy paddlesports a number of ways…and in lots of different conditions.

ALL of my 17 boats get used every year.

All I knew then was I wanted to paddle. The more I paddled the more doors opened.

If you have a ticky tacky kayak, enjoy it and dont forget your mind and your judgment is the most important too.

Gay site
What’s wrong with gay sites? I guess us gay folks are not allowed to paddle?

shut up and paddle…
Surfskis are so damn Magnum P.I., they’re ruining kayaking for “real” kayakers.

Quebra

Remember envybull
that 3500 dollars for a surfski and 20 miles don’t make you a paddler.

He must have drowned
in a tugboat wake accident. Haven’t heard a peep from the mighty mighty surfskier.

Probably just…
… remembered where he’d posted, and considered the audience, and inevitable disconnect, futility, etc. - and went back to his preferred sort of paddling.

Much as we all do.

Yup…

– Last Updated: Aug-26-08 7:16 AM EST –

Fade away, Just fade away... Like a lot of the ole timers here, just follow what you think is your "true paddling...(subjective determination)" and keep your bow pointed and moving in that direction.

PNet is waystation. You may come back but it will never be the same as when you first started and came here. PNet hasn't changed. You have. Change is inevitable.

sing

At least he didn’t…
…oops. Never mind.

WRONG FORUM, DUMB@$$…
Paddle easy,

Coffee